The Student Room Group

What uni will take CDD a levels in clearing

I was predicted abb for a levels. I firmed abb Nottingham, insured abb Southampton (bad decision). I got these predictions from my teachers because I did well in all my mock tests and sat all of those mock tests with extra time. Unfortunately I got screwed over in the real tests and I was not eligible for extra time, so this combined with the added panic of me needing to write & think quickly It resulted in me leaving a BIG chunk of marks unanswered in EVERY test I sat. So basically I feel like I flopped badly. If I had to make a prediction for worse case scenario I think I will get a CDD. I have no interest in retaking another year.

So I am asking politely if anyone knows the best universities that will take on CDD a levels (C in business studies) to study Business Management bsc in clearing. Do universities often lower entry requirements in clearing? I don’t want to take a foundation year either.

Will the University of Essex or Portsmouth be likely to take me? I know a friend who got into Essex with CCD although he may have firmed it rather than join via clearing. but is CDD pushing it? Any info will be appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
I have applied for business management as well . Quite a few unis will accept you such as Sheffield Hallam , Nottingham Trent , Uni of Derby& possibly Northampton and the one in Newcastle that's not Newcastle uni ( forgot the name sorry ). I think it will just be research . If it helps my plan is to
. Use my previous L3 results ( don't know if you have 1st year results ) and see where I can go with this
. Look at college some do degrees and HE courses often with around 32-72 points . You would still be entitled to loans etc through this route .
. I know personally you said you didn't want to do a foundation yr however , you could treat it as a gap year as your capable so work will be easier and less pressure but still have protection of education .

Try not to worry too much my plan is to see what available with what worse case for me would be looking to see if anywhere will accept foundation year.
I suspect there will be many universities that will take you in clearing with those grades. Not certain about Essex but they might. Probably Portsmouth will. I suspect Swansea will if you are interested.
Original post by welard78
I was predicted abb for a levels. I firmed abb Nottingham, insured abb Southampton (bad decision). I got these predictions from my teachers because I did well in all my mock tests and sat all of those mock tests with extra time. Unfortunately I got screwed over in the real tests and I was not eligible for extra time, so this combined with the added panic of me needing to write & think quickly It resulted in me leaving a BIG chunk of marks unanswered in EVERY test I sat. So basically I feel like I flopped badly. If I had to make a prediction for worse case scenario I think I will get a CDD. I have no interest in retaking another year.

So I am asking politely if anyone knows the best universities that will take on CDD a levels (C in business studies) to study Business Management bsc in clearing. Do universities often lower entry requirements in clearing? I don’t want to take a foundation year either.

Will the University of Essex or Portsmouth be likely to take me? I know a friend who got into Essex with CCD although he may have firmed it rather than join via clearing. but is CDD pushing it? Any info will be appreciated
Anyone know if Queen Mary would?
Original post by Alayna1234

Doubt any RG would honestly, but there will be places available to you so don't worry. :smile:
No harm I'm trying right ? You have nothing to lose
Original post by Alayna1234
It's good to have a plan C up your sleeve in case things haven't gone as well as expected come Results Day. My suspicion is that there could well be places available in top 50 universities with the grades you describe. This would certainly be the case - as others have suggested - if you are happy to do a foundation year.

By the way, if you had extra time in internal assessments, why were you unable to have 25% more during the actual A-levels? Did you get extra time for GCSEs? Thinking ahead, it may be good for you to have an educational psychology assessment to see if you need access arrangements for university exams.
Reply 7
Best joining the workforce, if your grades are that bad
On a similar note, I got CCD at A Level (Maths, Chemistry, Physics - due to some poor exams) and also had a BTEC AS Level (ICT - dropped at end of 1st year) and I managed to get to De Montfort University (Electronic Engineering) through Clearing with no foundation years etc.
So it is definitely possible to get into university even if you don't get the grades you really wanted.
Reply 9
Yes I received Extra Time for my GCSEs. I was deemed eligible for extra time because I sat a test that measured my speed back in year 9 and they gave me extra time. In 6th form however, because they are poor when it comes to organisation I was never given one of these tests to deem my eligibility for extra time therefore the exam board could not grant it. It really sucks that I was born this slow but there’s not much I can do about it. When I go uni I will look into taking one of those assessments. I really do just hope Uni of Essex take me. They normally offer CCC if you firm so perhaps CDD May be possible for them to take me in. If anything Nottingham Trent and Swansea also sound like good alternatives during clearing. I will not take a foundation year nor retake because I’ve already taken a gap year. Thank u for the help
Original post by 学生の父
It's good to have a plan C up your sleeve in case things haven't gone as well as expected come Results Day. My suspicion is that there could well be places available in top 50 universities with the grades you describe. This would certainly be the case - as others have suggested - if you are happy to do a foundation year.

By the way, if you had extra time in internal assessments, why were you unable to have 25% more during the actual A-levels? Did you get extra time for GCSEs? Thinking ahead, it may be good for you to have an educational psychology assessment to see if you need access arrangements for university exams.

I
you could take a year off and go over all your a level content during the year and resit the exams ? if u did well in ur mocks then it might have just been a mess up in the real exams, if u take a gap year you could resit all ur a levels since u already learnt all the content just go over it and revise throughout the year and you could get a muchj better grade
other than that im not sure which unis will take you but i believe others have answered
Original post by welard78
I really do just hope Uni of Essex take me. They normally offer CCC if you firm so perhaps CDD May be possible for them to take me in. If anything Nottingham Trent and Swansea also sound like good alternatives during clearing. I will not take a foundation year nor retake because I’ve already taken a gap year. Thank u for the help

If Essex normally offer CCC it is likely they would go down to CDD in Clearing, no guarantees though. The main thing in Clearing is to be flexible about where you will go, and also to be quick at making phone calls and securing your place as soon as you have your results. What you can do now is to draw up a short list of unis that appeal to you (which you have already started to do) so that you have a good plan of action on results day. Also, you can fill in forms at unis like Essex to show that you are interested, and they will keep you updated on the course you are interested in and let you know as soon as they release Clearing information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending