Get into oxbridge without excellent Personal Statement Watch

ipkaipka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello, this year I am going to take a part in Oxbridge (haven't decided which university yet) recruitment for undergraduate Law LLB.
I predict to have perfect final exams scores (I am an EU student and I am passing my local exams).
My problem is that I decided to study law one year ago and before that decision, all my interests were related to computer science (I attended to internships, take a part in contests and work in this field). Is it possible to get into these universities without taking a part at any internships in law-related companies or any other legal activity?
I read that these universities make offers only for "geeks" in some subjects which are interested and active in them for a very long time, so I am afraid that they can deny my application as my PS won't be good enough. I am a socially engaged person, who is interested in many activities like a school council (I was a chairman).
Do you think is it possible to get an offer for these universities with PS like that? I think it is very good as it shows me as an active person which fits into the lawyer profession and most of the universities should accept that but as we all know Oxbridge govern their rights Thank you for help.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ipkaipka)
Hello, this year I am going to take a part in Oxbridge (haven't decided which university yet) recruitment for undergraduate Law LLB.
I predict to have perfect final exams scores (I am an EU student and I am passing my local exams).
My problem is that I decided to study law one year ago and before that decision, all my interests were related to computer science (I attended to internships, take a part in contests and work in this field). Is it possible to get into these universities without taking a part at any internships in law-related companies or any other legal activity?
I read that these universities make offers only for "geeks" in some subjects which are interested and active in them for a very long time, so I am afraid that they can deny my application as my PS won't be good enough. I am a socially engaged person, who is interested in many activities like a school council (I was a chairman).
Do you think is it possible to get an offer for these universities with PS like that? I think it is very good as it shows me as an active person which fits into the lawyer profession and most of the universities should accept that but as we all know Oxbridge govern their rights Thank you for help.
It's anyone's guess whether you'll be successful or not, the only way you'll know is if you apply. I'd suggest you starting reading around law as a subject, go and visit some court rooms if you're able to, try to get whatever experience you're able to. The PS won't be the only element of your application, and your strong grades will do you credit.

Don't give up, but don't do nothing about your weaknesses either.
ipkaipka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
It's anyone's guess whether you'll be successful or not, the only way you'll know is if you apply. I'd suggest you starting reading around law as a subject, go and visit some court rooms if you're able to, try to get whatever experience you're able to. The PS won't be the only element of your application, and your strong grades will do you credit.

Don't give up, but don't do nothing about your weaknesses either.
Thank you for your answer.
My main fear was that I won't be able to complete any law-related activities before 15th October, but now I realized that I am able to even complete 1-month internship in court or law-related company and read a lot books about legal science. It should improve my PS and give me huge acknowledge about this area.
aesthete1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oxbridge don't require any sort of work experience for law, as their courses are about the study of the law as an academic subject, not about training to become a lawyer. they are much more interested in the reading you've done, and you can definitely read some law books over the summer and put these on a personal statement. in general your personal statement should be academic, not focused on your extracurriculars; they won't care particularly that you were on the school council.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.18%
Worried (305)
17.95%
Terrified (378)
22.25%
Meh (163)
9.59%
Confused (37)
2.18%