boyfriend proposes to girlfriend during HER graduation ceremony Watch

This discussion is closed.
angel.xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-ceremony.html

i wish she said no oh wait she probably never even got a chance. pile of ****.
sknudson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Stopped reading at "feminist campaigners said he'd made the day about his own ego". Daily Mail have had some finer headline moments. Oh wait...
Future Physics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't get what the problem is? Why are you being disrespectful and judgmental of someone you don't even know and going by this specific article, she was happy with it.
(Original post by angel.xo)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-ceremony.html

i wish she said no oh wait she probably never even got a chance. pile of ****.
angel.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Future Physics)
I don't get what the problem is? Why are you being disrespectful and judgmental of someone you don't even know and going by this specific article, she was happy with it.
you don't understand what the problem is because your mind is clouded with patriarchal norms.
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The woman was over the moon with the proposal. He did the right thing.
Mabey
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you don't understand what the problem is because your mind is clouded with patriarchal norms.
Instead of accusing them of being clouded with "patriarchal norms" with no explanation, why don't you explain why they are wrong??
vicvic38
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This has conjured many complex feelings in me.

On the one hand, if she's happy with it, no one should be trying to tell her she should feel otherwise. Proposals at Graduations are not uncommon.

On the other hand, I see what they mean when they say he is stealing her thunder. The day is then no longer about her, but about him and their engagement. It also seems like she wasn't expecting it, which is bad for a wedding. It should be a long discussed issue, and you should both essentially have decided you are marrying together, before you do any sort of public proposal. There are a lot of issues to take into account.

On the other other hand the criticism passes from meaningful feminist discourse to disaffected bitterness. 'Public declarations of love smack of egotism and a need for the party making the fuss to be acknowledged and given a round of applause (exactly what happened here). This does not bode well for the relationship.' I mean, come on? Get over yourself. You don't sound enlightened, you sound bitter and with your head up your own ass.
angel.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by vicvic38)
This has conjured many complex feelings in me.

On the one hand, if she's happy with it, no one should be trying to tell her she should feel otherwise. Proposals at Graduations are not uncommon.

On the other hand, I see what they mean when they say he is stealing her thunder. The day is then no longer about her, but about him and their engagement. It also seems like she wasn't expecting it, which is bad for a wedding. It should be a long discussed issue, and you should both essentially have decided you are marrying together, before you do any sort of public proposal. There are a lot of issues to take into account.

On the other other hand the criticism passes from meaningful feminist discourse to disaffected bitterness. 'Public declarations of love smack of egotism and a need for the party making the fuss to be acknowledged and given a round of applause (exactly what happened here). This does not bode well for the relationship.' I mean, come on? Get over yourself. You don't sound enlightened, you sound bitter and with your head up your own ass.
this is what i mean.

shes happy but its the actual principle of the day and how hes basically stole it from her. it was the day she graduates, all her hard work and sacrifice is being reduced to a ****ing proposal. also shes probably swamped in emotion as it is and then he proposes. he probably never thought this through.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Feminists look for a problem in everything a man does. Non story.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't get what makes this "bad". Her graduation - and proposal is traditionally more about the woman than the man. Surely, for a woman, being proposed to on your graduation day wouldn't be such a terrible thing?
angel.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
I don't get what makes this "bad". Her graduation - and proposal is traditionally more about the woman than the man. Surely, for a woman, being proposed to on your graduation day wouldn't be such a terrible thing?
no its not. its about his stupid ego and her thanking him for a ring. the day becomes about his ugly ass ego not her years of sacrifice, hard work and dedication.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
She was delighted with it and doesn't see a problem, end of. Radical feminists yet again trying to dictate how all women should feel in every situation. Maybe they should stick to dying their hair every colour under the sun instead of sticking their noses into a proposal that the woman has said she was pleased by.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
He didn’t make the day about him. The people *****ing about it have.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tootles)
being proposed to on your graduation day wouldn't be such a terrible thing?
She is obviously happy, but nobody should rush into doing this without thought as there are many considerattions to take account of.

First of all, a public proposal automatically puts significant pressure on its recipient to say 'yes' to avoid embarrassment and censure. This ain't good and, in the worst case scenario, is controlling behaviour.

Secondly, there is the aspect that she has only one occcasion to remember rather than two.

Thirdly, is she in a good state to make such a vital decision?

Fourthly, of course, the proposer is barging in to 'her moment'. If they split later she may well consider he spoiled it.

In this case they are happy so criticism seems to have gone too far but I would urge any would-be public proposer to think again and to do it privately. However, the vanity of people, these days, seems insatiable.
Future Physics
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No it isn't. I am open minded and if I was in love with my childhood sweetheart and she proposed to me during my graduation I would be happy because to me, it would be an even more amazing day in my life. Anyway if I like the patriarchal norms, what is it to you? You don't own my body or the way I think and at the end of the day you still get your certificate and you still have the knowledge from the journey and the whole ceremony to some people could be considered materialistic and not all that important.

Though you sound like a troll so I'm just leaving this comment here to explain my reasoning.
satisfactionatlast
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
this is what i mean.

shes happy but its the actual principle of the day and how hes basically stole it from her. it was the day she graduates, all her hard work and sacrifice is being reduced to a ****ing proposal. also shes probably swamped in emotion as it is and then he proposes. he probably never thought this through.
Someone needs to calm down...
angel.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Future Physics)
No it isn't. I am open minded and if I was in love with my childhood sweetheart and she proposed to me during my graduation I would be happy because to me, it would be an even more amazing day in my life. Anyway if I like the patriarchal norms, what is it to you? You don't own my body or the way I think and at the end of the day you still get your certificate and you still have the knowledge from the journey and the whole ceremony to some people could be considered materialistic and not all that important.

Though you sound like a troll so I'm just leaving this comment here to explain my reasoning.
>calls himself open minded
>sees no issue liking patriarchal norms

makes sense yeah i'm a troll now stop quoting me.
angel.xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by satisfactionatlast)
Someone needs to calm down...
is this what you say to girls who have a genuine reason to be angry at you? doesn't work with me luv.
Future Physics
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not going to argue with someone who is trying to be disrespectful to other people as it won't get other of us anywhere though I feel sorry for you, the anger you have at men. I hope you can change your ways because once you do, you'll be so much happier and better off instead of judging random strangers that you have never met before.
>calls himself open minded
>sees no issue liking patriarchal norms

makes sense yeah i'm a troll now stop quoting me.
HumbleBee_x
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thats so cute!! :lovedup:

...but its kinda controlling ngl
Last edited by HumbleBee_x; 4 weeks ago
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (190)
12.74%
Excited (123)
8.25%
Worried (279)
18.71%
Terrified (343)
23%
Meh (124)
8.32%
Confused (35)
2.35%
Putting on a brave face (202)
13.55%
Impatient (195)
13.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise