Politics through an Apprenticeship? Watch

satsun
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So, I have never thought I would think about going this route. I’m not the all A* kind of student, but I do see myself as quite academic. I have just completed my GCSEs and did plan to go onto Sixth-Form to do: Maths, History and English.

Although, some really good opportunities have come up within the Civil Service, for apprentices to work at the heart and soul of Government. They have many, communications, finance, business. I have always wanted to work within this sector, but have always thought about getting into Politics myself in my later life, and running for office.

Would not having A-Levels nor a degree, disadvantage me from having a career in politics after leaving the Civil Service?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As you have noticed there are apprenticeships available in the civil service. This would enable you to get started on a career in local government (a local council) or central government (a government dept but not necessarily in London).

This is not the same as 'politics'.
Civil servants get to enact/do the work, they do not originate policy which is what elected politicians do.
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
As you have noticed there are apprenticeships available in the civil service. This would enable you to get started on a career in local government (a local council) or central government (a government dept but not necessarily in London).

This is not the same as 'politics'.
Civil servants get to enact/do the work, they do not originate policy which is what elected politicians do.
Yes, I do understand how the civil service works. This apprenticeship will be held out in London, and is working around central government, say the Treasury or Foreign Office.

I believe this experience would give me a wider insight as to how Government works with certain departments, and how it passes daily business. But it’s rare to see Politicians without degrees, except from Jeremy Corbyn, and some others.

I was just wondering if most current Politicians are all university educated, as there was no other routes, like there is today, or it’s seen as necessary.
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm thinking of applying to civil service fast track as my plan B
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by HumbleBee_x)
I'm thinking of applying to civil service fast track as my plan B
Have you completed A-Levels? What career do you want to progress into?
HumbleBee_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm going into my second year from September, so no.
I want to do an allied health degree (thats my original career plan)
(Original post by moftw)
Have you completed A-Levels? What career do you want to progress into?
satsun
Rep:
?
I'm going into my second year from September, so no.
I want to do an allied health degree (thats my original career plan)
So great! I’m actually just going into Sixth-Form, but wanted to keep my options open, and the opportunities they provide, even for school leavers, seem amazing.
HumbleBee_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
wow thats amazing your starting to be proactive so early! the summer before year 12, I was preparing by researching courses and uni's that I'm interested in, that way ur motivated the moment u walk into sixth-form. Also, if u know what u wanna do try get some voluntary work or Workshadowing done, it saves u from wasting time later. And defo keep ur options open, I knew I wanted to go into healthcare so I chose Bio, but I did politics and sociology just for backup and felt like I could get good grades in.
Hope that helps
(Original post by moftw)
So great! I’m actually just going into Sixth-Form, but wanted to keep my options open, and the opportunities they provide, even for school leavers, seem amazing.
satsun
Rep:
?
wow thats amazing your starting to be proactive so early! the summer before year 12, I was preparing by researching courses and uni's that I'm interested in, that way ur motivated the moment u walk into sixth-form. Also, if u know what u wanna do try get some voluntary work or Workshadowing done, it saves u from wasting time later. And defo keep ur options open, I knew I wanted to go into healthcare so I chose Bio, but I did politics and sociology just for backup and felt like I could get good grades in.
Hope that helps
Thank you! I actually meant alternatives to A-Levels, and when I tell people I’m not that keen about them, people seem to look down as if, I wouldn’t get far. But if I don’t go to Uni, I just don’t see the point of them, when I could be doing two years of Government work. I’m just a lil torn.
satsun
Rep:
?
bump!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There is no 'job description' for being a politician. Most MPs have started by being a researcher to another MP and have degree level skills, although others may have come up through trade unionism and other political activism.

This site has 'work for an MP' and other political/think-tank etc jobs - you wont be able to apply for them straight from school but you can see the sort of experience they require : http://www.w4mpjobs.org/SearchJobs.aspx?search=alljobs
There are also jobs available at the HoC or HoL : https://www.parliament.uk/about/working/jobs/
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
There is no 'job description' for being a politician. Most MPs have started by being a researcher to another MP and have degree level skills, although others may have come up through trade unionism and other political activism.

This site has 'work for an MP' and other political/think-tank etc jobs - you wont be able to apply for them straight from school but you can see the sort of experience they require : http://www.w4mpjobs.org/SearchJobs.aspx?search=alljobs
There are also jobs available at the HoC or HoL : https://www.parliament.uk/about/working/jobs/
Yeah, I’ve seen this website, thank you, but you’re right, all the descriptions seem very vague, so I do suppose a degree is not necessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%