Royal Holloway commute Watch

Landi001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,
I'm thinking of going to Royal Holloway University to do an undergraduate degree. I want to live at home so I would be commuting from West Sussex by car which would take about 1hr 30mins.
Has anyone else done this and have any insight to share?
westie15
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It'll probably depend on which course you're taking and where your department stands on recording lectures. I know some people who can have 3 days with no lectures so no reason to come in, whereas something like Maths has lectures every day and they don't record lectures so you have to come in or miss important content. I commute home every weekend from Royal Holloway to East Sussex. It takes me about 2 and a half hours on train, but find it easier and less stressful than driving as often traffic on the M25 getting up there, so you may want to consider a season ticket instead of driving. However, in West Sussex you're probably closer, I know lots of people who commute in every day some with 2 hour journey, so if you you're up for it I'd go for it!
Landi001
Rep:
?
Taking the train is a good consideration. Thank you, that's really helpful.
(Original post by westie15)
It'll probably depend on which course you're taking and where your department stands on recording lectures. I know some people who can have 3 days with no lectures so no reason to come in, whereas something like Maths has lectures every day and they don't record lectures so you have to come in or miss important content. I commute home every weekend from Royal Holloway to East Sussex. It takes me about 2 and a half hours on train, but find it easier and less stressful than driving as often traffic on the M25 getting up there, so you may want to consider a season ticket instead of driving. However, in West Sussex you're probably closer, I know lots of people who commute in every day some with 2 hour journey, so if you you're up for it I'd go for it!
westie15
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No problem, timetables come out early September, you'll be able to check then if you have days where you're lecture-free then it will make it even better for you
(Original post by Landi001)
Taking the train is a good consideration. Thank you, that's really helpful.
Landi001
Rep:
?
Awesome
(Original post by westie15)
No problem, timetables come out early September, you'll be able to check then if you have days where you're lecture-free then it will make it even better for you
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey,
I'm thinking of going to Royal Holloway University to do an undergraduate degree. I want to live at home so I would be commuting from West Sussex by car which would take about 1hr 30mins.
Hi there,

If you are considering a commute to Royal Holloway by car you may be able to apply for a free campus parking permit, provided your commute is outside a 1.5 mile radius of the university. Though there are limited spaces to park on campus, so it's always good to get to campus early to secure a parking spot!

There is also a shuttle bus running between campus and Egham station throughout the day which costs £1 a journey or alternatively if it's a sunny day, the walk from the station to campus is only 20 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Philippa
Landi001
Rep:
?
Thanks, it is very helpful. I should probably be considering multiple possible transport options.
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
Hi there,

If you are considering a commute to Royal Holloway by car you may be able to apply for a free campus parking permit, provided your commute is outside a 1.5 mile radius of the university. Though there are limited spaces to park on campus, so it's always good to get to campus early to secure a parking spot!

There is also a shuttle bus running between campus and Egham station throughout the day which costs £1 a journey or alternatively if it's a sunny day, the walk from the station to campus is only 20 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Philippa
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I used to commute about 1 and 1/2 hours each way by car. It was tough, but I made it easier by staying over two nights per week. There is a B&B on campus (The Hub) which is pretty good if you can afford it. It's not so expensive when you consider the money you are saving in train fares or petrol. I would recommend booking a room during exam periods at least.
thesnowbones
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hey,
I actually lived in Brighton when I first started at Royal Holloway, and it wasn't too bad. It all depended on times of lectures though. 9am starts weren't great because of rush hour traffic, and I would just avoid travelling at those times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%
Putting on a brave face (229)
13.68%
Impatient (212)
12.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise