The Student Room Group

Student Finance - Marriage changes eligibility for dependants grants still under 25

Hey, I will be going into my third year of nursing in September, from the beginning of my studies I have lived with my partner and we own our own home, but as we are both under 25, for both my first and second year I have been entitled to and received the full Maintenance loan and Child's Dependence Grant, and Parent's learning allowance. I got married in August last year and when I have applied for student finance this year, I have been told that because I am now married, I am no longer eligible for any of the grants due to my partners wage being over the threshold. I feel this is discriminating married couples, especially as we are under 25 which is the threshold for income not being assessed.

Just wondered if anyone has experienced this or has any further information or explanation as to why this is? Didn't get much help when I rang student finance...

Thank you in advance!
Original post by Hollum
Hey, I will be going into my third year of nursing in September, from the beginning of my studies I have lived with my partner and we own our own home, but as we are both under 25, for both my first and second year I have been entitled to and received the full Maintenance loan and Child's Dependence Grant, and Parent's learning allowance. I got married in August last year and when I have applied for student finance this year, I have been told that because I am now married, I am no longer eligible for any of the grants due to my partners wage being over the threshold. I feel this is discriminating married couples, especially as we are under 25 which is the threshold for income not being assessed.

Just wondered if anyone has experienced this or has any further information or explanation as to why this is? Didn't get much help when I rang student finance...

Thank you in advance!

Hi there,

I can confirm that your award is directly linked to your household income. If your household income is higher that the threshold then you are not awarded the grant. All students are assessed on this basis and this is not exclusive to married couples.

Regards,
Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending