Doing a Level 4 Project Management Apprenticeship - Will a lack of degree be an issue

Watch
Perihelios
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I recently started a level 4 Project Management apprenticeship (the employer is a local authority). This is the apprenticeship framework: https://www.instituteforapprenticesh...oject-manager/

I will get a L4 Associate Project Management Qualification as well as APM Accreditation.

I'm really happy with the programme so far but one thing is worrying me. I don't have a degree, and I'm not sure if long term that will hold me back in the long run?

I have had a look at some job listings for project managers, and although many do not specify a degree is required, many of them specify "Ideally you will be educated to degree level" etc.

This has me worried that a degree is "standard" for this kind of role, and I will be at a disadvantage in a papersift for not having one? Does anyone know if this is the case?
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To my understanding, a degree will only matter in the short term. For example, if a company is hiring a project manager with little - no experience, they will ask for a degree so they know that the project manager will be competent at what they are doing. But if they are hiring someone with 5+ years of experience, they won't care if you have a degree or not (in my opinion) due to the fact that you can prove your competencies through work experience. cAs an alternative to a degree, you can also try to become a charted project manager to prove you are competent. Obviously a degree would be beneficial though, but not mandatory. You could also try doing a part-time or online degree after your apprenticeship if you get a full time role.

To summarise, it is beneficial to have a degree as some companies only hire those with degrees but it is not mandatory and you can still have a successful career without one.

What I recommend you do is look for any level 6 apprenticeships and if you can't find any, stick with this one.
(Original post by Perihelios)
Hi, I recently started a level 4 Project Management apprenticeship (the employer is a local authority). This is the apprenticeship framework: https://www.instituteforapprenticesh...oject-manager/

I will get a L4 Associate Project Management Qualification as well as APM Accreditation.

I'm really happy with the programme so far but one thing is worrying me. I don't have a degree, and I'm not sure if long term that will hold me back in the long run?

I have had a look at some job listings for project managers, and although many do not specify a degree is required, many of them specify "Ideally you will be educated to degree level" etc.

This has me worried that a degree is "standard" for this kind of role, and I will be at a disadvantage in a papersift for not having one? Does anyone know if this is the case?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.33%
I'm not sure (59)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (370)
29.3%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.93%
I'm not a current university student (616)
48.77%

Watched Threads