Should I pick chemistry or physics a level? Watch

_Sora._
Badges: 4
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m dead set on taking maths and further maths as that’s what I want to do in uni, but I can’t decide between physics or chemistry for my third a level. I’m starting sixth form in a month so I need to decide quickly!

I know physics is maths based but I never know exactly when to apply which equation and some topics ( like magnetism and forces) were just hard to wrap my head around . I love chemistry on the other hand but organic chemistry seems quite puzzling from GCSE’s as well. I am/ was a triple science strident so I’d like to hear from other triple science students as difficulty is subjective. Which a level is harder ? Which should I take ? What were your results in these subjects?

Ps. I was thinking of taking all four and then dropping one in the first few weeks to test out both of them, but idk if that’s too much of a hassle

Thanks !
Galeriapaints
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by _Sora._)
I’m dead set on taking maths and further maths as that’s what I want to do in uni, but I can’t decide between physics or chemistry for my third a level. I’m starting sixth form in a month so I need to decide quickly!

I know physics is maths based but I never know exactly when to apply which equation and some topics ( like magnetism and forces) were just hard to wrap my head around . I love chemistry on the other hand but organic chemistry seems quite puzzling from GCSE’s as well. I am/ was a triple science strident so I’d like to hear from other triple science students as difficulty is subjective. Which a level is harder ? Which should I take ? What were your results in these subjects?

Ps. I was thinking of taking all four and then dropping one in the first few weeks to test out both of them, but idk if that’s too much of a hassle

Thanks !
So , You need to make up your mind about what you are going to study at University.

If you are going to study Mathematics at University : You will need Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science skills.

as nowadays, mathematics is done using a computer.

If you are going to study Economics at University: Look at the entry requirements on the University website.
If you are going to study a Physics, Biology or Chemistry -related subject: Then you need the corresponding A -levels + Mathematics.

Check out the requirements you need to get into University and look at the requirements to get in that particular program you want to study.
Last edited by Galeriapaints; 6 months ago
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What are you thoughts about what you think you'll be wanting to do at uni?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’d say physics, you might want to deviate to engineering based courses later on, and this will allow you to do so. Chemistry is better taken with biology.
_Sora._
Badges: 4
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Pigster)
What are you thoughts about what you think you'll be wanting to do at uni?
I want to do a maths degree, and maybe a masters in economics
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Galeriapaints)
If you are going to study maths. You also need to study 3 other Sciences: Chemistry, Physics and Biology..
This is nonsense. There is no point in studying all three sciences for any subject, as any degree directly relevant to the sciences at A-level only really benefits from any two of the sciences and only is tangentially related to the third if at all. Biology provides a physicist nothing; physics is largely useless to a biologist (and what little there is will never be assumed and is usually fairly easy to learn); both are relevant to chemistry in different ways but realistically an applicant is probably angling more at the biosciences angle (and thus should take biology) or chemistry itself (and should take physics, as it's the more relevant option to the theoretical aspects of chemistry). For subjects like earth/environmental sciences where all three are involved, none of the A-level content is usually specifically assumed and they'll just expect you to have a general scientific background and then will teach all the relevant content in the course.

I’m dead set on taking maths and further maths as that’s what I want to do in uni, but I can’t decide between physics or chemistry for my third a level. I’m starting sixth form in a month so I need to decide quickly! !
Taking both might not be a bad idea if you are good and enjoy them, and taking chem/phys/double maths isn't an uncommon combination since they all complement each other quite well. That said if you aren't interested in pursuing a science or engineering course, unless you particularly enjoy them it's not really worth taking any one of them. For maths, any third subject is fine although physics can be more useful than most as typically maths degrees have some mandatory mechanics content in the applied maths courses. Likewise for economics it really doesn't matter at all what you take.

If you're considering economics as a degree but are unsure, it might be sensible to take A-level Economics as your third subject, to get a "taste" for it now and see if you would want to pursue it to degree level; you'll still be perfectly qualified to go down the maths (or CS) route in that case with double maths. You would also still be able to pursue science/engineering courses as these are widely available with a foundation year for those who haven't taken the relevant sciences, and since often a critical point for tutors on these courses is the mathematical background/aptitude of students (and hence applicants), you having already taken maths and FM I imagine would put you in good stead for that.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 6 months ago
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Since you're planning on doing maths, then physics would probably sneak it, although chem would also look good on an application.

Just make sure that you take both maths and FM in your Y13 year - a number of unis will not accept maths taken in Y12 to count towards your UCAS points and therefore you will have to ace your FM.

The best thing to do would be to do your PS thought, take both phys and chem and see which teachers/course you get the best feeling from. Or just do all four, many people do.
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Galeriapaints)
If you are going to study maths. You also need to study 3 other Sciences: Chemistry, Physics and Biology.

These four subjects go together so that your future options are not so narrow. Not everyone is told this, hence online web forums.

The curriculum is already limited because many people are learning to the test. This often doesn't work when you have to look at things outside of the curriculum.

You will honestly need more than 1 area to look at. Maths and further maths is more or less 1 area >> maths.

Check out the requirements you need to get into University (more specifically) go the university website where you want to apply next and look at the requirements to get in that particular program you want to study.

Mathematics usually requires math on a computer, so your computer science skills will need to be good too.
I've seen many students take the maths, further maths and physics combination. It's nothing that bad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)