Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey all,

I have a virgin router in my one bed flat and it's great in the lounge where its connected to the virgin box mains thing, but really crappy signal in my bedroom (maybe 10m away at tops). Can I ask virgin to give me a new router, or even better one that is more expensive (happy to pay more) that will reach further? Or could they improve the signal their end without a new router? I feel as if it should be more than capable of giving decent signal throughout my flat!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this sounds odd....

I have a virgin router in my one bed flat and it's great in the lounge where its connected to the virgin box

Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
this sounds odd....

I have a virgin router in my one bed flat and it's great in the lounge where its connected to the virgin box

what's wrong with that? *wall socket I think describes it better
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Hey all,

I have a virgin router in my one bed flat and it's great in the lounge where its connected to the virgin box mains thing, but really crappy signal in my bedroom (maybe 10m away at tops). Can I ask virgin to give me a new router, or even better one that is more expensive (happy to pay more) that will reach further? Or could they improve the signal their end without a new router? I feel as if it should be more than capable of giving decent signal throughout my flat!
It depends which one you have right now? Does it look like this?
Spoiler:
Show

If it does, that's the most recent one you can get.

If it doesn't then you should be able to get a better one but let me know and i'll give advice on that
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
It depends which one you have right now? Does it look like this?
Spoiler:
Show

If it does, that's the most recent one you can get.

If it doesn't then you should be able to get a better one but let me know and i'll give advice on that
yes this is the one I have - I have issues reaching wifi in the bedroom (where my desk is!) on both my laptop and phone, so I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the wifi as opposed to the devices.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes this is the one I have - I have issues reaching wifi in the bedroom (where my desk is!) on both my laptop and phone, so I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the wifi as opposed to the devices.
In that case you do have the best and most recent that Virgin Media will be able to provide. The wifi is from the device so the main options are either, you assume your Virgin Media supplied super hub is faulty and you request someone to look into it/send a replacement, you can buy yourself a better router and then use this or you look into powerline adapters (Send internet through your electricity cables).

How far is the router from your room? Are they really thick old walls?
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
In that case you do have the best and most recent that Virgin Media will be able to provide. The wifi is from the device so the main options are either, you assume your Virgin Media supplied super hub is faulty and you request someone to look into it/send a replacement, you can buy yourself a better router and then use this or you look into powerline adapters (Send internet through your electricity cables).

How far is the router from your room? Are they really thick old walls?
10m from my desk to router. One standard wall between the two rooms. What router would you recommend trying?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
10m from my desk to router. One standard wall between the two rooms. What router would you recommend trying?
In that case first port of call before you drop any money would be getting in touch with Virgin Media. Given I have the same the same one and can access the wifi 20m outside my house through the exterior brick wall.. Something seems a bit off.
I'd phone up, explain that your wifi was fine then more recently it's really intermittent and signal is terrible everyone. Lean towards an engineer coming to your house as they'll be able to test things properly and replace it as needed :yep:
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
In that case first port of call before you drop any money would be getting in touch with Virgin Media. Given I have the same the same one and can access the wifi 20m outside my house through the exterior brick wall.. Something seems a bit off.
I'd phone up, explain that your wifi was fine then more recently it's really intermittent and signal is terrible everyone. Lean towards an engineer coming to your house as they'll be able to test things properly and replace it as needed :yep:
perfect, thank you for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (645)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.62%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed