Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
weather gets hot and we turn on all the fans, air conditioning, wasting electricity etc. everyone seems to be having a good time and don't seem to give a f*** about the consequences. can't wait to see the UK hit 42 degrees celsius like France.
nabilahhh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ll die for sure
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it gets that hot I’m moving to Iceland
Anonymous #1
that 'ice' will be gone before you know it
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No it would. It can’t. It’s been freezing for years
Loosie goosie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I actually love the sun.:shades:
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Loosie goosie)
I actually love the sun.:shades:
Coz your hot
Loosie goosie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Coz your hot
Nah. I just like the sun.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
weather gets hot and we turn on all the fans, air conditioning, wasting electricity etc. everyone seems to be having a good time and don't seem to give a f*** about the consequences. can't wait to see the UK hit 42 degrees celsius like France.
Electricity usage isn't our problem. Carbon emissions are- there's a difference.

If the weather is uncomfortable, we have every right to use as much electricity as we want to make it comfortable. Modern life hey ho.

Someone with solar panels on their house could leave their A/C running all day and the environment would be none the worse for it.

Reducing energy consumption isn't the way forward- why take a step backwards when it's unnecessary? The sole course of action should be getting rid of fossil fuels and entirely replacing them with renewable, nuclear, and any other carbon neutral sources.

To reiterate. Using excessive power is not inherently a problem. The way we produce it is, and it is the production we should be fixing (not our usage habits)
Anonymous #1
No it would. It can’t. It’s been freezing for years
worst case scenario it'll probably be reduced by SO MUCH
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
Electricity usage isn't our problem. Carbon emissions are- there's a difference.

If the weather is uncomfortable, we have every right to use as much electricity as we want to make it comfortable. Modern life hey ho.

Someone with solar panels on their house could leave their A/C running all day and the environment would be none the worse for it.

Reducing energy consumption isn't the way forward- why take a step backwards when it's unnecessary? The sole course of action should be getting rid of fossil fuels and entirely replacing them with renewable, nuclear, and any other carbon neutral sources.

To reiterate. Using excessive power is not inherently a problem. The way we produce it is, and it is the production we should be fixing (not our usage habits)
I know everyone has the right to use power and stuff but most people don't realize where that power is coming from. A lot of it is still being produced using fossil fuels and people are still using it like crazy. (Fair enough if you have solar panels or wind turbines.)
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Usually most of it does go in the summer yes but it’ll be back by winter
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
yep, the prob isnt electricity because ofc thats why theyre getting everyone to replace their fossil fuel-run cars with electricty. renewable energy is sustainable for the enviornment so its fine but stuff like coal isnt. its sort of scary how in late c.20th they predicted it would get hotter by this much if we didnt do anything to combat it, and they were right. and how it used to snow here a lot but now it barely ever does. things obviously got more real but its sad how people dont wanna prevent it until it actually happens
id rather not spend my decembers and januaries at 39°C when im 60, lol
Anonymous #1
the climate is not even the main problem here. we are destroying the environment left right and centre with our lifestyle, dumping s*** in the ocean and cutting down forests. plus you get judged by people for being 'extra' - recycling, using less cars (fossil fuels), eating less meat etc. from my experience I have been called 'weird' for choosing the environment over convenience. I don't even know what to do anymore.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know everyone has the right to use power and stuff but most people don't realize where that power is coming from. A lot of it is still being produced using fossil fuels and people are still using it like crazy. (Fair enough if you have solar panels or wind turbines.)
Words cannot describe how I feel towards fossil fuels. As someone studying physics with a particular interest in power, I can safely say that fossil fuels are horrible on just about every level.

Their original advantage was that they were cheap, readily available, and easy to use. That's not even the case any more really. Even if you forget about carbon and climate change, they're ridiculously inefficient and are very, very limited in supply now. It is unwise for society to rely on a source that could very well just run out within decades.

Renewable energy should, in my opinion, be one of the top priorities in government spending. Again forgetting about the climate for a while- the mere label "renewable" shows why they're so good. They do not run out, QED. Efficiency isn't amazing, but it could be worse.

Also I'm sure many uneducated people will mornge at me for this, but nuclear ftw. Yes, there's radioactive waste- this does not have as big an impact on the environment as you may think, if dealt with properly it is completely safe to store. And yes, there have been disasters in the past- due to humans being incompetent, not due to any inherent technical danger of nuclear power stations. The main advantage is it is a very high capacity, reliable source perfect for providing the base load for large sections of the country, whilst being carbon neutral. Also if you do some research on new breeder reactor designs, you will see that the supply of nuclear fuels is not running out any time soon. Indeed, humans will probably be gone by the time fissile materials run out at our current usage (assuming all the new generation techniques are implemented soon).

And last but not least, fusion! This gets me excited. Argue all you want that it's a pipe dream, but have a look at ITER. They're likely to succeed(ish). It may not be any time soon, but sometime in the future fusion will definitely produce net positive yield. Much higher fuel density than nuclear fission reactors, and just as reliable at providing a base load. The main positive- it's more "renewable" than renewables themselves. At our current usage rate, there is enough of the fuels (two isotopes of hydrogen) on earth to outlast the Sun (by extension, wind and solar). Oh, and the only waste product is helium. The same isotope used in balloons. This is only theoretical as of now unfortunately- reactors have been constructed but haven't yet produced more energy than they consumed, but ITER is making one that just might succeed.

Apologies for this pretty off topic summary of power generation. As soon as I started talking about fossil fuels I couldn't help myself lol
Loosie goosie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And I am guessing you're not human as well then?
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He’s got a point tbf, Humans are pretty shite
(Original post by Loosie goosie)
And I am guessing you're not human as well then?
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the climate is not even the main problem here. we are destroying the environment left right and centre with our lifestyle, dumping s*** in the ocean and cutting down forests. plus you get judged by people for being 'extra' - recycling, using less cars (fossil fuels), eating less meat etc. from my experience I have been called 'weird' for choosing the environment over convenience. I don't even know what to do anymore.
Don't choose the environment over convenience. Choose both.

Why drive less- because of fossil fuels? In that case get an electric vehicle and charge it with solar panels- problem solved. Continue to drive as much as you did before, whilst enjoying the extra money saved from fuel costs.

And, unless you have a moral or dietary reason to be vegan, there's no need to eat less meat. The impact of meat production on the environment is pretty small in the grand scheme of things, there's no need to feel bad about it. I am sure that idea came from vegan activists who vastly exaggerated a problem with meat in order to support their opinion.

Recycling is a different matter though. Recycling poses no inconvenience- it is certainly something that everyone should do to the best of their ability. Anyone who judges you for that could probably do with being "recycled" themselves
Loosie goosie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And that includes you.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not that I disagree with you, but I'm curious to hear your reasons
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.63%
I'm not sure (54)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (342)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (35)
3.01%
I'm not a current university student (561)
48.28%

Watched Threads