Awkward Job Centre advice Watch

Future Physics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The job centre are suggesting that I do an apprenticeship despite knowing i'm self studying 3 a levels, that being maths, further maths and physics. I am actually pretty good with studying a levels and to me its not really as difficult as it used to be and I am doing it because I love the subject.

Further then that they suggested construction apprenticeship which I know to be at least 2 years when I only need it for a year so why are they suggesting this? It is not right for me to take someone else's opportunity away to become a real worker through the apprenticeship scheme. I have found a level 2 vehicle maintenance apprenticeship as well and the money is worse then if I just get a normal retail job and at least that wouldn't involve that much work however I do want to learn about cars so that when I do eventually get on, I'll be prepared to fix problems with it plus it does have a slight engineering feel to it.

I'm just confused as to why they are suggesting this over retail which would pay more and I wouldn't have coursework to do. What are your opinions? I think this is a bit much and I think only a small percentage of people could do this but maybe I am looking at it wrong.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Future Physics)
The job centre are suggesting that I do an apprenticeship despite knowing i'm self studying 3 a levels, that being maths, further maths and physics. I am actually pretty good with studying a levels and to me its not really as difficult as it used to be and I am doing it because I love the subject.

Further then that they suggested construction apprenticeship which I know to be at least 2 years when I only need it for a year so why are they suggesting this? It is not right for me to take someone else's opportunity away to become a real worker through the apprenticeship scheme. I have found a level 2 vehicle maintenance apprenticeship as well and the money is worse then if I just get a normal retail job and at least that wouldn't involve that much work however I do want to learn about cars so that when I do eventually get on, I'll be prepared to fix problems with it plus it does have a slight engineering feel to it.

I'm just confused as to why they are suggesting this over retail which would pay more and I wouldn't have coursework to do. What are your opinions? I think this is a bit much and I think only a small percentage of people could do this but maybe I am looking at it wrong.
How old?
Are you on benefits?
Which benefit?
You are just self teaching A level?
Future Physics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
21 Job seekers and yes and it is going rather smoothly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%