Turn on thread page Beta

UN says "Britain should get rid of the monarchy" watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...C-says-UN.html

No personally I say get stuffed, but there you go.

Opinions?

I quite like the fact places like Saudi (A monarchy!) and Cuba got the boot in. And Iran had a dig at our 'sex discrimination'!

Lovely place the UN eh?

ReputationRep:
    Britain says "UN should mind its own business!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kestrel_Lover_Sophie)
    Britain says "UN should mind its own business!"
    I think im in love...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, its not as if the monarchy play a massive role in British society nowadays. They just spend the tax payers money and don't really do much else.

ReputationRep:
    Ironic, you have to say, on the day Ban Ki-moon meets the queen :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The monarchy stand for everything that is wrong with our country...

Prince William flying himself to a stag doo in an army helichopter!?! when our army over in afganistan, iraq etc are in dier need of them!! Its a mockery!

They are a waste of money and a waste of space

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Monarchy what are they good for? Waste taxpayers money, the taxes that could be spent on education or NHS is spent on Price William flying a Chinook to his girls house. Its inherently wrong that a title or patronage is inherited not earned. Also the monacrh can refuse to sign legislation, effectively vetoing it, has not happened but why give such a power to an unelected representative that could veto legislation by elected representatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Jon.)

Prince William flying himself to a stag doo in an army helichopter!?! when our army over in afganistan, iraq etc are in dier need of them!! Its a mockery!

100% true.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hang the rich with the guts of the Church!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakunin)
    Hang the rich with the guts of the Church!
    Shoot the commies with 7.62x51mm NATO STANAG!

O NO GUISE, SUM1 IS RICHER THAN US, ENGAGE JEALOUSLY MODE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Jon.)

I'm sorry but this is bs. They are amazing diplomats for this country and get paid accordingly. They also pull in a lot of money in tourism which more than pays for the way they live...

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see the point of the Monarchy.

But I think Iran and Saudi Arabi should shut up about it they're so much worse.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no; someone is manipulating their control of the means of production to enslave and impoverish workers of the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I'm sorry but this is bs. They are amazing diplomats for this country and get paid accordingly. They also pull in a lot of money in tourism which more than pays for the way they live...
    Amazing diplmats?... i suggest you do some research before you come out with ignorant comments like that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-backyard.html

ReputationRep:
    What's with all the raving republican loonies congregating today?

(Original post by naz707)
    Agreed. Monarchy what are they good for? Waste taxpayers money, the taxes that could be spent on education or NHS
    No they couldn't be; Britain needs a head of state, and republican heads of state (for instance, in France or Germany) tend to be considerably more expensive. Notably, the Queen does not even get a salary.

Also the monacrh can refuse to sign legislation, effectively vetoing it, has not happened but why give such a power to an unelected representative that could veto legislation by elected representatives.
    Good, I say. A final check on the House of Commons, particularly when it can over-ride the Lords.

(Original post by .Jon.)
    I think that title goes deservedly to Republicans.

No they are not in any need of them. Surprisingly enough, we keep a hell of a lot of military equipment within the United Kingdom for very obvious reasons.

Equally I hardly think a few hi-jinks by RAF cadets are remotely worth changing our constitution for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Shoot the commies with 7.62x51mm NATO STANAG!

O NO GUISE, SUM1 IS RICHER THAN US, ENGAGE JEALOUSLY MODE
    Richer through their own effort? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MakingMoves)
    Haha, its not as if the monarchy play a massive role in British society nowadays. They just spend the tax payers money and don't really do much else.
    Possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard in ages.

Whilst not governing the country, they play a huge role. Prince Andrew stimulates trade with Britain, both Prince Charles and Prince Phillip work tirelessley to help conserve the British environment, the Monarchy accounts for 35% of tourism to Britain which boosts the economy by roughly £220 billion per annum. All for 64p from every tax-payer per annum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Jon.)
    I agree entirely.
    Consumer debt.
    Child obesity.
    Knife crime.

Amongst others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    They don't get paid. Admittedly they have a pretty good expense account, but they're not paid a penny.

(Original post by .Jon.)
    Amazing diplmats?... i suggest you do some research before you come out with ignorant comments like that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-backyard.html
    I suggest you stop talking complete rot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MakingMoves)
    Richer through their own effort? No.
    Er, yes. The Royal Family is independently wealthy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.