China says it wont rule out use of force to reunify Taiwan

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
This would seem to be more posturing than anything else. Whilst China does have an impressive collection of missiles and such to strike Taiwan, if it felt the need, i'd be curious as to how they expect to land forces on the island.
Taiwan has formidable defences aimed specifically at stopping this. It has few beaches that are suitable for amphibious landings (and the ones that are are literally minefields). China has bugger all landing craft capable of making it there, plus any that did would likely be sunk on sight by the Taiwanese.
With that being said the fact China would appear, on paper, incapable of physically taking the island (never mind the US response) they could still likely lay waste to much of it with its fleet of bombers and ballistic missiles.

BEIJING (AP) — China said it will not renounce the use of force in efforts to reunify Taiwan with the mainland and vowed to take all necessary military measures to defeat “separatists.”
In a national defense white paper released Wednesday, China listed among its top priorities its resolve to contain “Taiwan independence” and combat what it considers separatist forces in Tibet and the far west region of Xinjiang.
The paper, published every few years, is an outline of China’s national defense policy. Wednesday’s report highlighted China’s “defensive” approach, but also pledged to “surely counterattack if attacked.”
Defense Ministry spokesman Wu Qian said the threat of Taiwan separatism is growing and warned that those who are seeking Taiwan independence will meet a dead end.
“It anyone dares to separate Taiwan from China, the Chinese army will certainly fight, resolutely defending the country’s sovereign unity and territorial integrity,” Wu said.
Taiwan, a democratically-governed island, split from the Communist Party-ruled mainland China amid civil war in 1949. China maintains that Taiwan is part of its territory and seeks “complete reunification.”
The U.S. has repeatedly raised Beijing’s ire by selling arms to Taiwan. While the U.S. does not have formal diplomatic ties with Taiwan, U.S. law requires that it provide Taiwan with sufficient defense equipment and services for self-defense.
Earlier this month, the U.S. tentatively approved a sale of $2.2 billion in arms to Taiwan — a proposal which had prompted China to threaten sanctions against the U.S. Taiwan’s defense ministry said it made the request in light of a growing military threat from China.
The white paper also pointed to U.S., Japanese and Australian moves to beef up their military presence and alliances in the Asia-Pacific as bringing uncertainties to the region.
The U.S. deployment of a missile defense system in South Korea has severely undermined the regional strategic balance, the report said. It further noted Japan’s reinterpretation of its post-World War II constitution to allow its military to operate farther from its shores.
China’s military expansion in recent years has prompted concerns among other Pacific countries in a region long dominated by the U.S. Navy.
https://www.apnews.com/6076b2e577a44d448ae07f0666b4934a
JoelBigSmokeTea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Its just bluffing from the CCP to scare Taiwanese voters in the upcoming election. They're not stupid enough to seriously invade Taiwan for the reasons you've mentioned in your post.
Last edited by JoelBigSmokeTea; 8 months ago
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I can't see there being any serious attempt by the PRC to invade Taiwan for at least five years, if not the next decade. Their naval capabilities aren't up to the task at this point and I doubt the leadership of the PRC are stupid enough to class the invasion as a glorified river crossing as previous nations have viewed bodies of water.
Seeing as realistically the only enemy of the ROC is the PRC, Taiwan whole defence plan can be focused at that enemy. Even if the PRC started a major campaign to increase its naval lift capabilities, nothing happens in a vacuum and a response from the US would be very likely. Including possible advanced military equipment sales to Taiwan, which the US tries not to do in order to avoid antagonising the PRC. While it's unlikely the ROC will get F-35s in the relatively near future, a more advanced aircraft sale looks likely - probably a modernised F-16 variant.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019...unusual-twist/
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The Chinese elite are too clever to engage Taiwan militarily at this moment in time for several reasons: the PLAAF cannot guarantee air superiority over the straits; the PLAN is, and will remain for the foreeseable future, incapable of landing enough troops onto the island, let alone possess the capabilities of supplying them; and, more importantly, in my opinion, China's image in the world, which the ruling elite care deeply about and have worked tirelessly to improve, would be all but ruined.

Taiwan will inevitably rejoin the motherland - whether willingly or not is up for debate (my guess is the latter) - because China will become far too powerful in the 21st century for any other reasonable course of action to take place, however, I would be surprised if this happened before 2050.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Stalin)
The Chinese elite are too clever to engage Taiwan militarily at this moment in time for several reasons: the PLAAF cannot guarantee air superiority over the straits; the PLAN is, and will remain for the foreeseable future, incapable of landing enough troops onto the island, let alone possess the capabilities of supplying them; and, more importantly, in my opinion, China's image in the world, which the ruling elite care deeply about and have worked tirelessly to improve, would be all but ruined.

Taiwan will inevitably rejoin the motherland - whether willingly or not is up for debate (my guess is the latter) - because China will become far too powerful in the 21st century for any other reasonable course of action to take place, however, I would be surprised if this happened before 2050.
China is hoping that we have forgotten about the Tiananmen Square massacre of students and their continuing abuse of Tibetan monks.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Stalin)
In 2050, it will be Nigeria, not China, who is the foremost world power.
JoelBigSmokeTea
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
In 2050, it will be Nigeria, not China, who is the foremost world power.
India superpower number one 2020 2030
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Cmon China, that economy and government has to collapse sometime.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads