How do you deal with the writer's block?

Watch
TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do you ever stare at the screen for what feel like yeaaars, finally you face the calamity of your miserable situation, that there are thousands of words left to write and you haven't written a single one... you push yourself to put down a few words, then you realise that it's ****, you are going to make a fool out of yourself, graduate without a distinction, get rejected for PhD funding and end up as the unemployed doctor with 10's of thousands of pounds of chronic liver and lung damage. Writing essays... writing for me... is so very hard... it's a drain on my confidence. I read a lot makes notes and everything... i don't struggle to understand the material but i find it very hard to write. I think i procrastinate with just reading, reading, reading to escape from the bad feeling I get when I write. It reminds of all the attempts ive made to get 70s and failed, it always ends up in miserable mediocrity (around 65), mainly because i don't spend a lot of time writing the essay, the essays end up a bit and never enough time to go past a first draft. How do you manage it? Is this something everyone goes through? Any advice for dealing with the writers block in general is also appreciated :-) thanks all in advance.

TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone?
aubindes bois
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
Do you ever stare at the screen for what feel like yeaaars, finally you face the calamity of your miserable situation, that there are thousands of words left to write and you haven't written a single one... you push yourself to put down a few words, then you realise that it's ****, you are going to make a fool out of yourself, graduate without a distinction, get rejected for PhD funding and end up as the unemployed doctor with 10's of thousands of pounds of chronic liver and lung damage. Writing essays... writing for me... is so very hard... it's a drain on my confidence. I read a lot makes notes and everything... i don't struggle to understand the material but i find it very hard to write. I think i procrastinate with just reading, reading, reading to escape from the bad feeling I get when I write. It reminds of all the attempts ive made to get 70s and failed, it always ends up in miserable mediocrity (around 65), mainly because i don't spend a lot of time writing the essay, the essays end up a bit and never enough time to go past a first draft. How do you manage it? Is this something everyone goes through? Any advice for dealing with the writers block in general is also appreciated :-) thanks all in advance.
I TrotskyiteRebel,

I believe you have 1 key issue :
Issue: You have a high level of emotional resistance
There are many emotions going when you
uncertainty: Will I find the appropriate words? w how much effort will it take me to figure out a proper structure?
hard work: I still have plenty of work to be done before sending my manuscript
boredom: Repeating the same process of reflecting back of what you just wrote is so tedious.
Creativity: Wil I have new ideas?
Perfectionism: is it good enough?
all this combines and creates a huge emotional resistance. It holds you back and blocks your creativity. It is so frustrating.

Solution: Use free writing
When you clearly write or talk about what you feel, it removes the destructive power theses emotions embeds. And ideas linked to this  topic will start flowing in your mind. The more you describe your feeling and state of consciousness, the more this method is effective
As you write you will observe that emotions raise within you. You might start to a part of your body vibrate. That's good.

The process goes like this:
As soon As you experience a feeling of writer blocks, Take a piece of paper. Write down all the things that piss you of the most.
1/What do you want to do and what are you doing instead? ( x 12 times)

I want to work on homework Xxx but I am doing activity Yyy instead.
2/ What are you angry/ afraid / ashamed of/ sad for / wondering for? List 3 reasons( x 12 times)
I feel unfair that teachers gave so much homework
I am afraid it would be hard or  that it might be difficult to write a few words.
I fear that it might take a long time
I fear that I might be criticized
I am angry people force me to learn to do it.
I fear that my family will be disappointed in me if don’t produce a great result.

This exercise requires 10 min straight before you can observe results but is effective.

Courage. Don't back down. I don't know if you still need it since 2019 but you can help someone else.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
Hey there, I hear you, and please know that you're not alone in these struggles. Here are some tips to address writer's block, see if it helps: https://hyperbolit.com/2020/04/15/ho...ge-in-writing/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (97)
22.56%
No (333)
77.44%

Watched Threads