PGCE MA or both? - Need advice Watch

EllieBubbles9001
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically I am going up for a Masters in one field, would it be a good idea to get PGCE afterwards so I can go into more than one career path? as my masters would be kind of specific and I am passionate about both that field and teaching but jobs are extremely limited in that field and I would like to ensure I can earn a steady income after graduating.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EllieBubbles9001)
Basically I am going up for a Masters in one field, would it be a good idea to get PGCE afterwards so I can go into more than one career path? as my masters would be kind of specific and I am passionate about both that field and teaching but jobs are extremely limited in that field and I would like to ensure I can earn a steady income after graduating.
PGCE. maybe avoid this because teaching as a career is pants!
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you have anything to back that up. I know plenty of teachers who are really happy. A PGCE is a good thing to have as a fallback as the OP said plus the placement gives you the opportunity to decide if its for you or not.

(Original post by mgi)
PGCE. maybe avoid this because teaching as a career is pants!
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nutz99)
Do you have anything to back that up. I know plenty of teachers who are really happy. A PGCE is a good thing to have as a fallback as the OP said plus the placement gives you the opportunity to decide if its for you or not.
I taught in secondsry schools then quit. Ask those teachers about work load, point scoring between teachers. leadership incompetence, stress. Poor behaviour of students, poor pay and political interference, bullying in the work place by some staff and even students, attitude of parents who have forgotten what their role is in bringing up their kids to have manners!I would also argue that teaching is no longer a profession! You will be aware that there is a well acknowledged curent recruitment crisis in teaching. No surprises there. I am glad to be out of it!
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EllieBubbles9001)
Doing a PGCE as a fallback seems a poor use of one's time. If you need the fallback the PGCE will always be there. Unless you're after scooping up some massive bursary your time would be much better following your ideal career path.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.67%
Impatient (207)
12.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise