The Student Room Group

I hate eating fish but I want to love it

When I eat fish I cannot help but imagine their derpy faces, their flipping and their slippery skin. There's also the fishy taste. Yet I want to learn to enjoy fish on an almost daily basis because they are low in calories, high in protein and some have omega 3. They are basically the perfect protein source for fat loss alongside chicken breast.

For example I just cooked some salmon fillets beautifully - crispy skin and soft flavourful flesh. But there's that mental barrier and fishy taste getting in the way, even if mild. It's just not like eating steak or chicken wings. How can I learn to enjoy fish?
Reply 1
@95000 does this hurt your feelings? :aetsch:
If only you were Bengali :colone:

Perhaps start off eating it with something like couscous or vegetables, the taste alone will probably be overbearing depending on the seasonings you've used.

Cook it with onions and garlic, it'll get rid of the fishy taste :biggrin:
find other sources of nutrition :dontknow:
Try starting off by making a prawn or fish bhuna to start off with. It will take away any “fishyness” and will just taste like a curry if that makes sense. Try different herbs seasonings and marinades.
Making it into a curry/bhuna definitely disregards the 'healthy' aspect to it.
Original post by Fermion.
Try starting off by making a prawn or fish bhuna to start off with. It will take away any “fishyness” and will just taste like a curry if that makes sense. Try different herbs seasonings and marinades.
You can make healthy curries. I’ve lost a lot of weight and incorporated curry into my diet. I particularly enjoy making a chicken breast curry and throwing it in a salad or with quinoa. It’s delicious. As always it depends on your ingredients. I don’t add yoghurt or cream to mine. It adds a nice cultural twist to my meals and it means I don’t miss my own cultural food :smile:
Original post by Dunya
Making it into a curry/bhuna definitely disregards the 'healthy' aspect to it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Paper clip on your nose, wrapped cloth on your eyes and ask your friend to feed you while being tied to a chair.
Distract yourself whilst eating - maybe watch some TV or something.
Original post by Dunya
If only you were Bengali :colone:

Perhaps start off eating it with something like couscous or vegetables, the taste alone will probably be overbearing depending on the seasonings you've used.

Cook it with onions and garlic, it'll get rid of the fishy taste :biggrin:

Haha close enough, I'm Guji. My neighbours are Bengali though and they always have fish cooking.
Original post by EmperorNino
When I eat fish I cannot help but imagine their derpy faces, their flipping and their slippery skin. There's also the fishy taste. Yet I want to learn to enjoy fish on an almost daily basis because they are low in calories, high in protein and some have omega 3. They are basically the perfect protein source for fat loss alongside chicken breast.

For example I just cooked some salmon fillets beautifully - crispy skin and soft flavourful flesh. But there's that mental barrier and fishy taste getting in the way, even if mild. It's just not like eating steak or chicken wings. How can I learn to enjoy fish?

Make sauce out of them or pasta bakes etc. However, you can't complain about fish tasting like fish. It will have a fishy taste because it is fish. No way around that. That's like complaining your steak tastes too much like beef. If you don't like the fishy taste then fish may not be for you.
Original post by Fermion.
You can make healthy curries. I’ve lost a lot of weight and incorporated curry into my diet. I particularly enjoy making a chicken breast curry and throwing it in a salad or with quinoa. It’s delicious. As always it depends on your ingredients. I don’t add yoghurt or cream to mine. It adds a nice cultural twist to my meals and it means I don’t miss my own cultural food :smile:

Might give this a go. My absolute favourite fish curry is thai style coconut curry. I do get where you're coming from regarding healthy curries; one of my go-to is butter chicken except that I add A LOT of chicken to maximise protein while keeping calories moderate.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Make sauce out of them or pasta bakes etc. However, you can't complain about fish tasting like fish. It will have a fishy taste because it is fish. No way around that. That's like complaining your steak tastes too much like beef. If you don't like the fishy taste then fish may not be for you.

I like fish fingers, fillet-o-fish, fish pasta and most other things where the fish is mixed with carbs or curry. It's just eating the fillets by itself which is hard, even when accompanied with a side of rice or potatoes.
Yep, exactly. My chicken to curry ratio is a lot greater like you suggested and also I never ever add cream or any of that which is what makes a curry really fattening imo. And anything in moderation is grand.
Might give this a go. My absolute favourite fish curry is thai style coconut curry. I do get where you're coming from regarding healthy curries; one of my go-to is butter chicken except that I add A LOT of chicken to maximise protein while keeping calories moderate.
I like fish fingers, fillet-o-fish, fish pasta and most other things where the fish is mixed with carbs or curry. It's just eating the fillets by itself which is hard, even when accompanied with a side of rice or potatoes.

You eat fish in plenty of different ways so you're still getting the benefits from them. I don't see the issue here.
chicken is kinda like fish but without all that underwater business ?

:chicken:
Ultimately it is healthier eating a salmon fillet by itself (not mixed with other things) and I think OP wants to know if there are any ways they can adjust to the taste of it by itself.
You eat fish in plenty of different ways so you're still getting the benefits from them. I don't see the issue here.

Those sources I like are often carb/fat heavy. Nothing quite matches the nutrition of standalone fillets except for very lean sources like chicken breast, but I can't eat chicken breast every day. For example, you could have a 500 kcal, 50g protein meal with just cod fillets, brown rice and vegetables. I consider 500kcal/50g as the optimal ratio for a fat loss diet (you can do better e.g. fage yogurt and protein shakes, I'm just referring to complete meals).
Reply 18
Try cooking with sauce not fry or have it with side dishes.
i don't like eating a fish food.

Quick Reply

Latest