The Year 12s into 13s Summer Study Support Group 2019 Watch

Deggs_14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by livelyrao)
I think I will do Biology (:

I’m glad that you had a chance to do those master classes and that you found them interesting! It’s also good that you could link your Chemistry knowledge with Geography. I hope you get into Cambridge!
Ah thank you, I doubt I will but who knows? I think it’s worth a shot. 🤩
livelyrao
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Ah thank you, I doubt I will but who knows? I think it’s worth a shot. 🤩
I think you have high chances of getting in because you have done a lot around Geography and you defo show passion for it! Like you said it's worth a shot
Have you done work experience for Geography?
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by livelyrao)
I think you have high chances of getting in because you have done a lot around Geography and you defo show passion for it! Like you said it's worth a shot
Have you done work experience for Geography?
No I’ve done work experience, but it wasn’t strictly related to geography. In my school we had to do a week of work experience, but there’s literally nothing geography related I could find, I had been stressing about it for months it was probably the biggest source of anxiety for me in year 12. I searched on websites for ages but found nothing related, or only summer internships for uni students. I’m happy with the work experience I’ve done as well as spending a day at a mouse research facility (more biology though) which I’ve mentioned briefly on my PS?
livelyrao
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No I’ve done work experience, but it wasn’t strictly related to geography. In my school we had to do a week of work experience, but there’s literally nothing geography related I could find, I had been stressing about it for months it was probably the biggest source of anxiety for me in year 12. I searched on websites for ages but found nothing related, or only summer internships for uni students. I’m happy with the work experience I’ve done as well as spending a day at a mouse research facility (more biology though) which I’ve mentioned briefly on my PS?
Ohh okay, that's really good as long as you've done something! Also, I've talked to a graduate who is doing Geography and they said doing any work experience or helping at Charity is still good
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

1. What subjects do you take?
Biology, Politics and Sociology
2. How did your mock exams go? Are you happy with your results? If not, why?
Went okay(ish) I came home crying after one of my bio papers! I achieved A*AC, was happy with it but I scraped a C in bio, I needed a B. Its sad because biology is the subject I need for uni!
3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
Wasn't hugely surprising, I'd say my routine defo changed! I had a lot more time on my hands to get work done, so I'd be exhausted! I'd come home at like half one mostly everyday!
Towards the end of the year I realised how hard Biology was
4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep?
Read ahead for all my subjects and make sure I'm solid on all my year 12 content, focus on my biology for sure! Also type up my personal statement (first draft)
I've relaxed a lot so far
5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with?

Honestly, I just want it over and done with and skip off to uni!
Last edited by HumbleBee_x; 1 week ago
B-sian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maths, Physics, Economics
Yeeah went pretty good, got A*A*A predictions cant complain.
3. What surprised you the most about about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
It's kinda intense, but i find that very engaging and maybe even fun sometimes lol
4. What are you going to do this summer? Focus on transition work, read ahead of class, relax, sleep?
Finished college at he start of july, did pretty much no work for that month, now im trying to get everything done in time. Got my driving theory test soon, and curently doing lessons.
5. How are you feeling about next year? Excited? Bricking it? Want it over and done with?
cant wait to go back to college, but dont really want to do the harder work next year .
WikiZz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello everyone! I came here to hopefully find some students who were thinking about doing law in Uni (I'd love to do law but I'm not sure about what uni to go to at all, also don't know anyone who wants to do law for the future)

What subjects do you take?
Law, English Literature, Psychology

Hmm not bad I got BBC, but I am expected ABB so I definitely need to pick myself up the next time we have a mock. Overall the goal is to get at least 1 A* so that I have a more of a variety when picking universities.

3. What surprised you the most about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
To be honest I came in with the impression that It would be much different than GCSEs and I was right. At some points, I didn't have much work to be doing and suddenly all of the homework would come in these great waves, which really taught me to be much more independent. Especially in subjects such as law and english where you had to do a lot of independent research, but then again I actually quite enjoy going off and doing things on my own. What I was never told, however, was how fast the time would go by. I honestly do not know what happened to year 12 and I have no doubt it would be no time before I am sitting my exams in year 13!

You see I decided to be extremely organized and come up with this elaborate summer plan in which I was going to divide my work equally and just chip away at it throughout the summer, but really it's not going so well. It feels like It is getting harder to balance a social life and work life. like I am aware that it is summer but at the same time, I can't help but feel like I am running out of time. Also low key disappointed I made such a great list why is my brain not following it?? But to destress I did get a bunch of vintage polish books to plough through so it isn't that bad.

Welp. As I said before I know it is going to go super quick so here I am thinking I can get a whole years worth of studying done in summer, but I dont think I will be able to make it in time. Part of me is excited though because I get to see my friends but another part of me is in sheer panic at the very thought that It is my very last year before I have to go to a university that I haven't even picked... So you can say I'm a bit torn. One thing I am looking forward to though is next summer! Just the thought of having everything over and done with and just relaxing before moving onto something else sounds absolutely amazing (Kind of wishing I just get to that part already!).

