SamGadsdon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Good Afternoon,

I am a prospective undergraduate student who has accepted an offer to study Business Management as of next year.

However, I am having second thoughts and contemplating taking a gap year and going in through 2020 admissions to study law- likely at Lancaster, Exeter, Bath or Edinburgh.

I wanted to see what current law students think of the degree and find out how you guys got into it.

If you could answer some or all of the following questions, I feel like it might help me to decide what degree I should study. Thank you

1) What is your degree and what university are you at?

2) What A-Levels (or equivalent) did you study> What were your results?

3) Why did you choose to do law, especially if you did not study it at A-Level and what do you think of your degree?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are law places at some of those unis listed in Clearing this year.
king axolotl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bath doesn’t offer law courses and Edinburgh doesn’t offer English law (to the best of my knowledge). Sorry to nitpick lol but hopefully means you can open up the possibility of even more unis!!
(Original post by SamGadsdon)
Good Afternoon,

I am a prospective undergraduate student who has accepted an offer to study Business Management as of next year.

However, I am having second thoughts and contemplating taking a gap year and going in through 2020 admissions to study law- likely at Lancaster, Exeter, Bath or Edinburgh.

I wanted to see what current law students think of the degree and find out how you guys got into it.

If you could answer some or all of the following questions, I feel like it might help me to decide what degree I should study. Thank you

3) Why did you choose to do law, especially if you did not study it at A-Level and what do you think of your degree?
Last edited by king axolotl; 2 years ago
Hello34
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got into Lancaster through Adjustments, but there was spaces available through clearing at the time.

It's a good uni but I personally hate my time there because the area is so secluded that nothing ever happens there unless its planned by societies.

Also, academically speaking, you do pretty much no exam prep (i mean doing past papers or in seminars going through how to properly answer exam questions) but then have to do exams
(Original post by SamGadsdon)
Good Afternoon,

GourmetBurger
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I studied at Lincoln. I didn't do A-levels and was lucky enough to be given a chance to prove myself there after meeting with staff. I loved it but it got stressful AF! Lincoln is overall an amazing city to be at, it isn't huge and the university is riding up in the ranks and getting better. You may not need to take a gap year if you contact the university of your choice and ask for a quick transfer if possible for this september.

Lincoln was great for exam prep as they offered past papers and organised specific seminars for going over these questions, which prepares you quite a bit for what they expect of you! I came out with a 2:1 after being behind for so long as I hadn't done A-levels and was therefore behind on assiggment writing skills and exams.

I chose law because it interests me, it governs everything we do in life from buying a costa coffee to driving a car or buying a house! The range of what you can study is brilliant and even if 1 area doesn't interest you, it might be a gateway for a subject that does. Additionally, you don't need to be super into a subject to do well at it. I wasn't crazy interested in Equity and Trusts but got a First in my exam! It all depends what you enjoy.

You're the only one who can make a decision on whether you want to study it and whether you want to take a gap year. However on that note, I got no financial help from my parents so a gap-year of working in retail and saving everything I could so I didn't have to work whilst at university to sustain myself was probably one of the best decisions I have made.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.63%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.86%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
18.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.06%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (66)
26.51%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.88%

Watched Threads