The Student Room Group

Self teaching a levels

I’ll cut it as short as possible. I’m currently 25 I never went to college after I left school I went straight into work. I want to get a degree. Has anyone got any idea if I could self teach a levels as I’ve never done them? How would I go about doing this and if I were to choose a science how do I complete the practicals and what would it involve? How do I apply for uni if I’m not enrolled anywhere? Would this be an issue? Do unis accept this way or will they rather have students? Cheers
I self studied maths, physics, chem and econ... I didnt do the practicals cause the unis I appled to didnt want them cause I was a private candidate...

And Unis do accept students like that....
Reply 2
Can I ask how you taught yourself and how you knew what areas to study? How do you know if a uni wants them? Doesn’t that risk the chances of a lower grade to get in especially for something like vet med (I’m hoping to study) and where did you sit your exams did they cost a lot? Sorry if that’s too many questions
Original post by multitasker34
I self studied maths, physics, chem and econ... I didnt do the practicals cause the unis I appled to didnt want them cause I was a private candidate...

And Unis do accept students like that....
Original post by Anonymous
Can I ask how you taught yourself and how you knew what areas to study? How do you know if a uni wants them? Doesn’t that risk the chances of a lower grade to get in especially for something like vet med (I’m hoping to study) and where did you sit your exams did they cost a lot? Sorry if that’s too many questions

No not too many questions at all... happy to help...

So I went through the specification and my CGP revision guide and just went through the book answering questions... and then I did ALL of the past papers since 2009 cause those questions some times do come up... and there are only a limited number of questions they can ask you on a topic...

And no that doesnt affect the chance of you getting in... unis want people who can study independantly...

And my exams didnt cost a lot for me... depends on what you mean by "a lot"

And I know many people who have done it independantly and did better than others with A*, A and B kinda grades...
Reply 4
It would probably be easier if you did an access course, it would get you into the course you want without having to do A-levels. If you chose to do a science A-level it could become more complicated because alot of the practicals are compulsory so you'd need to be fully enrolled into college to do them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending