The Student Room Group

Student finance residency proof

Hi all, I am currently in the process of applying for a maintenance loan and I have been asked to provide proof of my residency in the UK.

I've been living in the UK since July 2014 but I don't have much proof for it other than a confirmation letter from high school which I went to (it was not an original copy because they emailed it to me on request - I assume SF Team declined it because it was a photocopy) I don't think I have anything else I could send other than my GCSE's certifications.

Is there no way for the SF Residency Team to somehow check/contact the schools I attended if they don't believe me? This is really troublesome and stressful.
Original post by olafcioo
Hi all, I am currently in the process of applying for a maintenance loan and I have been asked to provide proof of my residency in the UK.

I've been living in the UK since July 2014 but I don't have much proof for it other than a confirmation letter from high school which I went to (it was not an original copy because they emailed it to me on request - I assume SF Team declined it because it was a photocopy) I don't think I have anything else I could send other than my GCSE's certifications.

Is there no way for the SF Residency Team to somehow check/contact the schools I attended if they don't believe me? This is really troublesome and stressful.

Hi,

No we wouldn't contact schools on your behalf to confirm residency, it's up to yourself to collate and send the evidence we require in order to award you the finance.

Residency evidence must be the original and cannot be photocopied. Are you able to ask your school to post the letter rather than email it to you to print? We do accept exam certificates as well.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Chanel
Hi,

No we wouldn't contact schools on your behalf to confirm residency, it's up to yourself to collate and send the evidence we require in order to award you the finance.

Residency evidence must be the original and cannot be photocopied. Are you able to ask your school to post the letter rather than email it to you to print? We do accept exam certificates as well.

Thanks, Chanel

Hi Chanel,

So I have Sep 2014 - Dec 2017 left to confirm, if I was to send my original certificates that were awarded to me after finishing year 11 (year 2017) would that cover all that time period?
Hi Chanel,

So I have Sep 2014 - Dec 2017 left to confirm, if I was to send my original certificates that were awarded to me after finishing year 11 (year 2017) would that cover all that time period?

If year 11 is 2017 then no, that's not going to prove you were in the UK from September 2014.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 4
If year 11 is 2017 then no, that's not going to prove you were in the UK from September 2014.

Thanks, Chanel

Worst case scenario - if I can't prove my residency since September 2014, what would happen? Would my application get rejected and I wouldn't get any loan for Uni?

I have contacted my previous school again, hope they get back to me asap.
Worst case scenario - if I can't prove my residency since September 2014, what would happen? Would my application get rejected and I wouldn't get any loan for Uni?

I have contacted my previous school again, hope they get back to me asap.

Yes you'd be made ineligible for your finance as you can't prove you resided in the UK.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 6
Yes you'd be made ineligible for your finance as you can't prove you resided in the UK.

Thanks, Chanel

Would I not be treated as a EU student? I can prove my residency from around 2015 onward from bank statements/child benefits, how is that not enough to get a loan?
Would I not be treated as a EU student? I can prove my residency from around 2015 onward from bank statements/child benefits, how is that not enough to get a loan?

EU nationals applying for home student funding need to prove they have resided in the UK for an entire 5 years prior to the start of the first academic year. Those are our rules and regulations set by the Department for Education when they lay the rules in parliament.

EU nationals can apply for fees only as an EU student if they can't prove their residency for home student funding.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 8
EU nationals applying for home student funding need to prove they have resided in the UK for an entire 5 years prior to the start of the first academic year. Those are our rules and regulations set by the Department for Education when they lay the rules in parliament.

EU nationals can apply for fees only as an EU student if they can't prove their residency for home student funding.

Thanks, Chanel

Dear Olaf,

Unfortunately we have now broke up for 6 weeks and no one is available at the school, I appreciate this is important to you and apologise on behalf of the school, but I don't have access to all the facilities that I need from home.The soonest I can send you one out would be 2nd or 3rd September.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Yours Faithfully

I just got a reply from School and they can send me the letter in September. What is the latest date I can provide the evidence needed? Not getting the loan would mean postponing Uni for me.
I just got a reply from School and they can send me the letter in September. What is the latest date I can provide the evidence needed? Not getting the loan would mean postponing Uni for me.

You can send us the evidence after then that's fine. It just means your application wouldn't be approved until after your course starts.

Thanks, Chanel
Reply 10
You can send us the evidence after then that's fine. It just means your application wouldn't be approved until after your course starts.

Thanks, Chanel

How long would be the waiting time until I'd get my payments received? Also would that affect my tuition loan?
How long would be the waiting time until I'd get my payments received? Also would that affect my tuition loan?

Your entire application won't be assessed until the evidence is received and acceptable. It can take 6-8 weeks.

Thanks, Chanel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending