Can you die from liver stones? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So my 84 year old gran has liver stones and a high temperature and she is in hospital. The doctor said that she could have liver stones and they found this out through blood tests. Today evening they will scan her and see if she has liver stones, and if she does then they will not operate on her because she is so old and would be placed in the intensive care unit and at her age patients don’t leave the intensive care unit and she can’t handle that. So can she die? She has had kidney stones before and had an operation while my grandad was still alive but this was when she was way younger than 85. Can she die or can she still live a good few years?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You can't really get proper medical advice on TSR, but it sounds as though your grandma has gallstones or similar. There are several different types of treatment for this and I'm sure they can make her feel comfortable.

Lots of people leave intensive care units, even in their 80s, the ICU is just a place where you can get very focussed nursing care when you need treatment every half hour or so and lots of monitoring. Make sure you ask all the questions you need to from the doctors and nurses.
roham
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Surgery or not and different treatment options would depend on her physical status and if the medical team deems it to be unsafe then surgery can carry more risks and do more damage than good.
Stay calm, I understand that what you are going through is not easy and requires patience, but try talking to your family and keeping each other's company. Regarding medical questions its always best to ask the treating consultant as they know the patient best, and dont be afraid to ask questions.

All the best
RachelThorpe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can understand your situation and feel sad about your gran. I know how it hurts when someone special to you and you can not do anything for them. There will some way other than surgery because surgery in that age looks more difficult and it can make it worse than before. So just pray and hope for the best. Your grab will be alright.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%