Can I put more than just 'shop assistant' on my CV?

Watch
Random1318
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have been on a working gap year, working in a small but busy shop, and in the hope of finding part time employment when I return to uni this September I am wondering if I have any right to adapt my job title for my CV.

Really, I suppose I am just a shop assistant, but I do have extra duties. I mostly work alone. Often I will open up the shop in the morning, and manage the shop alone throughout the day, dealing with customers, recording and ordering stock, handling incoming phone calls etc, and then close up at night after cashing up, cleaning the store and then securing the premises.

I feel like I have more responsibility than when I was a part time shop assistant when I was in college, and so is it plausible to name by job role as 'duty manager' or something like that? I may be able to land a supervisor job or something if so.
Cazemma
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you need to put what ever your official title was because when it comes to future employers getting references if your role on cv doesnt match what your previous employer would say, you will look bad. you can how ever include all the additional duties you carried out on your cv
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Random1318)
I have been on a working gap year, working in a small but busy shop, and in the hope of finding part time employment when I return to uni this September I am wondering if I have any right to adapt my job title for my CV.

Really, I suppose I am just a shop assistant, but I do have extra duties. I mostly work alone. Often I will open up the shop in the morning, and manage the shop alone throughout the day, dealing with customers, recording and ordering stock, handling incoming phone calls etc, and then close up at night after cashing up, cleaning the store and then securing the premises.

I feel like I have more responsibility than when I was a part time shop assistant when I was in college, and so is it plausible to name by job role as 'duty manager' or something like that? I may be able to land a supervisor job or something if so.
As another poster said, contradicting what is likely to be written in a reference would be very problematic. You can explain your duties in your CV or in an application form. If you want your title to sound more impressive, you could always state it as 'Shop assistant (with key holder responsibilities)' to make it immediately apparent that your duties extended beyond those expected of a typical shop assistant. As long as you don't exaggerate too much or lie, you should be fine.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
As another poster said, contradicting what is likely to be written in a reference would be very problematic. You can explain your duties in your CV or in an application form. If you want your title to sound more impressive, you could always state it as 'Shop assistant (with key holder responsibilities)' to make it immediately apparent that your duties extended beyond those expected of a typical shop assistant. As long as you don't exaggerate too much or lie, you should be fine.
I agree
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't alter your job title but definitely do spell out what you were doing and what your major responsibilities were... if you're going for advertised jobs try to make sure you emphasise any experience and attributes that relate to the job description & person description..
Last edited by Joinedup; 1 year ago
Loosie goosie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol yeah I exaggerate the truth on my CV all the time.:smug:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads