Lpalmieri1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thread to discuss CR and SBM exam July 2019.
therealbuzzkill
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I sat SBM twice in 2018 and today was my third attempt. I thought it was the worst paper I sat so far. Not looking forward to sitting it again in November
Lpalmieri1
Rep:
?
This was my first sitting I was shocked 😂
(Original post by therealbuzzkill)
I sat SBM twice in 2018 and today was my third attempt. I thought it was the worst paper I sat so far. Not looking forward to sitting it again in November
therealbuzzkill
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was not a typical exam for sure. There was nothing in the question bank or course notes that could have helped with the first question. The second question was ok but not great either.
(Original post by Lpalmieri1)
This was my first sitting I was shocked 😂
harry199107
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Found SBM very strange. I'm glad I didn't practice loads of past paper questions as they would have been of no use in such a paper.

CR was also very hard, however I found it better than the disaster of SBM!

Never know though, if most found it hard the marking might be more generous?

Case tomorrow, gotta forget all about the last 2 days now :/
CBAACA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I found CR very tough and strange, couldn't figure out what to do with question 3 on revenue recognition... I thought it was a bit unclear what they wanted, the question was too vague. SBM was very strange especially the first one and also there was way more hedging than I expected, both interest rate and forex in one!
Bevs936
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m so relieved others feel the same!!

CR I was honestly expecting to be worse as I attempted the November 2018 exam the night before and thought that was horrific (well done to anyone who passed that one!)) whereas this one I feel had SO much more content and requirements than I’ve seen in other questions so that gives more opportunity to get marks.

SBM was just awful. I’ve never seen anything like question 1 before and barely used my notes at all I just answered it based on the first things that came to mind which is not good 😔

Also sat case today and messed up the timing. Roll on August 30th 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻
Lpalmieri1
Rep:
?
I think the style is so different because they’re trying to adjust for timing differences from doing it in CBE rather than pen and paper. Really hope they make a concession if too many fail.
(Original post by Bevs936)
I’m so relieved others feel the same!!

CR I was honestly expecting to be worse as I attempted the November 2018 exam the night before and thought that was horrific (well done to anyone who passed that one!)) whereas this one I feel had SO much more content and requirements than I’ve seen in other questions so that gives more opportunity to get marks.

SBM was just awful. I’ve never seen anything like question 1 before and barely used my notes at all I just answered it based on the first things that came to mind which is not good 😔

Also sat case today and messed up the timing. Roll on August 30th 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻
oakroys
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your firm's allowing you to attempt the exam four times?
therealbuzzkill
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, only two times under the training contract. I am paying for my own courses and exams now
(Original post by oakroys)
Your firm's allowing you to attempt the exam four times?
Bilal007wee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did everyone find case study?
Bilal007wee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What was req3 about?! Hopefully it's all own figure marks!
CBAACA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not great, I couldn’t figure out what was happening with requirements 3 , maybe I was losing my head a bit and also didn’t read the question carefully for requirement 2 so I didn’t evaluate the specifications, I would be very surprised if I pass this.
Bilal007wee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There was no "proceed or not" with req3. Not sure what they wanted us to do with that talk about management asset scheme jazz.

I think req1 and 2 were OK.

Ethics was tricky to spot

(Original post by CBAACA)
Not great, I couldn’t figure out what was happening with requirements 3 , maybe I was losing my head a bit and also didn’t read the question carefully for requirement 2 so I didn’t evaluate the specifications, I would be very surprised if I pass this.
Bevs936
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hope so. I’d be incredibly surprised if I passed all three. Did you sit all of them?
(Original post by Lpalmieri1)
I think the style is so different because they’re trying to adjust for timing differences from doing it in CBE rather than pen and paper. Really hope they make a concession if too many fail.
oakroys
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, only two times under the training contract. I am paying for my own courses and exams now
I have the same terms in my contract, but it's heavily implied that they'll show me the door if I fail more than twice. Is this generally the case?
Lpalmieri1
Rep:
?
Just SBM and CR for now
(Original post by Bevs936)
I hope so. I’d be incredibly surprised if I passed all three. Did you sit all of them?
therealbuzzkill
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We are always reminded that the firm "reserves the right" to terminate our employment if we fail twice. But from what I have seen they are more inclined to offer people new employment in other parts of the business or take people off of the training contract and allow them to pay for themselves.

I guess it would also probably cost the firm more money to recruit someone from scratch than allow someone to continue away from the training contract.
(Original post by oakroys)
I have the same terms in my contract, but it's heavily implied that they'll show me the door if I fail more than twice. Is this generally the case?
darkiee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There should be a bullet on the marking key that says conclude on way forward! Always. So knowing that I mentioned that they should proceed with the advisory work but not the other advice for cost saving.

I thought it was a bit tricky Req 3 as there were a lot going on there (Either lose time reading to understand and not being able to type what you understood or Skim Read and answer the question wrongly). But usually the calcs do not get the marks, as long as you calculated some revenue and cost and carry that number ahead in your financials then it should be fine.

In respect to the the evaluation of specification, thought it was just the age 3-16/ Limited mobility - I'm a bit scared I missed some, there wasnt much to talk about? Can you confirm? CBAACA

The thing in case is you think you made a sick point but if its not on the marking key, you are a bit screwed LOOL hence why I am so worried. I didnt finish either but just copied and pasted my conclusion in req3 to my ES3.

In terms of CR and SBM don't get me started. I thought CR was **** till I did SBM and thought SBM was **** till I did Case study. Just have to wait till 30th August, I really do not want to resit Case Study though LOOOL.
(Original post by Bilal007wee)
There was no "proceed or not" with req3. Not sure what they wanted us to do with that talk about management asset scheme jazz.

I think req1 and 2 were OK.

Ethics was tricky to spot
(Original post by CBAACA)
CBAACA
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn’t read the question for requirement 2 properly so I didn’t really evaluate the specs, I noticed my mistake with 5 mins to go for R2 so I kinda forced the specs into my factors to consider when setting a price.. but yeah I thought age and limited mobility are the main points
(Original post by darkiee)
There should be a bullet on the marking key that says conclude on way forward! Always. So knowing that I mentioned that they should proceed with the advisory work but not the other advice for cost saving.

I thought it was a bit tricky Req 3 as there were a lot going on there (Either lose time reading to understand and not being able to type what you understood or Skim Read and answer the question wrongly). But usually the calcs do not get the marks, as long as you calculated some revenue and cost and carry that number ahead in your financials then it should be fine.

In respect to the the evaluation of specification, thought it was just the age 3-16/ Limited mobility - I'm a bit scared I missed some, there wasnt much to talk about? Can you confirm? CBAACA

The thing in case is you think you made a sick point but if its not on the marking key, you are a bit screwed LOOL hence why I am so worried. I didnt finish either but just copied and pasted my conclusion in req3 to my ES3.

In terms of CR and SBM don't get me started. I thought CR was **** till I did SBM and thought SBM was **** till I did Case study. Just have to wait till 30th August, I really do not want to resit Case Study though LOOOL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (162)
24.77%
Pop (161)
24.62%
Jazz (26)
3.98%
Classical (38)
5.81%
Hip-Hop (117)
17.89%