The Student Room Group

Should I still go on a date with this guy?

He approached me in the pub last Friday and told me I was very beautiful, which I thought was sweet. He was there with a girl who was apparently his best female friend and when he went to the loo she was really bigging him up to me and saying what a nice and sweet guy he is. He postponed our initial date because he was hungover. This is going to sound bad on my part but he seems clingy by text and it is putting me off before we have even been on the date. I will always reply within the day, and if it's something that requires me to reply quickly I will do so; I don't leave people waiting days. But if I haven't replied in a couple of hours he will send me "how is your day going?" And generally double texts a lot finding ways to keep the conversation going if I haven't replied to one. I am probably just used to uninterested guys taking days to reply. Should I give him a chance anyway? I hope that doesn't make me sound awful, maybe he is just a quick texter.
Give him a chance in real life to show you what he's made of. Hopefully he won't slip in it.:flute:

And next time you see him, let him know he can calm down on the texting.
Reply 2
It's true I should at least give him a chance. I went on a date about a month ago with somebody similar in terms of texting, even more so. I told him once I was busy with my family that evening. One hour after his text he sent another saying "I take it you're still with your family?" He would send me goodnight texts and told me how excited he was about meeting me after 2 days of exchanging messages. All this before our first date. 5 minutes after we said goodbye after the first date, I got a text from him saying what we should do on our 2nd date, despite having not even agreed to one. I feel bad for saying this as I am sure that like myself they have been hurt in the past and then they maybe get a little over-excited, or they want somebody so badly. It just comes across a little off-putting.
It’s normal if he instantly reply, it shows he appreciate you and respect you. This is odd that you like that type of guys that leave you hanging for days till you get a reply. But maybe you should give it a try with that dude.

Some people are different irl than on texts. Some people talk a lot on texts and are quiet irl. Some talk less on texts and they blow your head irl. It’s just normal. If you’re planning to go on date, then make it for yourself so you’d get to know him more.

If you liked it, keep going with the conversation. If not, then try to be nice and tell him in a nice way.

Oh btw, pretty sure whenever you get a dude, you’ll find bad things you’d dislike about him. But it isn’t about the good things, it’s about are you able to handle these bad traits? If yes, then it might work. If not, then it won’t work and it’s better to end it asap.
Reply 4
You are absolutely right, and those are very valid points. I should give him a chance. It's not even that he replies quickly; it's true that he is respectful in that sense. It's just that he seems to panic if I haven't replied within a short time frame and sends another one. I would just like to make sure he is interested in who I am and doesn't just so badly want any girlfriend.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
He approached me in the pub last Friday and told me I was very beautiful, which I thought was sweet. He was there with a girl who was apparently his best female friend and when he went to the loo she was really bigging him up to me and saying what a nice and sweet guy he is. He postponed our initial date because he was hungover. This is going to sound bad on my part but he seems clingy by text and it is putting me off before we have even been on the date. I will always reply within the day, and if it's something that requires me to reply quickly I will do so; I don't leave people waiting days. But if I haven't replied in a couple of hours he will send me "how is your day going?" And generally double texts a lot finding ways to keep the conversation going if I haven't replied to one. I am probably just used to uninterested guys taking days to reply. Should I give him a chance anyway? I hope that doesn't make me sound awful, maybe he is just a quick texter.

Hold on a minute! Slow down! What exactly are you looking for? long term or short term? If it is long term then take your time! Ask questions? If guys take days to reply to anything you text them then that should always be a red flag to you! You don't know much about him yet so take your time to find out more!
That sounds like a normal level of interest rather than clinginess.
Original post by sinfonietta
That sounds like a normal level of interest rather than clinginess.

Man I almost sound like the guy here. Glad consensus seems to be it's normal behaviour

Quick Reply

Latest