thisisatrek
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I’ve got a place to study medicine next year in September. But I’m having second thoughts about whether I can handle the stress of it all, while I do enjoy the medical content I don’t know if I’d be able to handle doing placements and patient work as this might overwhelm me. I’m very prone to stress and this always leads to me having a depressive episode. So I guess my question is how stressful is being a medical student and is it the right career for me?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thisisatrek)
Hi
I’ve got a place to study medicine next year in September. But I’m having second thoughts about whether I can handle the stress of it all, while I do enjoy the medical content I don’t know if I’d be able to handle doing placements and patient work as this might overwhelm me. I’m very prone to stress and this always leads to me having a depressive episode. So I guess my question is how stressful is being a medical student and is it the right career for me?
I wouldn't say it's especially stressful. You don't really have any responsibility as a medical student. Placements are there for your learning, they're not a test.

Being a doctor has its stressful moments but you a) get used to it b) learn how to minimise it and c) can change specialties or career pathways.

You've clearly worked hard to get to this point, so you might as well start the course and see what you think. It's also worth mentioning that whether as a medical student or a junior doctor, you will have someone allocated to you in a supervisory or tutorial role, so you can talk to this person if you find things are becoming too stressful and they can help you.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I'd agree with the above. Whilst it may seem odd saying that making crucial medical decisions isn't stressful... you do actually get used to it. There will be some stressful circumstances for sure, but you always have someone to call. Even as the medical registrar 6 years after graduation - widely regarded as the most stressful position in the hospital - you can still call for help if you need it.

I'd suggest not letting this be a barrier if its what you truly want.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think medicine is any more stressful than any other academic degree. All carry stress of exams, deadlines etc. Medicine can be a little more tiring sometimes because you have dedicated placement hours and may have long commutes, but not more stressful

It sounds a bit like cold feet and last minute worries. If you have a place I would just go and see what you think, and if it's really not for you you can change course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads