The Year 12s into 13s Summer Study Support Group 2019 Watch

inspiringcolours
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
1. What subjects do you take?
History, English Literature & Class Civ

2. How did your mock exams go? Are you happy with your results? If not, why?
We did external AS exams so I'll let you know in two weeks ahaha.

3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
ENGLISH LITERATURE. Wasn't expecting it to be such a rollercoaster.

4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep?
First two weeks were sleep 100%, I've nearly finished a two weeks summer school and the next month is a lot of work, reading and essays!! (Including my EPQ! ARGH)

5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with?
Erm...I'm excited for some parts e.g. Classics generally, choir, running my school Newspaper and my other subjects (but not the NEA aspects of them ew), but also dreading NEA and the university admissions process, alongside the general jump from AS to A Level and the stress!
risinggibberish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hi everyone!!
1. What subjects do you take? Maths, Further Maths, History, French (going to die next year)
Kind of annoyed because even though my school marked all our tests, didn't give us half of our results back, but A in French and A* in History so far, so I'm happy!
3. What surprised you the most about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations? I was surprised at how much I hate a levels. I was looking forward to independent learning but I didn't enjoy my subject specs this year as much as I thought I would!
4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep?
In an ideal world: Sleep, binge watch Netflix, sleep and sleep In the real world: EPQ, admissions test prep, personal statement.... *inserts never ending list*
5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with? Just want it over with to be fair! Hoping to enjoy my last year but can't waittt for university!! So much to look forward to
MidnightSymphony
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Heyooooo

Chemistry, physics and maths. Also did music AS but dropping for year 13 as it's dull as hell and I barely revised for it if at all.

2. How did mock exams go?

As I'm Welsh I did proper AS exams still. How did they go? I don't particularly wanna say. I think physics and maths were okay. Music was meh. Chemistry was a complete trainwreck and if I haven't failed unit 1 a miracle will have occurred.

3. What surprised you the most about A-Levels?

I don't know tbh. Possibly the constant feeling of never being done and always feeling like you're behind where you ought to be. I expected teaching to actually be at a faster pace than it was, so I suppose that's a pleasant surprise. But I did worry we wouldn't finish courses before exams.

4. What are you going to do this summer?

Read books on chemistry, volunteer at the Oxfam shop bc I still haven't got a job, practice for my driving theory test, start driving lessons (tomorrow aaaa I'm scared), begin A2 courses, and hopefully find time to have a life around all that...

5. How are you feeling about next year?

Ok. I mean, I could feel better about it, but I don't feel terrible. It's there, must be done. It's the bit that comes after next year I'm scared about.
JzANonM
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
📍1. I take Chemistry, Sociology and Psychology
📍2. My mock exams went ok actually, but what annoyed me is that I was a few marks away from an A in each.
📍3. A levels definitely met my expectations in the sense that I knew it was going to be tough. But I’ve managed to pull through, with 3 Bs in my mocks!! [MOST PROTIP: read about the new lesson before you go to it, it gets you at a slight advantage, plus you are basically reinforcing your knowledge about the topic, when you go to the lesson.]
📍4. This summer I’m going to try to do as much work as I can, to make sure I don’t fall behind in year 13. Plus this will mean I’ll be ahead in terms of revision. Once I’ve gone through all the topics, I’ll pre-read the year 13 lessons. To try and get my head round them, but then I might give myself a long break.
📍5. For next year IM on the fence. I’m BRICKING IT cuz I know this will be my final year and “it all comes down to this”. But then I have a huge motivation to do well, cuz I want to get 3A*s, next year or at least AAB (let the B be in Psychology lmaooo)
📍Just a little more📍- I want to do Chemistry at Uni which may seem unexpected since I only do Chemistry and not another science or maths. It was around halfway through year 12 in which I realised that Chemistry was the one yk.
A question to you readin: How’s your personal statement coming along m8?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AspiringMed.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
@ My subjects are Biology, Chemistry and Physics
@ Got three A’s in my mocks shocked at Physics because it was terribly difficult.
@I am not really surprised but the work load can be terrible almost developed a back and shoulder problem at the end of my first year. When I was revising for my mocks I used a whole brand new jotter in a span of 3 weeks 😐
@Volunteering at an Old Folks Home, doing a project, revising for my aptitude tests, creating and organising AS revision material, Getting ready for A2
@worried as I’m applying for a really competitive course but I’m going to take the challenge head on.
AspiringMed.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Highest attainable grade is A
Jotter was really big
PureHeroine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i'm at this awkward stage where i want to start buying books and cracking on with work but at the same time i really don't want to waste my time in case results day doesn't go as planned.

i landed today from my flight so tomorrow onward i will start to research around my coursework and do some studying because i'm in the mood to do some stuff. i wish results day was this thursday to get it over with so i can concentrate on work but yeah i'm a bit unsure atm
hoixw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maths, further maths, physics, economics

Yeah very happy. I got AAAA* which is the maximum I could have got, as I did 3 AS exams and one A-level one.

3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
There were huge jumps in some subjects (looking at you, physics) and some subjects that still felt like GCSEs (economics and maths mainly).

Gonna do some reading, write my Realising Opportunities essay and my PS ideally. I'm a Sutton Trust US Programme student so I gotta decide whether I want to commit myself to studying 5000 miles away within a week or so (and writing tons of application essays lol). And gotta prepare for the MAT (Planning on applying to Oxford).

5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with?

EXCITED!!!!!! Can't wait to do some more mad stuff - as in stuff outside of school. Definitely not excited to file my UCAS application or anything haha
xxxooo
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
1. English lit, history, politics

2. Mocks went well, got A*AA. Happy but they were internal ones so idk if the marking etc would be that lenient irl next year (especially in lit!)

3. I was surprised about the jump from GCSE! And the amount of essays 3 essay subjects meant...:/

4. I have SO MUCH to do this summer ahhhh....history coursework, lit coursework, revise everything, start uni application

5. Kinda bricking it for next year as that's what counts and ik I'm gonna be stressed ALL year but next summer will be fab
Miongo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Toastiekid)
:woo: Welcome to 2019's Year 12s into 13s Summer Study Support Group :woo:

Year 12 is over:party: but is all the work over too? For most people, yes, it's time to party and binge netflix. If you're here though you're probably planning on using the summer to get ready for next year, whether that may be by tidying up notes, learning next year's course, doing coursework, you name it. (Please don't work 24/7 though, summer is still a time for a deserved break:hugs:, look after yourselves:heart:)

This thread is for any Year 12's moving into Year 13 who want a space to destress, rant, swap share study techniques, document their study goals/progress, discuss ideas and find like-minded people who may be taking the same courses as them!

Feel free to come and go as you please, whether you want to regularly chat on here or just lurk around to steal a few study ideas, all are welcome!

Here are a few questions to introduce yourself and get the conversation started:

Here are some subject specific tips from last year's summer study support group (big thanks to CinnamonSmol):
Spoiler:
Show

General advice

"Been there done that, biggest takeaway is START PREP from the beginning. Be on it every lesson and make sure you at least understand it all. Don't ever get behind on the understanding and knowledge of topics. Then slowly begin to make notes at around December time and get a routine." @rhaegar457

Maths

"I’d say this is most similar to GCSE. Just practise practise practise. A lot of people struggle with mechanics but the more quiestions you do the more you’ll get the hang of it. Loads find stats boring as well but don’t let that put you off revising it (as it did me lol OOPS) questions are quite similar so again the more familiar you are with it the better you’ll do. You just need to know how you’d go about manipulating different data dependent on what form it’s given to you in." @leverarch

"I self-taught Further Maths and found the best way that I learnt it was to go through the CGP revision guide once watching exam solutions' videos or reading and making notes from textbooks. I then go through question sheets provided by my school for revision (I think the exam board supplied them)." @F055il215

Computer Science

"For Computer Science, I also make mindmaps, like with Chemistry. However, I get the information from a wikibook, my textbook and a YouTube channel called "Craig'n'Dave"." @F055il215

Physics
"I only do practice questions. When there's one I can't figure out, that's when I check the textbook or my notes. And when I finish each exercise I mark my work, making sure I understand the answer exactly before moving on. I don't think I've ever tried to memorise notes and quotes from the textbook, nor do I ever use flashcards." @Sinnoh

History
"use the textbooks approved by the exam board you're using to make more detailed notes, and always make sure you have enough supporting evidence for your points - if there isn't enough evidence to support it then don't use it as a point. Also, read the mark scheme and find out what you're being marked on, so you know what to focus on and do plenty of practice papers! Also, there's a book coming out soon by hodder education called 'aiming for an A in A level history' which looks super helpful!" @laurenai

"make sure you know you’re content inside out because all you have to do is work on your exam technique. In regards to essay questions in history, introductions are in my opinion the most important part as it is what the examiner judges straight away. Maybe get a few sample questions and just write introductions to them so you’re argument is clear, and then ask your teacher to mark them." @EmilyFaye2112

Language
"For Mandarin, making flashcard sets was most of what I did since it’s not really possible to prepare for opinion essays. For the history and media part though, it’s important to review the best structure or you lose a lot of marks for poor organisation and structure of argument." @SkyRunner61

Feel free to share your own advice, useful threads and website:thumbsup:
Chemistry, English Literature, French

Pretty well, I'm pleased A*AA French, English lit, Chem secretly hoped for an A* in Literature though (yes I'm one of those people 🙈) but yeah generally happy

I didn't really go in having many expectations other than knowing it would be ridiculously difficult and I couldn't have been more right. The independence is extreme, teachers really don't get involved in supporting you other than basic teaching, big jump from almost being spoonfed at GCSEs to you're on your own goodluck at A level. The workload was also extreme, always always had something to do, never had a free minute to myself, staying up until 3 am even when I had class at 8 the next morning, running every morning barely making the bus due to enough sleep aka I was just a hot mess and the work was simply way too much!

Well the plan was do some wider reading on about a gazillion books, sort out uni stuff and actually pick a course! Literature coursework, as well as tie up loose ends from last year, revisit all the content and make sure I understand it but well most of that hasn't quite happened yet, (reason being about 50 personal problems hitting me at the same time last month but we surviving) hence why I'm on tsr at 6 am 😖 finally realising just how much I have to do in the remaining weeks, stressing immensely and praying I have nothing but extreme motivation and determination to do all I'd planned.

Already want it finished and it's not even started! Last year was hard, so so hard in terms of workload and stress and so with exams next year I'm super scared I might not manage so yeah safe to say I am absolutely bricking it!

Hope everyone is okay and achieving what they wanna be achieving and definitely not having a 6 am breakdown!! x
ephemeral02
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
anyone else feeling stressed that they won’t get everything done by september? :bawling:
JzANonM
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ephemeral02)
anyone else feeling stressed that they won’t get everything done by september? :bawling:
YUP
mdowdall
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by ephemeral02)
hi, that's me
livelyrao
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
What subjects do you take?
French, Geography, and Chemistry A Level

How did your mock exams go?
I got AAB in French, Geography, Chemistry. (My school doesn’t give A* in year 12). I’m fairly pleased with them as the chemistry paper we did had some questions on topics we hadn’t been taught, so yeah they went well.

What surprised you most about a levels? Did it meet your expectations?
I’d say the amount of independence. I mean I expected it, but not as much. I do more private study and my own work than actual homework by a large margin. If you don’t do homework teachers don’t really care as it’s not their problem. The amount of free periods I like as I can do my own study and homework to a high standard. Also I thought that I’d be able to make friends with new people and “start afresh” but that didn’t really happen. I’ve never drink alcohol, never been to a party, never had a relationship,and don’t have any proper friends, I’m quite a lone wolf.

What are you going to do this summer?
Luckily there’s a bus that goes from right outside my house to the Royal Albert Hall, which is right next to the Royal Geographical Society . So I’m a student member and I plan to attend a lot of evening lectures there, I’ve been to two already. Other than that I made a big mind map about everything I should do this summer - I’m slowly working through that. Cambridge Admissions Assessment prep, personal statement, finish mindmaps of Y12 content, do summer homework, doing my geography coursework etc. As well as playing my favourite computer game and enjoying resting a lot.

How are you feeling about next year?
I’m looking forward to having more order in my life again, getting into a routine. I’m happy with my subjects and a level choices, I hope I have more frees. I’m quite nervous about applying to Cambridge University, but if I don’t get in it will be an experience to remember. I’m quite sad to be honest that I only have two proper terms left, it will be weird not seeing anyone I’ve been with for the last seven years anymore.

Thanks for tagging me in this thread
Hey! Sorry to disturb you, I just wanted to ask some questions as I'm going into year 12 this September and I'm taking Geography, Eng Lit and maybe Chemistry/Bio. How do I join the RGS lectures? I'm hella nervous about the practicals in Chemistry bc I hardly know what to do in any practicals aha. Also, would you recommend doing French with Geography (I would like to do Geography at uni), I love French but idk if I should do it rather than Chem/Bio as Geography has some same aspects Chem/Bio. Thank you for your help. (:
JzANonM
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by livelyrao)
Hey! Sorry to disturb you, I just wanted to ask some questions as I'm going into year 12 this September and I'm taking Geography, Eng Lit and maybe Chemistry/Bio. How do I join the RGS lectures? I'm hella nervous about the practicals in Chemistry bc I hardly know what to do in any practicals aha. Also, would you recommend doing French with Geography (I would like to do Geography at uni), I love French but idk if I should do it rather than Chem/Bio as Geography has some same aspects Chem/Bio. Thank you for your help. (:
For chemistry: at the start of each practical you should be given a demonstration of the practical by your teacher and you should be given practical instructions so its no problem
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by JzANonM)
For chemistry: at the start of each practical you should be given a demonstration of the practical by your teacher and you should be given practical instructions so its no problem
Ohh, thank you so much! I had no clue how it works and so do we have to pass the practical in one go or do we get multiple chances?
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hey there! 💜

I’m a student member of the royal geographical society as a “young geographer”. I got my membership for my my birthday, it’s £46 per year or £75 for two years I think. Using this membership you’re free to attend any Monday night lecture you like, or watch recordings of them online. (What I do mostly) using your log on. You also have access to the digital monthly Geographical magazine among other things. Some of their lectures and events are free, others you pay a small fee for, some your school book you on. Have a look on their “what’s on” page and you can have a look for yourself.

With chemistry practicals, I always watch a you tube video of them being done first. Often just searching it on you tube yields you a video, but I’d recommend Primrose Kitten who has some good practical videos, and helpful (but limited) a level chemistry videos. Also read the instructions or practical beforehand so you have a basic idea of what to do.

In terms of a level choice, pick what you enjoy. (That’s what I did). I’ve found that geography has given me a lot of ideas to talk about in french essays and speaking cards from immigration and culture, to the Ebola epidemic in Guinea etcetera. With biology or chemistry, I think biology goes better with geography as some content is similar, but again pick the science that you prefer. Doing a science is great to access the physical geography courses as well, and English literature is a great option.

Have a think throughout year 12 whether you like human or physical geography more, or both! (Like me ahaha). Look out for more geography events too, Cambridge University do a geography master class day, often in November, so keep a look out for that and more. If you go to a state school or are from a post code of lower socio-economic status then you can apply to a whole load of summer schools, summer days, taster days etc at many universities. Applications open early for those next year and are competitive, something to keep and eye on as well.

