Sexting on Kik, Is this a legal problem? Watch

marisawattson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Sexting on Kik, is that a problem? Ok, my cousin is dumb. She was talking about Kik in some group chat and this group is only for people over 18. Then someone came in and asked her age. She said 18. So this person asked in the group "Is anyone looking to exchange photos?". My cousin decided she was downstairs and sent a private message to this person. They talked and my cousin asked for nudes. the person said "You first" and my cousin accepted with nude photos, not face only private body parts. Now the person to whom she sent a message did not respond to anything. Anyway, he wants to be replied, so my questions are: is this a cop or could he be a cop? Although they said they were 18 and there is evidence that they said they were 18, could this still be illegal? And she have to be worried about something? I would like to say that you can relax. She is more concerned because she got no answer at all. Also if that were a problem, how long would it take the police to reach my door? It happened about last night and my cousin is 18 years old. Thank you
nabilahhh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
it’s not illegal.
Palmyra
Badges: 20
Report 2 months ago
Your "cousin" just got exploited by someone who then ghosted her. No illegal behaviour for the police to get involved with, just very stupid behaviour from your "cousin".
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well, it's a weird one.

Under s15A SOA (sexual comms with child), seemingly there would be no liability as there would be a reasonable belief that the person was 16+. However under s12 (causing a child to watch a sexual activity, inc image), there is an offence if you do not reasonably believe the child is over 16 or if the child is in fact under 13. The latter meaning even if you have concrete proof the child was 17 (e.g. forged ID), you'd still be liable if they were in fact under 13. It would seem improbable that this would cover exchanges at arm's length.
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Kik.... last time I checked it was 2019 not 2012.
marisawattson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Palmyra)
Your "cousin" just got exploited by someone who then ghosted her. No illegal behaviour for the police to get involved with, just very stupid behaviour from your "cousin".
Yep that's right
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dunya)
Kik.... last time I checked it was 2019 not 2012.
Look. It really is so simple. Don't post photos of yourself you wouldn't want your mum or Aunty Mavis to see. Once you click send it is out yhere for ever and meta data embedded in most images can reveal not only who you are but where you live.

Why can't people do this simple rule?
marisawattson
Rep:
?
You'r right! but because pleasure from sext make them Dumb!
(Original post by ByEeek)
Look. It really is so simple. Don't post photos of yourself you wouldn't want your mum or Aunty Mavis to see. Once you click send it is out yhere for ever and meta data embedded in most images can reveal not only who you are but where you live.

Why can't people do this simple rule?
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Try not to make a mess on the keyboard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads