The Student Room Group

Anxiety and Driving

As a person who suffers greatly from anxiety, my upcoming driving test is causing me a great deal of unpleasantness. My question is, has anyone got any tips as to how I can best deal with the driving test and hopefully get the pass?
I also struggle with anxiety, when I took my driving test I constantly wanted to bail out of it. But they don’t talk to you constantly, they may ask you a few questions at first but that was it for me, my examiner was very quiet. Which helped a lot, as I absolutely hate small talk. Before I knew it I was back at the centre. Passed my test.

My mum told me just to pretend I’m driving with my instructor, it’s basically the same but they just not some stuff down. It goes faster than you think it will and it’s not as bad as anxiety makes it out to be.
My tip would be to do it whatever the cost and afterwards try and reduce the post match analysis by doing something really nice like going out for something you enjoy for the afternoon/evening with bf/gf/family/friends.

Breathing and something like the headspace 10 day free trial on mindfulness I would have found very useful at the time.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I also struggle with anxiety, when I took my driving test I constantly wanted to bail out of it. But they don’t talk to you constantly, they may ask you a few questions at first but that was it for me, my examiner was very quiet. Which helped a lot, as I absolutely hate small talk. Before I knew it I was back at the centre. Passed my test.

My mum told me just to pretend I’m driving with my instructor, it’s basically the same but they just not some stuff down. It goes faster than you think it will and it’s not as bad as anxiety makes it out to be.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, it helps to know it can be done. That’s a good idea as well, I’ll just try and treat it like another lesson. Thanks 🙌🏼
Reply 4
Original post by marinade
My tip would be to do it whatever the cost and afterwards try and reduce the post match analysis by doing something really nice like going out for something you enjoy for the afternoon/evening with bf/gf/family/friends.

Breathing and something like the headspace 10 day free trial on mindfulness I would have found very useful at the time.

I appreciate the reply, headspace is always something I’ve meant to try and having something to look forward to might help me to realise it’s not the end of the world. Thanks again 🙌🏼

Quick Reply

Latest