Good luck for results day and for year 12. Please do ask me if you have any more questions!
Last edited by Deggs_14; 3 days ago
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hey there! 💜

I’m a student member of the royal geographical society as a “young geographer”. I got my membership for my my birthday, it’s £46 per year or £75 for two years I think. Using this membership you’re free to attend any Monday night lecture you like, or watch recordings of them online. (What I do mostly) using your log on. You also have access to the digital monthly Geographical magazine among other things. Some of their lectures and events are free, others you pay a small fee for, some your school book you on. Have a look on their “what’s on” page and you can have a look for yourself.

With chemistry practicals, I always watch a you tube video of them being done first. Often just searching it on you tube yields you a video, but I’d recommend Primrose Kitten who has some good practical videos, and helpful (but limited) a level chemistry videos. Also read the instructions or practical beforehand so you have a basic idea of what to do.

In terms of a level choice, pick what you enjoy. (That’s what I did). I’ve found that geography has given me a lot of ideas to talk about in french essays and speaking cards from immigration and culture, to the Ebola epidemic in Guinea etcetera. With biology or chemistry, I think biology goes better with geography as some content is similar, but again pick the science that you prefer. Doing a science is great to access the physical geography courses as well, and English literature is a great option.

Have a think throughout year 12 whether you like human or physical geography more, or both! (Like me ahaha). Look out for more geography events too, Cambridge University do a geography master class day, often in November, so keep a look out for that and more. If you go to a state school or are from a post code of lower socio-economic status then you can apply to a whole load of summer schools, summer days, taster days etc at many universities. Applications open early for those next year and are competitive, something to keep and eye on as well.

Good luck for results day and for year 12. Please do ask me if you have any more questions!
Hey! Thank you so much for the reply!

I will defo check out RGS and get a membership.

I also love French but I can't do it as it clashes with my timetable of Eng Lit and Geog :/ So I'm likely to do Bio or Chem. But, currently I'm also enjoying both human and physical geography ahaha and I love that some universities like Cambridge offer us a course with both human and physical! Have you been to a summer school or a master class?

And thank you so much for your wishes! Good luck for year 13! Also, thank you so much for the advices, I hardly know anyone to ask for help about Geography!!
Last edited by livelyrao; 3 days ago
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hey! Thank you so much for the reply!

I will defo check out RGS and get a membership.

I also love French but I can't do it as it clashes with my timetable of Eng Lit and Geog :/ So I'm likely to do Bio or Chem. But, currently I'm also enjoying both human and physical geography ahaha and I love that some universities like Cambridge offer us a course with both human and physical! Have you been to a summer school or a master class?

And thank you so much for your wishes! Good luck for year 13! Also, thank you so much for the advices, I hardly know anyone to ask for help about Geography!!
In that case I’d recommend doing biology. I haven’t attended a summer school this summer unfortunately, I would have liked to but I attend a selective private school (not trying to show off or boast) so I wouldn’t have been accepted as it’s meant for those with less opportunity). However I’ve been to many masterclasses, two at Cambridge and I’ll definitely look into the ones again for the next academic year. Funnily enough I really loved the Earth Sciences lecture about Volcanology and volcano chemistry by Dr Marie Edmonds by favourite, though it’s not strictly geography 😂
livelyrao
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
In that case I’d recommend doing biology. I haven’t attended a summer school this summer unfortunately, I would have liked to but I attend a selective private school (not trying to show off or boast) so I wouldn’t have been accepted as it’s meant for those with less opportunity). However I’ve been to many masterclasses, two at Cambridge and I’ll definitely look into the ones again for the next academic year. Funnily enough I really loved the Earth Sciences lecture about Volcanology and volcano chemistry by Dr Marie Edmonds by favourite, though it’s not strictly geography 😂
I think I will do Biology (:

I’m glad that you had a chance to do those master classes and that you found them interesting! It’s also good that you could link your Chemistry knowledge with Geography. I hope you get into Cambridge!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (69)
17.56%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (247)
62.85%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
5.09%
Not yet but I might (57)
14.5%

Watched Threads