OD1555
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
When applying for a training contract in a top law firm such as magic/silver circle/Large American Firms, to what extent is the university you attended important?

For example, I’ve read that it would be very hard to secure a top training contract, even if you have a first, if it’s from a low ranking uni. However I’ve seen that, quite obviously, they look favourably on oxbridge.

What I mean to ask is, are training contracts with such prestigious firms nearly exclusive to oxbridge law graduates or would I have a strong chance in securing a contract if I had achieved a first from maybe Durham or Nottingham as long as I impress enough during interviews and vacation schemes?
mrmoffin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will definitely be able to achieve a training contract from durham or nottingham with a first.. those are top law schools so why not ? I have seen a girl secure a training contract with a first from my uni which is Essex at Freshfields. It is really standard stuff You just have to be really good
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is a great deal of misleading info out there on 'preferred' Unis - take this report as one example : https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...d-universities

This isn't a scientific survey. It's not a university ranking table, or a list of unis that law firms prefer. It's a simple survey of which universities trainees that year came from. There's a big difference. Course quality and law firms' preferences come into it, but many other factors come into play. Finally, there are no guarantees in this game. You could get a First at Oxford or Durham and still be unemployed.

Just because a Law Firm takes more applicants from any one Uni in any year, it doesn't mean that that Uni is PREFERRED (have these people not been to Uni and learnt to distinguish correlation from causation - clearly not). If you think about it, all firms will have a majority from one or two Unis - the reasons may be geographic, that they only bothered to do recruitment fairs at those Unis, or simply that it is a total coincidence. And many LLB graduates do not go into a legal career at all - so they wont even have been asked the question.

And once Clifford Chance stated that they not regarding 'which Uni' at all, many other firms have followed this practice : https://www.independent.co.uk/studen...s-9050227.html
skylarwalker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the reason why the firms may seem largely in favour of the russell group is because a lot of firms set there requirements at ABB (top firms) or above, and if you did get these grades or above then it is quite likely that you would be studying at a russell group uni. So that might be an additional reason as to why things seem disproportionate.
aspiringlawyerNW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by skylarwalker)
I think the reason why the firms may seem largely in favour of the russell group is because a lot of firms set there requirements at ABB (top firms) or above, and if you did get these grades or above then it is quite likely that you would be studying at a russell group uni. So that might be an additional reason as to why things seem disproportionate.
Sounds like a very sensible suggestion to me!
HarvestingSeason
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by skylarwalker)
Wouldn't you say that certain law schools/law societies have better ties with employers, though (legitimately asking, not making any claims or going against what you said. I have zero experience or knowledge concerning this matter, just conjecture)?
skylarwalker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HarvestingSeason)
Wouldn't you say that certain law schools/law societies have better ties with employers, though (legitimately asking, not making any claims or going against what you said. I have zero experience or knowledge concerning this matter, just conjecture)?
Yes I would say so, it’s also the job of the firms to broaden the universities they visit to legitimise their claims that they have no university bias. Also i think some russell groups have stronger ties than others which is perhaps why some have only average training contract success.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (9)
39.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
8.7%
No I am happy with my choice (12)
52.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads