Johnson: 'We need an election without delay' Watch

Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It's the arrogance. It's the contempt. That's what gets me. It's Boris Johnson’s apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. It's at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.

Everybody seems to have forgotten that the last general election was only two years ago, in 2017. A woman called Theresa May presented herself for election, and her face was to be seen - even if less prominently than in the past - on manifestos, leaflets, television screens and billboards. We rather gathered from the Conservative prospectus that said May was going to be Prime Minister. Indeed, Theresa sought a new mandate from the British electorate with the explicit promise that she would serve.

The British public sucked its teeth, squinted at her closely, sighed and, with extreme reluctance, decided to elect her as Prime Minister. Let me repeat that. They voted for Theresa May to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Boris Johnson should be PM.

I must have knocked on hundreds of doors during that campaign, and heard all sorts of opinions of Mrs May, not all of them favourable. But I do not recall a single member of the public saying that he or she was yearning for Boris Johnson to take over. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't remember any Conservative spokesman revealing that they planned to do a big switcheroo.

In 2017, there was a large number who voted Conservative on the strength of a dwindling but still significant respect for the Prime Minister. They voted for Theresa, and yet they now get Boris, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal.

Why are we all conniving in this stitch-up? This is nothing less than a palace coup, effected by the Johnsonites, and it is possible only because May had run out of road. She knew that the Johnsonites would eventually assassinate her, and so he decided to go "at a time of her own choosing" and, with North Korean servility, the Conservative Party has handed power over to a brooding dishonest, serial adulterer, power-maniac.

The extraordinary thing is that it looks as though he will now be in 10 Downing Street for three years, and without a mandate from the British people. The electorate did not elected Boris Johnson as Prime Minister.

We cannot allow this Prime Minister to be foisted on us. We know that there is not a cat's chance in hell of a new referendum on Brexit. Boris Johnson could appease public indignation over that, and secure the democratic mandate he needs, by asking the public to vote at once on him, and on the new EU withdrawal agreement. Let's have an election without delay.

To be clear. These are not my words. These were the words of Boris Johnson in 2007 when he attacked Gordon Brown's appointment as PM. I've simply updated them for 2019.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...tish-ally.html

Is Johnson a man of principle and therefore will call an election without delay? Or is he happy to accept the role of Prime Minister, despite not viewing it as democratically proper and acknowledging that he does not have a mandate from the British electorate?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
Is Johnson a man of principle and therefore will call an election without delay? Or is he happy to accept the role of Prime Minister, despite not viewing it as democratically proper and acknowledging that he does not have a mandate from the British electorate?
Take a wild f***ing guess

I suppose the response would be that the result of the Brexit referendum would give him the mandate to deliver it (being the contender most committed to it), but
a) there are issues besides Brexit that exist, easy though it may have been to forget over the past 3 years
b) disregarding formal democracy because you think you have "the will of the people" behind you doesn't set a good precedent. It reminds me of Lenin.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Click bait.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe)
It's the arrogance. It's the contempt. That's what gets me. It's Boris Johnson’s apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. It's at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.

Everybody seems to have forgotten that the last general election was only two years ago, in 2017. A woman called Theresa May presented herself for election, and her face was to be seen - even if less prominently than in the past - on manifestos, leaflets, television screens and billboards. We rather gathered from the Conservative prospectus that said May was going to be Prime Minister. Indeed, Theresa sought a new mandate from the British electorate with the explicit promise that she would serve.

The British public sucked its teeth, squinted at her closely, sighed and, with extreme reluctance, decided to elect her as Prime Minister. Let me repeat that. They voted for Theresa May to serve as their leader. They were at no stage invited to vote on whether Boris Johnson should be PM.

I must have knocked on hundreds of doors during that campaign, and heard all sorts of opinions of Mrs May, not all of them favourable. But I do not recall a single member of the public saying that he or she was yearning for Boris Johnson to take over. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't remember any Conservative spokesman revealing that they planned to do a big switcheroo.

In 2017, there was a large number who voted Conservative on the strength of a dwindling but still significant respect for the Prime Minister. They voted for Theresa, and yet they now get Boris, and a transition about as democratically proper as the transition from Claudius to Nero. It is a scandal.

Why are we all conniving in this stitch-up? This is nothing less than a palace coup, effected by the Johnsonites, and it is possible only because May had run out of road. She knew that the Johnsonites would eventually assassinate her, and so he decided to go "at a time of her own choosing" and, with North Korean servility, the Conservative Party has handed power over to a brooding dishonest, serial adulterer, power-maniac.

The extraordinary thing is that it looks as though he will now be in 10 Downing Street for three years, and without a mandate from the British people. The electorate did not elected Boris Johnson as Prime Minister.

We cannot allow this Prime Minister to be foisted on us. We know that there is not a cat's chance in hell of a new referendum on Brexit. Boris Johnson could appease public indignation over that, and secure the democratic mandate he needs, by asking the public to vote at once on him, and on the new EU withdrawal agreement. Let's have an election without delay.

To be clear. These are not my words. These were the words of Boris Johnson in 2007 when he attacked Gordon Brown's appointment as PM. I've simply updated them for 2019.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...tish-ally.html

were you equally distressed when Gordon "Goldfinger" Brown was foisted on us ? Vote Tony get Gordon :cry:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.78%
Terrified (382)
22.2%
Meh (172)
9.99%
Confused (37)
2.15%