Glad I'm with people who are in the same boat as me
nells45581
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Maths, English Literature, History, EPQ
A*A*A* despite a slight mental breakdown during the Pure paper. Same predicted and a very unexpected A* predicted in EPQ (we were told that particular teacher "never predicts A*s"!)
Well, I started out studying Politics instead of Eng Lit. Surprised to find that after a term and a half I was really going off it - the switch to English was the best decision I've made yet.
I've already finished my personal statement and written one of my summer essays. I have another one to write and I also need to sort out my files for next year and do some extra reading.
Absolutely bricking it fam, next term is going to be a Struggle

Any other historians/other humanities students who are having the extra reading struggles?
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Help my epq is so awful! I also feel like I’ve forgotten everything- please tell me others feel similar
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Charles767
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm a bit late to the party, but here goes!

Chemistry, physics and maths

They went okay. I managed 4As (At the time I took further maths too). I only just scraped by in physics, mainly due to lack of revision

It was definitely a big shock going into a selective school for the first time at the beginning of year 12. The sheer amount of content also surprised me, especially in chemistry.

I've been set 2 practise maths papers over the summer, plus 7 old C2 papers, so they take priority. Aside from that, mainly UCAS stuff and catching up on sleep where I can!

I'm pretty nervous, especially with tests for predicted grades at the start of the year and my school wanting Oxbridge personal statements in for the second week back!
Deggs_14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by WikiZz)
Hello everyone! I came here to hopefully find some students who were thinking about doing law in Uni (I'd love to do law but I'm not sure about what uni to go to at all, also don't know anyone who wants to do law for the future)

What subjects do you take?
Law, English Literature, Psychology

Hmm not bad I got BBC, but I am expected ABB so I definitely need to pick myself up the next time we have a mock. Overall the goal is to get at least 1 A* so that I have a more of a variety when picking universities.

3. What surprised you the most about A-levels? Did it meet your expectations?
To be honest I came in with the impression that It would be much different than GCSEs and I was right. At some points, I didn't have much work to be doing and suddenly all of the homework would come in these great waves, which really taught me to be much more independent. Especially in subjects such as law and english where you had to do a lot of independent research, but then again I actually quite enjoy going off and doing things on my own. What I was never told, however, was how fast the time would go by. I honestly do not know what happened to year 12 and I have no doubt it would be no time before I am sitting my exams in year 13!

You see I decided to be extremely organized and come up with this elaborate summer plan in which I was going to divide my work equally and just chip away at it throughout the summer, but really it's not going so well. It feels like It is getting harder to balance a social life and work life. like I am aware that it is summer but at the same time, I can't help but feel like I am running out of time. Also low key disappointed I made such a great list why is my brain not following it?? But to destress I did get a bunch of vintage polish books to plough through so it isn't that bad.

Welp. As I said before I know it is going to go super quick so here I am thinking I can get a whole years worth of studying done in summer, but I dont think I will be able to make it in time. Part of me is excited though because I get to see my friends but another part of me is in sheer panic at the very thought that It is my very last year before I have to go to a university that I haven't even picked... So you can say I'm a bit torn. One thing I am looking forward to though is next summer! Just the thought of having everything over and done with and just relaxing before moving onto something else sounds absolutely amazing (Kind of wishing I just get to that part already!).

Glad I'm with people who are in the same boat as me
Ohh what social activities have you been doing this summer? I’ve been just studying everyday and not doing anything else to be honest, still so much left to do and only two weeks left
JzANonM
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
guys, ive been trying to revise all holidays, but ive pretty much only done a few past papers, checked a few flashcards and did some reduced notes for sociology

i need motivation (
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by JzANonM)
guys, ive been trying to revise all holidays, but ive pretty much only done a few past papers, checked a few flashcards and did some reduced notes for sociology

i need motivation (
Maybe think short term pain for long term gain - only one year left? It works for me I don’t know about others
PureHeroine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I have coursework and personal statement to crack on with & I'm procrastinating so much. I am going to start English coursework today and finish completing all my assigned tasks this week for September but I also have writer's block and I can't seem to decide what my focus should be so I'm just confused.
WikiZz
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Ohh what social activities have you been doing this summer? I’ve been just studying everyday and not doing anything else to be honest, still so much left to do and only two weeks left
I have actually tried to go out with friends more often, but the sad thing is that a lot of them are either busy or on vacation! And I get really bad cabin fever when I don't do anything for a few days, so I have tried spending more time with my family or go to coffee with my sibling, that sort of stuff. I really love going out to coffee shops too! And even if you're on your own it's a great environment changer from your desk or wherever you study, even if its just like for an hour or something.I feel like in these last two weeks you just have to start making a list of what you are going to finish up at school and what you want to finish before that, in order to prevent any unwanted cramming
WikiZz
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by PureHeroine)
I have coursework and personal statement to crack on with & I'm procrastinating so much. I am going to start English coursework today and finish completing all my assigned tasks this week for September but I also have writer's block and I can't seem to decide what my focus should be so I'm just confused.
Do you mean the NEA? If so What pieces of literature are you doing for your coursework? I'm due to start my english stuff too and man is it tedious. What I started on was looking around my pieces of literature and looked at potential books to compare it too and the context of the two pieces, and seeing how they compare and contrast from one another in the most basic way possible. Maybe that would be a good start in order to find your bearings and what you want to talk about

p.s. (glad you're a Lorde fan)
Your Local Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I just want to go back to school asap just so I can escape my house.
WikiZz
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Help my epq is so awful! I also feel like I’ve forgotten everything- please tell me others feel similar
At least you started on your EPQ (I haven't even gone on to plan it yet)!
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by WikiZz)
At least you started on your EPQ (I haven't even gone on to plan it yet)!
Poor you!
WikiZz
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Poor you!
What are you doing your EPQ on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%