Avocado1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Baso, been given this book cause it’s one of my gcse books to read over summer to be ready for year 10. Have any of you done it? Everyone else has a Christmas carol and Jane Eyre and I’m the only class which does Jekyll and Hyde. I’m finding it a tad dull at the mo. I’ve started this chapter summary thingy tho so every chapter I read I summarise it. Is that worth it?
caitlind181
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did Jekyll and Hyde for GCSE and it can be a tad challenging/boring if you're not used to the language of the time. I think you're definitely doing the right thing by making summaries. The first few weeks of learning this at school will largely be writing summaries, so you can simply add to and improve yours. I honestly found the book fascinating and I still have it on my bookshelf! I did the same as you and went on to receive an 8 (darn you Romeo and Juliet for costing me my 9!!) so this is a good start to strong study habits for your English and I defo recommend you keep it up!
Avocado1234
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated!
(Original post by caitlind181)
I did Jekyll and Hyde for GCSE and it can be a tad challenging/boring if you're not used to the language of the time. I think you're definitely doing the right thing by making summaries. The first few weeks of learning this at school will largely be writing summaries, so you can simply add to and improve yours. I honestly found the book fascinating and I still have it on my bookshelf! I did the same as you and went on to receive an 8 (darn you Romeo and Juliet for costing me my 9!!) so this is a good start to strong study habits for your English and I defo recommend you keep it up!
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only remembered some summaries for my exams. I didn't look at it at all before year 10 despite the recommendation to read it. I did just fine!
Davy611
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a good book: short and accessible. The last chapter is the hardest. Your decision to summarise each chapter is very sensible.

The writing is very rich and full of literary devices. Pathetic fallacy is everywhere: I tell my students that the weather is almost a character in its own right. What the text is missing is any real female representation but this is something you can consider for social and historical context.

You'll be an expert in eighteen months time and you've started very wisely.
Avocado1234
Rep:
?
Thank you! It took me much longer to finish the last chapter but after chapter 6 I thought it was a good read. I think I might do setting summaries and character summaries as well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (48)
14.37%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.77%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.23%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.88%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.39%

Watched Threads