How many hours should I volunteer per week?

Watch
goofygoober6
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is 20 hours per week too much? I told my mum 15 and she thought this was too much. It's a charity shop very close to my house so I wouldn't need to pay for transport. I would be doing it for 8 weeks and I'm doing it to get retail experience before I go back to uni so I could use them as a reference for a retail job. Also should I tell them I'm doing it for experience so they can give me more relevant tasks? However they did say they would train me on how to use the tills. Sorry for the essay.
Last edited by goofygoober6; 2 years ago
velvethopes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As many hours as you're happy and comfortable with spending your summer doing
nimmoxoxo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I work at a third sector interface which is basically a volunteering support organisation in Scotland and we encourage people to volunteer as much as they'd feel comfortable with doing and we also remind them that volunteering isn't as heavy a commitment as a full time job therefore if your circumstances change you can reduce your hours at short notice without really leaving the recruiter out of pocket. So start with what you would feel happiest doing and for what your schedule allows and see how you go.

My sister did the same as you a couple of years back before uni and she volunteered 3 x 5 hour shifts at a charity shop on different days and she found it so rewarding and helpful in gaining future part-time work.
goofygoober6
Rep:
?
(Original post by nimmoxoxo)
I work at a third sector interface which is basically a volunteering support organisation in Scotland and we encourage people to volunteer as much as they'd feel comfortable with doing and we also remind them that volunteering isn't as heavy a commitment as a full time job therefore if your circumstances change you can reduce your hours at short notice without really leaving the recruiter out of pocket. So start with what you would feel happiest doing and for what your schedule allows and see how you go.

My sister did the same as you a couple of years back before uni and she volunteered 3 x 5 hour shifts at a charity shop on different days and she found it so rewarding and helpful in gaining future part-time work.
Thanks for your advice. I'm actually worried that that wouldn't give me a reference. What are the chances that they won't give me a reference?
Last edited by goofygoober6; 2 years ago
nimmoxoxo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You'll find that people who run charity shops tend to be super happy to give out references because they know that a lot of people use volunteering roles as routes to work and as a way to gain experience. As long as you're pleasant and show commitment to the role I'm sure the shop manager would be happy to help out, especially if they get to know you as a person over the course of 8 weeks.
(Original post by goofygoober6)
Thanks for your advice. I'm actually worried that that wouldn't give me a reference. What are the chances that they won't give me a reference?
goofygoober6
Rep:
?
(Original post by nimmoxoxo)
You'll find that people who run charity shops tend to be super happy to give out references because they know that a lot of people use volunteering roles as routes to work and as a way to gain experience. As long as you're pleasant and show commitment to the role I'm sure the shop manager would be happy to help out, especially if they get to know you as a person over the course of 8 weeks.
Thank you so much this puts my mind at rest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.26%
Excited but a bit nervous (125)
45.62%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.77%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed