Lgbt at Sheffield Hallam Uni Watch

lukab
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I’m a transgender male starting at SHU in September. I haven’t gotten an official name change which means on paper I still go by my female name, however I’d like to be referred to as Luka in any non-official situations. Does anyone have any advice or experience in how SHU handles Lgbt students, specifically trans students? I’d also appreciate if someone could give me an appropriate email address of the university I can contact for further information. Thanks folks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lukab)
Hi! I’m a transgender male starting at SHU in September. I haven’t gotten an official name change which means on paper I still go by my female name, however I’d like to be referred to as Luka in any non-official situations. Does anyone have any advice or experience in how SHU handles Lgbt students, specifically trans students? I’d also appreciate if someone could give me an appropriate email address of the university I can contact for further information. Thanks folks
Sheffield appear to have a lot of support for LGBT. Am impressed. Hope you have a good time and its a safe happy environment for you free from any prejudice.
https://blogs.shu.ac.uk/lsss/files/2...ents-Final.pdf

If you are intending to transition then wouldnt it be easier to just change to your new name and be registered as that with the uni which then means all documents and all the lecturers will just call you that automatically? Also saves you a lot of hassle in the future with things like documents, exams etc.
[email protected]
[email protected].
https://careersconnect.shu.ac.uk/lgb...-lgbt-students
https://www.shu.ac.uk/about-us/equal...diversity/lgbt
Last edited by 999tigger; 4 weeks ago
lukab
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately changing my name legally would take a couple of months and a lot of money that I don’t have at the moment as I’m a german citizen. Thanks for the advice, I’ll check out the links
(Original post by 999tigger)
Sheffield appear to have a lot of support for LGBT. Am impressed. Hope you have a good time and its a safe happy environment for you free from any prejudice.
https://blogs.shu.ac.uk/lsss/files/2...ents-Final.pdf

If you are intending to transition then wouldnt it be easier to just change to your new name and be registered as that with the uni which then means all documents and all the lecturers will just call you that automatically? Also saves you a lot of hassle in the future with things like documents, exams etc.
[email protected]
[email protected].
https://careersconnect.shu.ac.uk/lgb...-lgbt-students
https://www.shu.ac.uk/about-us/equal...diversity/lgbt
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lukab)
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately changing my name legally would take a couple of months and a lot of money that I don’t have at the moment as I’m a german citizen. Thanks for the advice, I’ll check out the links
Under UK law you can change it easily and relatively cheaply.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
miss.eleanora
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
SHU are very supportive and if you reach out to student services via their email now they can tell you what can be put in place to support you and also answer your question for you (: Although they will most certainly respect your chosen name even if it's not what would be on documents because its not legally changed
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi lukab

Great news you are starting at SHU in September! As 999tigger has said, there is a lot of LGBT support available here at Hallam. A society you may be interested in too is the LGBT+ committee https://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/soc/12265/

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Bridget

(Original post by lukab)
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can add a 'preferred name' as well as your official name when you complete registration/enrolment - then that should appear on your class registers even. If somehow it doesn't, you can speak to or email your tutors to state your preferred name too.
it'snotthecounty
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by lukab)
Hi there, Luka!

A fellow LGBT student at Sheffield Hallam, here. To my own knowledge there is an opportunity to disclose your preferred name during enrolment. On the induction day(s) you'll sit with a Hallam employee who will relay all of the information you've provided them in person before you are directed to the photograph queue for a student card. If you've not had the opportunity to have listed a preferred name up until that point, it's most definitely the best idea to ask this member of staff and I imagine they'll be able to add a preferred name so that it'll be printed on your student card. That aside, I hope you'll consider joining us as a member of our LGBT committee/society. A link has been listed in the thread already. Do let me know if you've any other queries pertaining to being LGBT at Hallam.

Best wishes.
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 hours ago
(Original post by lukab)
Hi lukab

Thanks for getting in touch.

Just to confirm, when a new student pre-enrols online they have the option to state a ‘Known As’ name, this is generally the name they will see when logging into student systems such as My Student Record (MRS), it is also used to create their student email address, if a student doesn’t add a Known as name their first name will be copied into the field.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Bridget
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 6 Oct '19
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 27 Oct '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (229)
13.68%
Impatient (212)
12.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise