Manchester Metropolitan or Leeds Arts University Watch

_gigi_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

I am looking to start my MA course in Graphic Design this year starting in September and I am having last minute concerns whether I choose the right University. I am basically confirmed in Leeds Arts but thinking about changing my choice to Manchester Met. I currently live in Manchester and the city is what is making me re-consider my decision. While I heard some bad feedback about MMU and personally enjoyed the open days more in Leeds Arts, I am considering if my prejudgement that is making me choose Leeds might be wrong. I know that it is ultimately my choice but wanted to see any thoughts from others with similar issue on deciding.

Any advice from current students or past students who had to choose between the two, what determined your final choice? What is your experience with the selected university? Any other advice would be really helpful as I need to choose between the two asap.

I appreciate any feedback.
maeneedhelp
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I say think about why you particularly want to stay in Manchester. Is it your social circle? Your family? Or just a bustling city? Probably think about why you want to stay/don't want to leave first. I've heard Leeds is very good for Graphic Design in comparison to Manchester but University in general depends on what you really want to get out of it (employability/social/learning/location). P.S. Also consider the fact that you will be making connections in the area you choose, so I would pick wisely if you want to get a decent job in the creative industry. Hopefully that helps!
_gigi_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am considering everything. The reasons are that Manchester just offers more creative opportunities than Leeds as far as I am aware, and it is a bustling city. The main thing I want to get out of the university is employability and connections. From the information I gathered I get the impression that Leeds Arts is a better institution itself however, it is not all about what you get out of the University but about what career prospects you can get after you graduate - which is the main thing for me. I do not see myself staying in Leeds after graduation if I did go there, and that is the reason I am leaning towards Manchester Met now.

Making connections in the chosen area is a strong indicator to stay in Manchester... However, the Leeds Arts university itself left a better impression... so it is a tough choice. Thank you for your post.
(Original post by maeneedhelp)
Hey, I say think about why you particularly want to stay in Manchester. Is it your social circle? Your family? Or just a bustling city? Probably think about why you want to stay/don't want to leave first. I've heard Leeds is very good for Graphic Design in comparison to Manchester but University in general depends on what you really want to get out of it (employability/social/learning/location). P.S. Also consider the fact that you will be making connections in the area you choose, so I would pick wisely if you want to get a decent job in the creative industry. Hopefully that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.76%
Impatient (218)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise