Should i study full time or part time Watch

Melissagrace1998
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm interested in studying the primary education degree at the open university in either October or February. Ive been thinking on it a while now. i want to do something with my career and earn more money but don't know what to do yet🤷🤷. I think a teacher would be a lot of work and I'm not sure if im a 100 percent yet that it is what i want? but i dont want to regret not doing a degree when im younger (21) whilst I have nothing to worry about yet. (Like children) and theres always a possibility I could be ready to be a teacher after studying for 4 years minimum.

I'm currently at a primary school 30 hours as a TA and I'm not sure whether to study at the open university as part time which would take 6 years which i hate the thought of doing something for that long😪😪😪. Or full time for 3 🙏. I 100 percent want to do it full time but im not sure if I could manage the work load. I know that at a brick uni it's usually like 2 and half days at a uni which i wouldn't class full time. What does everyone else think ? Has anyone done full time work and full time study
Last edited by Melissagrace1998; 3 weeks ago
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Melissagrace1998)
I'm interested in studying the primary education degree at the open university in either October or February. Ive been thinking on it a while now. i want to do something with my career and earn more money but don't know what to do yet🤷🤷. I think a teacher would be a lot of work and I'm not sure if im a 100 percent yet that it is what i want? but i dont want to regret not doing a degree when im younger (21) whilst I have nothing to worry about yet. (Like children) and theres always a possibility I could be ready to be a teacher after studying for 4 years minimum.

I'm currently at a primary school 30 hours as a TA and I'm not sure whether to study at the open university as part time which would take 6 years which i hate the thought of doing something for that long😪😪😪. Or full time for 3 🙏. I 100 percent want to do it full time but im not sure if I could manage the work load. I know that at a brick uni it's usually like 2 and half days at a uni which i wouldn't class full time. What does everyone else think ? Has anyone done full time work and full time study
Hi Melissagrace1998

My advice would be that studying fulltime at university does allow you to work 2 days a week part-time. This will help with any financial worries you may have and it will mean you can get the degree finished within 4 years.

Have you ever considered studying for a Primary Education with Qualified Teaching Status (QTS)? This would be a 3-year course that would get you the QT status. It would mean not having to study for a PGCE as an additional 4th year. Along with our university, there are plenty of universities that offer Primary Education with QTS. I will put a link to our website if you are interested.

Hope that I helped. If you need any more advice please give me a shout.

Dom :bhangra:
Melissagrace1998
Rep:
?
Hello thank you for the information it's a route I have not looked into yet. However i do work 30 hours so unfortunately this route wouldn't work for me as I couldn't attend a brick university and would need to study outside my working hours which has made me look into the open university
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi Melissagrace1998

My advice would be that studying fulltime at university does allow you to work 2 days a week part-time. This will help with any financial worries you may have and it will mean you can get the degree finished within 4 years.

Have you ever considered studying for a Primary Education with Qualified Teaching Status (QTS)? This would be a 3-year course that would get you the QT status. It would mean not having to study for a PGCE as an additional 4th year. Along with our university, there are plenty of universities that offer Primary Education with QTS. I will put a link to our website if you are interested.

Hope that I helped. If you need any more advice please give me a shout.

Dom :bhangra:
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Are you thinking of doing a Primary Ed. degree or something else?
Melissagrace1998
Rep:
?
Think I'm going to do primary education. I'm still not 100 percent in being a teacher but i think that could come in time. Also thinking of topping it up with a speech and language masters if possible to be a speech and language therapist. Just wondering what options I have. I definitely know i would like to further my career with something
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Are you thinking of doing a Primary Ed. degree or something else?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Think I'm going to do primary education. I'm still not 100 percent in being a teacher but i think that could come in time. Also thinking of topping it up with a speech and language masters if possible to be a speech and language therapist. Just wondering what options I have. I definitely know i would like to further my career with something
With a Primary Ed. degree, you'd be doing placements during the year. These placements would be full time working as a teacher (assuming you're doing a full time degree) and probably wouldn't allow for other work.

Even if you followed a part time route, I think it would be very tricky to work 30 hours a week and get your school placements done.

If you want to do a Primary Ed. degree, then I think you'll need to accept you'll have to give up your current job and try to find something more flexible.
Melissagrace1998
Rep:
?
The open university states having a placement for x amount of hours and i work 30hours in a primary school so i dont think i need to "accept I'll have to give up my job"

The open university is also flexible as its distant learning
With a Primary Ed. degree, you'd be doing placements during the year. These placements would be full time working as a teacher (assuming you're doing a full time degree) and probably wouldn't allow for other work.

Even if you followed a part time route, I think it would be very tricky to work 30 hours a week and get your school placements done.

If you want to do a Primary Ed. degree, then I think you'll need to accept you'll have to give up your current job and try to find something more flexible.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The open university states having a placement for x amount of hours and i work 30hours in a primary school so i dont think i need to "accept I'll have to give up my job"

The open university is also flexible as its distant learning
30 hours a week as a TA is getting on for most of the school day most days isn't it? You won't be allowed to do your placements as an hour here and an hour there. Even on a part time degree, you'll do them in blocks and be expected to commit to at least 2-3 fixed days per week. How do you expect to fit this in alongside working in a school for 30 hours a week already?

I think you're being a bit unrealistic about what a primary ed degree will actually involve.
Melissagrace1998
Rep:
?
I can choose my own placement which will be where my job is. I know plenty of people who work 30 hours on a school and study both part time and full time at the open university along side working. Have you studied at primary education at the open university before
30 hours a week as a TA is getting on for most of the school day most days isn't it? You won't be allowed to do your placements as an hour here and an hour there. Even on a part time degree, you'll do them in blocks and be expected to commit to at least 2-3 fixed days per week. How do you expect to fit this in alongside working in a school for 30 hours a week already?

I think you're being a bit unrealistic about what a primary ed degree will actually involve.
Attached files
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can choose my own placement which with will be where my job is. I know plenty of people who work 30 hours on a school and study both part time and full time at the open university along side working. Have you studied at primary education at the open university before
I'm well aware that people can manage study, especially via distance learning, whilst working. However, given what I know of school placements and the requirements to get QTS, I don't see how it would be possible to do a placement and work full time as a TA, even within the same school. Have you actually discussed this plan with your school at all?

To get QTS, you also need to do placements at two different schools.

Now, clearly you think it's possible to make this work, and good luck to you if that's the route you decide to go down.
Melissagrace1998
Rep:
?
This degree doesn't give me qualified teacher status It's just a degree where I'd need to do a pgce after
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This degree doesn't give me qualified teacher status It's just a degree where I'd need to do a pgce after
Surely it would be better to do a degree that leads to QTS if you think you're most likely to want to be a primary school teacher?

If the degree doesn't lead to QTS, then I can see it would be less rigorous and might be possible to balance with full time work, but what would you actually hope to gain from the degree.
Melissagrace1998
Rep:
?
A degree...... it means i can work alongside it for 3 years then do a PGCE through my school instead of giving up work for 3 or 4 years
Surely it would be better to do a degree that leads to QTS if you think you're most likely to want to be a primary school teacher?

If the degree doesn't lead to QTS, then I can see it would be less rigorous and might be possible to balance with full time work, but what would you actually hope to gain from the degree.
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I studied my degree through distance learning (non education degree) and now about to start a PGCE (on campus). I'd say, start with one module and see how you get on. You can always increase the modules so that you can finish quicker if you want to. I did mine part time whilst working full time.
You would also be in an excellent position if you decided to go into teaching. You could do a School Direct course if the school you currently work at offer that.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would categorically not do my training at a school I was already working as a TA. This would be confusing for the pupils and would be difficult for you as a student teacher, you need to experience other places and other ways schools work.
(Original post by Muserock)
I studied my degree through distance learning (non education degree) and now about to start a PGCE (on campus). I'd say, start with one module and see how you get on. You can always increase the modules so that you can finish quicker if you want to. I did mine part time whilst working full time.
You would also be in an excellent position if you decided to go into teaching. You could do a School Direct course if the school you currently work at offer that.
Melissagrace1998
Rep:
?
Yes they do thank you for your advice. Did you try doing 2 modules in the year. I'm maybe thinking start with 2 and then if i struggle my second year I can do part time
(Original post by Muserock)
bwilliams
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

The primary Ed degree with the open university is not a QTS degree. It is Education studies but a primary education version. It does not require teaching placements as a primary education BEd degree would. The OP would be able to complete this degree alongside their TA work schedule. Working as a TA alongside this degree would actually be most beneficial as it would count as your school experience.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Am I being really dense. But how can a part time course take the same amount of time as a full time course (3 years). For a full time course to take 3 years I would say a minimum of 25 hours a week is needed. If you are working 30 hours. Your going to have to put in 55 hours a work a week. Is this something you can commit to at the moment? I’m still in the same mindset as others on here. Don’t do the degree without QTS, I don’t think it would be as beneficial as a BEd with QTS. But I think you have already made up your mind and didn’t want peoples advice...
Melissagrace1998
Rep:
?
I've made my mind up about studying with the open university and getting my PGCE after. That's not what my post was about. My post was asking if anyone had studied full time along side working and i wanted to know peoples stories and advice on the work load not people's advice on where to study and i stated in my first post part time is 6 years
Full time is 3. PGCE is 1 year
(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
Am I being really dense. But how can a part time course take the same amount of time as a full time course (3 years). For a full time course to take 3 years I would say a minimum of 25 hours a week is needed. If you are working 30 hours. Your going to have to put in 55 hours a work a week. Is this something you can commit to at the moment? I’m still in the same mindset as others on here. Don’t do the degree without QTS, I don’t think it would be as beneficial as a BEd with QTS. But I think you have already made up your mind and didn’t want peoples advice...
FinallyFinished
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've just finished the Education Studies (Primary) degree through the OU. Lots of us studied fulltime and a lot of people were working fulltime as TAs too. It's tough and you'd need to be very organised and willing to give up most of your social life between October and June each year...but it is doable. My advice would be to study fulltime for level 1 and 2 and swap to part time for level 3. It would take 4 years but allow you to really do your best at level 3 when it counts the most. Good luck whatever you decide.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise