Going abroad after receiving PGCE Bursary Watch

Blue Dog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello

Does anyone know if I have to return the bursary if I don't intend to stay in the UK? On a form I had to sign I had to assure the university that I would seek out a teaching role in England after the course. If I don't would I have to give the money back and if so how long do they hold me accountable until they allow me to leave?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Blue Dog)
Hello

Does anyone know if I have to return the bursary if I don't intend to stay in the UK? On a form I had to sign I had to assure the university that I would seek out a teaching role in England after the course. If I don't would I have to give the money back and if so how long do they hold me accountable until they allow me to leave?
Hi Blue Dog, :happy2:

I would recommend contacting whoever awarded the Bursary, whether that be the government agency or the university directly, just to be sure on the terms of it. It is best to get the correct information direct from the source. As one persons experience may not mean it is the same rules for your bursary.

I hope this helps,
Tom
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why did you sign the form and take the money if this was your intention?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello

I hope you have to give it back if you don't fulfill the requirements- that is tax payers money to increase the numbers of teachers in the UK.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Legally, according to the DofE, you can keep it regardless of what you do afterwards. I'm not sure of the legality of the form your uni has made you sign, but if you go abroad it's very unlikely they will be able to pursue you for the money, and the DofE who actually pay the bursaries certainly won't.
Blue Dog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Legally, according to the DofE, you can keep it regardless of what you do afterwards. I'm not sure of the legality of the form your uni has made you sign, but if you go abroad it's very unlikely they will be able to pursue you for the money, and the DofE who actually pay the bursaries certainly won't.
Hello

Would it be possible to send me the link of your source? I've struggled to find much information on the topic and I'm not very clear on the rules. The lack of transparency makes me unsure as to my options.

Thanks
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello

Would it be possible to send me the link of your source? I've struggled to find much information on the topic and I'm not very clear on the rules. The lack of transparency makes me unsure as to my options.

Thanks
Hi

There's a lot of information here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-academic-year and here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...arshippayments

Basically, there is a sort of expectation that providers should encourage trainees to seek a teaching role in England after completing the course (interestingly, it says nothing about whether the role should be state or private!). However, there's no real mechanism for clawing back bursaries once they have been paid, unless you withdraw from the course part way through.

Personally, I know two people who will be teach abroad in September (I did my PGCE this year)- the uni also knows, and they're fully entitled to keep their bursaries. Equally, the people I know who aren't going into teaching at all or who have failed to secure a post still get to keep theirs as well.

I can't really give you a source to say they don't have to be repaid, but if repayments were expected, then this would be made explicit in your terms and conditions from your uni.

If you're really concerned, do speak to your unis finance department and see what they say!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (71)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (197)
39.64%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.23%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.64%