Will Universities accept level 2 functional skills in place of GCSE English?

Watch
kaceyv
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I left school in 2014 with grade C in GCSE maths, have since taken functional skills L2 in English and will be beginning an access to HE course in Humanities and Social Sciences this year.

So far I hope to apply to do English language and linguistics (or something similar) at Uo Birmingham, Uo Manchester, Uo Plymouth or Uo Brighton. Would they accept the functional skills in English? Can anyone suggest some unis that definitely do accept it?

I do have the option to resit the english GCSE, the only reason I am hesitant to do so is that I'm having to reduce my work hours and to take 1 more day at college each week will make that a lot more difficult/ cut my income further.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Unis may accept functional skills in place of a GCSE- to confirm whether they will or not, you are best to check their websites and if these are unclear, to contact the unis in question for clarification.

I would suggest getting your GCSE English now if you can- it will definitely help you secure graduate employment in the future.
plainjayne1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Even if the uni doesn't need a gcse in English, how useful is it in terms of employability post grad?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Unis may accept functional skills in place of a GCSE- to confirm whether they will or not, you are best to check their websites and if these are unclear, to contact the unis in question for clarification.

I would suggest getting your GCSE English now if you can- it will definitely help you secure graduate employment in the future.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Functional skills is very basic and its always better to have a full GCSE - as others have pointed out, not just for getting into Uni but later in life. Many Access students do English or Maths GCSE alongside their main course - its very do-able.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by plainjayne1)
Even if the uni doesn't need a gcse in English, how useful is it in terms of employability post grad?
A lot of employers specifically request English and Maths GCSEs- in some careers it's essential, in others not so much. When employers are sifting through say 60-100 applications for one job, then cutting out those without the required GCSEs can be a good way for them to filter.

Some employers will accept functional skills for some jobs, but equally some employers may not actually know what a functional skills qualification is.

I can't put a figure on this, and obviously people do successfully secure employment without English GCSE, but I think not having it will make your life harder post-graduation.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You'll be fine. Just meet your UCAS and you're in. Unis these days need more students because they're short of them.
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thanks. I have mine, I was just interested in what you thought about it. The last thing I'd want to do after a degree is a maths and English gcse!
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
A lot of employers specifically request English and Maths GCSEs- in some careers it's essential, in others not so much. When employers are sifting through say 60-100 applications for one job, then cutting out those without the required GCSEs can be a good way for them to filter.

Some employers will accept functional skills for some jobs, but equally some employers may not actually know what a functional skills qualification is.

I can't put a figure on this, and obviously people do successfully secure employment without English GCSE, but I think not having it will make your life harder post-graduation.
Nautilus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If you want to study English language at university I would have thought that having it at GCSE would be a prerequisite. I am happy to be proved wrong, however.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by kaceyv)
I left school in 2014 with grade C in GCSE maths, have since taken functional skills L2 in English and will be beginning an access to HE course in Humanities and Social Sciences this year.

So far I hope to apply to do English language and linguistics (or something similar) at Uo Birmingham, Uo Manchester, Uo Plymouth or Uo Brighton. Would they accept the functional skills in English? Can anyone suggest some unis that definitely do accept it?

I do have the option to resit the english GCSE, the only reason I am hesitant to do so is that I'm having to reduce my work hours and to take 1 more day at college each week will make that a lot more difficult/ cut my income further.
The only way to find out is by doing research and checking the English requirements for each on their websites. Some will and some will not.
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think you'd struggle to jump straight to a degree in English and miss out on an English gcse. A uni that would accept that would be crazy. Are you doing level 3 English?
The access course that I did insisted that you have, or complete, English and maths. I did English in one year and maths alongside the access. Tbh I wish I'd done it the other way around. English was a lot less work than maths.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Functional Skills is a vocational qualification - it was designed to give those doing apprenticeships etc an achievable English qualification needed for further vocational qualifications or work. As City & Guilds describe it : Our maths & English qualifications underpin our apprenticeships and technical qualifications. They build learners’ confidence with the core skills required for employment, including the capacity to problem solve and use technology effectively.

It isn't an academic qualification and that is why most Unis will not accept it. It does not give you the skills you need for academic writing or study.

Practically all FE colleges will run GCSE Maths and English courses - because many school-leavers are required to retake them alongside other qualifications to get the desired C grade - and if the college doesn't or you can't access these courses, then there is always distance learning for that element : https://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/english-language-gcse? is just one example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.99%
No (76)
20.88%
Not sure (66)
18.13%

Watched Threads