The Student Room Group

I’ve hit a weight loss plateau

Beeeen trying to get past the weight I’m in rn but I can’t!!
Started going to the gym too to help
Original post by Anonymous
Beeeen trying to get past the weight I’m in rn but I can’t!!
Started going to the gym too to help

How many calories are you eating, and how long have you been losing weight?
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
How many calories are you eating, and how long have you been losing weight?

Tbh my appetite is not great atm. So i mostly I eat around 1200 (or lower) and sometimes I eat 2000cals (or more). Lol it’s been 6months and lost about 17lbs (not sure if that’s good) but I guess that’s why I’m in plateau?
Tbh my appetite is not great atm. So i mostly I eat around 1200 (or lower) and sometimes I eat 2000cals (or more). Lol it’s been 6months and lost about 17lbs (not sure if that’s good) but I guess that’s why I’m in plateau?

1200 or lower is too little. When people say they want to lose weight they mainly mean that they want to lose fat. If you are eating 1200 calories you are more likely to lose more muscle(alongside fat but you really want to limit muscle loss), and thats counter productive.

I cut weight last year at under 1500 calories and I felt really crap mentally, my apetite was also really bad at times. Its not good for you.

Why not try 1900 calories or 1800 calories each day and see how much you lose? Limit sugar and fast food to just social occasions/ the occasional snacks. I am 5'8 73kg and losing 0.5kg per week on 1910 calories

Lean meats like grilled chicken are low in calories but very high in protein.
Fruit and vegetables are low in calories high in nutrients, and make you feel fuller.
Reply 4
1200 or lower is too little. When people say they want to lose weight they mainly mean that they want to lose fat. If you are eating 1200 calories you are more likely to lose more muscle(alongside fat but you really want to limit muscle loss), and thats counter productive.

I cut weight last year at under 1500 calories and I felt really crap mentally, my apetite was also really bad at times. Its not good for you.

Why not try 1900 calories or 1800 calories each day and see how much you lose? Limit sugar and fast food to just social occasions/ the occasional snacks. I am 5'8 73kg and losing 0.5kg per week on 1910 calories

Lean meats like grilled chicken are low in calories but very high in protein.
Fruit and vegetables are low in calories high in nutrients, and make you feel fuller.

Thanks for the tip but will that much calories actually help me lose weight? Also, I’m addicted to sugars lol can I do something about that? (not a fan of fast food so hardly ever eat it)
Thanks for the tip but will that much calories actually help me lose weight? Also, I’m addicted to sugars lol can I do something about that? (not a fan of fast food so hardly ever eat it)

For most people yeah but it also depends on your weight/height and level of activity. Look up TDEE calculator online

You lose weight when you eat less calories than what you need to maintain. TDEE is the amount of calories you burn in a day. So for me I burn around 2300 a day and so I can lose about 0.5kg per week on 1950 calories. People who are more overweight can get away with losing 1kg a week.

Just cut down on how much sugar you are eating gradually. Maybe swap it out for fruits like blueberries? Theres also low calorie icecream which is amazing
Reply 6
how much do you weigh and how tall are you?
Reply 7

don't eat sugary food. get proper meals and don't snack it's that easy.
Reply 8
Original post by bj27
how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Sorry for the late reply. I’m 68kg and I’m 5’4 (I think)
Reply 9
Original post by bj27
don't eat sugary food. get proper meals and don't snack it's that easy.

It really isn’t that easy lol. I’m cutting out sugary food slowly tho
For most people yeah but it also depends on your weight/height and level of activity. Look up TDEE calculator online

You lose weight when you eat less calories than what you need to maintain. TDEE is the amount of calories you burn in a day. So for me I burn around 2300 a day and so I can lose about 0.5kg per week on 1950 calories. People who are more overweight can get away with losing 1kg a week.

Just cut down on how much sugar you are eating gradually. Maybe swap it out for fruits like blueberries? Theres also low calorie icecream which is amazing

My TDEE is 2000cals last time I checked. Should I be eating less than that? I’m trying and I’ve been eating a lot less sugary food than I used to
My TDEE is 2000cals last time I checked. Should I be eating less than that? I’m trying and I’ve been eating a lot less sugary food than I used to

You should eat 1900 per day for 1-2 weeks and see how much you lose. That will confirm if your tdee is indeed 2000

Don’t go lower than 1500 per day. Even 1500 is a stretch.
You should eat 1900 per day for 1-2 weeks and see how much you lose. That will confirm if your tdee is indeed 2000

Don’t go lower than 1500 per day. Even 1500 is a stretch.

Sounds quite a lot...but I’ll give it a try. Thanks so much xx

Quick Reply

Latest