Back to A-Levels or Apprenticeship? Watch

satsun
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So, I have ambitions to one day break into the Political sphere, as I’m truly passionate about this sector.

I am at a crossroads about where to take my life. I can either go to Sixth-Form and go the ‘traditional route’, or take up an apprenticeship with the civil service, which involves working in and around the heart of Government for two years.

What path is more stable?
satsun
Rep:
?
bump
almondtitan3152
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd say apprenticeship - if you are passionate then you will go towards your goal, doing 3 a levels in subjects you don't care about won't really make you happy- working around the government will put you ahead of the other people who want to work within the political square, the experience you can gain will be invaluable
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by almondtitan3152)
I'd say apprenticeship - if you are passionate then you will go towards your goal, doing 3 a levels in subjects you don't care about won't really make you happy- working around the government will put you ahead of the other people who want to work within the political square, the experience you can gain will be invaluable
Yeah, this is what I was thinking too! Although, I have been looking at current politicians, both senior and junior, and the majority seem to be university educated, will I be disadvantaged?
almondtitan3152
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For me to give a yes or no answer would be ignorant, the reason is because I don't know about your sector, I'd ask someone who is already in the political square, but in this day and age, not having a uni degree isn't seen downed upon because if the convo is brought up, you can slap them with experience in the civil service- the networking the social skills, keep in mind you asked about being uni educated, you haven't even done your a levels/btec, so you would have to go through 2 years and then a minimum of 3 years totalling 5 years to get some papers saying you've done X course getting X grades, in 5 years the amount of epxierence you can gain in that time, is unparallel and ofc youll be much happier
satsun
Rep:
?
thank you for that great advice! does anyone who has an insight to politics have any ideas?
(Original post by almondtitan3152)
For me to give a yes or no answer would be ignorant, the reason is because I don't know about your sector, I'd ask someone who is already in the political square, but in this day and age, not having a uni degree isn't seen downed upon because if the convo is brought up, you can slap them with experience in the civil service- the networking the social skills, keep in mind you asked about being uni educated, you haven't even done your a levels/btec, so you would have to go through 2 years and then a minimum of 3 years totalling 5 years to get some papers saying you've done X course getting X grades, in 5 years the amount of epxierence you can gain in that time, is unparallel and ofc youll be much happier
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%