The Student Room Group

Should I study MSc Dietetics at Sheffield Hallam?

Hello! I have got the conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam. Does a large proportion of the student successfully graduate? Does anyone know about the drop out or anything about the placement? Thanks!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dau928
Hello! I have got the conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam. Does a large proportion of the student successfully graduate? Does anyone know about the drop out or anything about the placement? Thanks!!!

You should be asking yourself ‘Do I want to study X at Y?’

Nobody else can answer but you
Original post by dau928

Hi @dau928

Congrats on your offer! I have contacted the course leader about your questions and I'll let you know what they come back with. :borat:

Thanks
Helen
Original post by dau928

Hi @dau928

This is the response from the course leader:

This is a new two year MSc Dietetics pre-registration course which started in January 2019 (7 months in). The first students will be due to graduate in January 2021. The course is approved by the HCPC and accredited by the British Dietetic Association. There are 4 placements (3 in the NHS and one in an Extended scope setting). Three placements are part-time and take place alongside your studies and one placement is full-time. More information is available on the website: https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/health-and-social-care-management/msc-dietetics-preregistration/full-time/2019

Thanks
Helen
Reply 4
how did the interview process go? i just submitted my application. Also how did the student finance application go? it is saying to me that sheffield hallam has said to SFE that the tuition fee loan is £9250 but on the university website it says £21000 so £10050? Cheers.
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @dau928

Congrats on your offer! I have contacted the course leader about your questions and I'll let you know what they come back with. :borat:

Thanks
Helen

Does anyone know if the Jan 2020 intake is full? I have my interview soon but I know other uni's have interviewed for 2021 intakes from those who have applied for 2020. Is the interview process just an individual interview or is there a group aspect? Finally, is there any possibility of doing the interview over Skype as I am from Ireland? Any info would be great!! :smile:
Original post by a1manio
how did the interview process go? i just submitted my application. Also how did the student finance application go? it is saying to me that sheffield hallam has said to SFE that the tuition fee loan is £9250 but on the university website it says £21000 so £10050? Cheers.

Hi @a1manio

So for Msc Dietetics (pre-registration) course: the tuition fee for UK/EU students starting full-time study in 2019/20 is £21,000 for the course which includes a placement supplement.

I recommend speaking to @Jen SFE to get clear on the loan amount.

Let me know how you get on and if you have anymore questions,

Thanks,
Bridget
Original post by EmilyMul24
Does anyone know if the Jan 2020 intake is full? I have my interview soon but I know other uni's have interviewed for 2021 intakes from those who have applied for 2020. Is the interview process just an individual interview or is there a group aspect? Finally, is there any possibility of doing the interview over Skype as I am from Ireland? Any info would be great!! :smile:

Hi @EmilyMul24

The course leader came back to me about this:

"We still have places for 2020 entry and we have 2 more selection events in September and November. The selection event comprises of a 1:1 interview and 2 group tasks. We can offer Skype interviews if needed and would be happy to accommodate this candidate in view of living in Ireland."

I can DM you with the course leaders contact details if you like?

Thanks,
Bridget
Thank you so much for this! If you could DM their details that would be great!
Thank you so much for this! If you could DM their details that would be great!
Hi @EmilyMul24

The course leader came back to me about this:

"We still have places for 2020 entry and we have 2 more selection events in September and November. The selection event comprises of a 1:1 interview and 2 group tasks. We can offer Skype interviews if needed and would be happy to accommodate this candidate in view of living in Ireland."

I can DM you with the course leaders contact details if you like?

Thanks,
Bridget
Hi,

I have applied to the course for January 2020, does anyone know the possible placement locations for the course? I live in Derby and have the commitments of a house and a child so I am a slightly concerned about the travel that could be involved with the course. Also does anyone know the start date in January?

Thanks x
Original post by Kat_1991
Hi,

I have applied to the course for January 2020, does anyone know the possible placement locations for the course? I live in Derby and have the commitments of a house and a child so I am a slightly concerned about the travel that could be involved with the course. Also does anyone know the start date in January?

Thanks x

Hi @Kat_1991

I'll find this out for you,

Thanks
Bridget
Hi @Kat_1991

I'll find this out for you,

Thanks
Bridget

Thanks.
Hi,

Thanks x

Hi @Kat_1991

The course leader came back to me:

The start date for the January 2020 course is Monday 13th January.

The placements are no more than 1 hours travel from Sheffield. Our current clinical placement providers are in Sheffield, Doncaster, Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Derby. We try to ensure that students are offered their 1st choice for at least one of the 3 (A, B1 and C) clinical placements. The B2 placement which is scheduled in year 2 is for 7 weeks and this is based in Sheffield and the surrounding area. 3 out of the 4 placements are part-time, either 3 or 4 days a week, which we hope makes life easier for people with other commitments.

Let me know if you want to speak to the course leader directly - she is happy to answer any other queries.

Thanks,
Bridget
Hi @Kat_1991

The course leader came back to me:

The start date for the January 2020 course is Monday 13th January.

The placements are no more than 1 hours travel from Sheffield. Our current clinical placement providers are in Sheffield, Doncaster, Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Derby. We try to ensure that students are offered their 1st choice for at least one of the 3 (A, B1 and C) clinical placements. The B2 placement which is scheduled in year 2 is for 7 weeks and this is based in Sheffield and the surrounding area. 3 out of the 4 placements are part-time, either 3 or 4 days a week, which we hope makes life easier for people with other commitments.

Let me know if you want to speak to the course leader directly - she is happy to answer any other queries.

Thanks,
Bridget

Thanks for finding this information out for me. It has made the course much more feasible. I will let you know if I have any further questions. Thank you
Thanks for finding this information out for me. It has made the course much more feasible. I will let you know if I have any further questions. Thank you

No problem!
Reply 16
Hi, are there many places o Dietetics masters course? I have received an offer for a place and am weighting up accepting as I would be coming from Ireland. Are people on the course set up up with accommadation together?
Original post by Irfrm
Hi, are there many places o Dietetics masters course? I have received an offer for a place and am weighting up accepting as I would be coming from Ireland. Are people on the course set up up with accommadation together?

Hey, not sure if you’ve found this information out yet, but there are only 20 places on the course which are now full due to offers being sent out... Everyone who still had interviews left were told that they were now being interviewed for 2021 rather than 2020... I’ve accepted my offer and I am from Sheffield originally, but I have found myself accommodation in the city centre until the end June which I found myself, then I’d be looking for somewhere else to live as well. The uni may help with finding accommodation, or there are various student rent companies that may be able to help with finding accommodation. There is also a Sheffield student accommodation Facebook page where people advertise any spare rooms they have available in their houses, and there are rooms and apartments on the sites openrent, SpareRoom and rightmove as well.
Original post by Irfrm

Hi @Irfrm,

Have you been offered a place on the course starting in 2020? All first year students will be assisted with finding a place in our private Unite Student halls and this would be with students from all courses. You can find more details about this on our accommodation page :smile:

Let me know if you have anymore questions about the course, studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield!

Thanks,
Ella
Reply 19
Do you know if theres any places left on this course starting in January 2021? Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending