Unpopular Opinion: Changes to English GCSE exaggerated? Watch

ccrilly624
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I just read a student room article on how the amount of students taking English and English Literature from GCSE to A-Level has dropped by 25%.
It’s said to be due to students saying they loved English in lower school classes and when GCSE English was about analyzing the text and not writing creatively they got scared, said the workload was too much and it was too much reading and not enough creativity.
I don’t see how this can be because I started secondary school in 2010, back then English maybe had one creative writing section over three years? Then maybe a fifth of my GCSE was creative writing but it also wasn’t? They gave you a topic and you still had to include everything you would in a normal analytical essay.
I got an A* in both English and English Literature at GCSE, and an A at A-Level, graduated after repeating a year in 2018.
What’s everybody else’s opinion? Any other English nerds out there that thought English at different exam levels really wasn’t that bad? And not bad enough to constitute a 25% drop in students?
Or perhaps not...maybe it is harder now?
Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I took my GCSE exams last year. I got two 9s in the English subjects.

There's nothing wrong with these exams if you truly love the subject. If you're just in it for an easy ride, then I'd agree that the reforms are slightly off-putting.

There's also a ****-ton of creativity in the new specs, yo.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 3 weeks ago
ccrilly624
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
was thinking that! very true.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Davy611
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did GCSEs and A Levels in English and English Literature from 93-98. I've been teaching English and English Literature to GCSE level since 2001. In my opinion, the analytical elements of both subjects have become far more structured and rigorous since the move back to terminal examination. I find the entire qualification more credible. When the coursework played a bigger role, there was a strong whiff of corruption about the whole thing. People were driven by results (fine) and people cheated (not fine).

There's always been plenty of scope for creativity and I'd argue that there's more original writing in play now than ten years ago.

We're producing more capable young people now and their results reflect their ability and efforts more accurately than in the past. That's my view.
ccrilly624
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It’s now more credible and has more creativity, exactly what I was thinking!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%