too broke for a level results day

Watch
anonymoussse
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so like every other sixth form u can't get ur results if u havent returned books.

i have lost some in the school, and quite a few are damaged. (i know i have little siblings who damaged it...plus i chose the oldest books because i like older looking things over new ones....the covers were almost ripping)

altogether i have to pay the school back around £200

i'm starting my job in september so i won't get a paycheck until then, and i can't ask my parents because it's unfair.

what do i tell the teachers without sounding broke af?? T_T i'm literally too embarrassed about this sitch.
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
pls help
username2940194
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How badly damaged are the books? are they something you can mend? If you've lost some in school then maybe you need to ring nearer the time and talk to them.
If you can repair enough of them or make them look slightly more presentable, that'll save you some money. If not, can you buy cheaper replacements? Sell some old stuff you don't need anymore maybe to raise the money? like on depop or something.
username4863238
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
look in charity shops if they have the same books? if not then ordering second hand will be cheaper
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
am i allowed to do that?! :O i thought i had to pay the full price of the books rather than buying second hand ones
(Original post by eutrophication1)
look in charity shops if they have the same books? if not then ordering second hand will be cheaper
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
one of them has the top cover totally ripped off lol it's naked. other than that, only ONE is super damaged
(Original post by Skeletonclique21)
How badly damaged are the books? are they something you can mend? If you've lost some in school then maybe you need to ring nearer the time and talk to them.
If you can repair enough of them or make them look slightly more presentable, that'll save you some money. If not, can you buy cheaper replacements? Sell some old stuff you don't need anymore maybe to raise the money? like on depop or something.
username2940194
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maybe if you can reattach the cover? if not i agree with the other user, definitely by second hand and replace them, at the end of the day, the school just needs books to lend to students and if you pay you're paying for replacements. You can check with them though to be safe although i'm sure it'll be fine
(Original post by anonymoussse)
one of them has the top cover totally ripped off lol it's naked. other than that, only ONE is super damaged
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Schools and colleges are specifically banned from withholding results from candidates. The regulations https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/general-regulations say

5.12 The centre will:
b) distribute provisional statements of results to all candidates without delay and regardless of any disputes (such as non-payment of fees).
(Centres are not permitted to withhold provisional results from candidates under any circumstances. Under the terms of the General Data Protection
Regulation centres that receive a Subject Access Request are compelled to release results to candidates within timescales prescribed by the General Data Protection Regulation

So turn up, quote the regulations and collect your results.
anonymoussse
Rep:
?
so bad ass lol thanks
(Original post by Compost)
Schools and colleges are specifically banned from withholding results from candidates. The regulations https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/general-regulations say

5.12 The centre will:
b) distribute provisional statements of results to all candidates without delay and regardless of any disputes (such as non-payment of fees).
(Centres are not permitted to withhold provisional results from candidates under any circumstances. Under the terms of the General Data Protection
Regulation centres that receive a Subject Access Request are compelled to release results to candidates within timescales prescribed by the General Data Protection Regulation

So turn up, quote the regulations and collect your results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (80)
26.85%
No - I have already returned home (36)
12.08%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
20.13%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.4%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.54%

Watched Threads