Doing a Level 4 Project Management Apprenticeship - Will a lack of degree be an issue Watch

Perihelios
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I recently started a level 4 Project Management apprenticeship (the employer is a local authority). This is the apprenticeship framework: https://www.instituteforapprenticesh...oject-manager/

I will get a L4 Associate Project Management Qualification as well as APM Accreditation.

I'm really happy with the programme so far but one thing is worrying me. I don't have a degree, and I'm not sure if long term that will hold me back in the long run?

I have had a look at some job listings for project managers, and although many do not specify a degree is required, many of them specify "Ideally you will be educated to degree level" etc.

This has me worried that a degree is "standard" for this kind of role, and I will be at a disadvantage in a papersift for not having one? Does anyone know if this is the case?
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To my understanding, a degree will only matter in the short term. For example, if a company is hiring a project manager with little - no experience, they will ask for a degree so they know that the project manager will be competent at what they are doing. But if they are hiring someone with 5+ years of experience, they won't care if you have a degree or not (in my opinion) due to the fact that you can prove your competencies through work experience. cAs an alternative to a degree, you can also try to become a charted project manager to prove you are competent. Obviously a degree would be beneficial though, but not mandatory. You could also try doing a part-time or online degree after your apprenticeship if you get a full time role.

To summarise, it is beneficial to have a degree as some companies only hire those with degrees but it is not mandatory and you can still have a successful career without one.

What I recommend you do is look for any level 6 apprenticeships and if you can't find any, stick with this one.
(Original post by Perihelios)
Hi, I recently started a level 4 Project Management apprenticeship (the employer is a local authority). This is the apprenticeship framework: https://www.instituteforapprenticesh...oject-manager/

I will get a L4 Associate Project Management Qualification as well as APM Accreditation.

I'm really happy with the programme so far but one thing is worrying me. I don't have a degree, and I'm not sure if long term that will hold me back in the long run?

I have had a look at some job listings for project managers, and although many do not specify a degree is required, many of them specify "Ideally you will be educated to degree level" etc.

This has me worried that a degree is "standard" for this kind of role, and I will be at a disadvantage in a papersift for not having one? Does anyone know if this is the case?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%