I have £96,000 in the stock market, AMA. Watch

maachu_pichuu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Ok, haven't done one of these in a while. Stock market is going great, core positions in Apple (AAPL), Square (SQ) and Visa (V).

Closing in on £100,000 fast. US economy on fire, AMA.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
nice to see your numbers going up
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think even me dad nan knows you own some stocks.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
nice to see your numbers going up
It's more of a case of the US economy running hot right now. My picks have done well as well, though I am struggling to find value now. I have opened a new position in Boeing, since I like businesses with high barriers to entry and good pricing power.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
I think even me dad nan knows you own some stocks.
Haha
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you investing in stocks for your pension?
Or as a business that you want your future children to inherit and expand.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Are you investing in stocks for your pension?
Or as a business that you want your future children to inherit and expand.
I actually enjoy what I do, like people who enjoy buying clothes or new iphones, I enjoy buying stocks. It's like my hobby, that pays well apparently. I don't know what my kids will do, I will try to teach them the value of saving and investing. In my game, you need money to pull in more money. I know people will say, what's the point in earning money if you aren't going to spend it, but I'll find some good uses for it in the future.
Satyr
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Could you lose it all in one go?

I know that this is not very likely but if it is possible then that must be very stressful for you
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satyr)
Could you lose it all in one go?

I know that this is not very likely but if it is possible then that must be very stressful for you
The market runs on two emotions, fear and greed, it's almost like a pendulum. This causes stocks to swing between overpriced and underpriced. That means the market quotations of the companies I own can vary wildly between a few days and weeks, Mr Market gets very happy at times, but he also gets very sad at times. You learn to control your emotions and buy from Mr Market when he is sad, you ignore him when he is happy. That in turn is half the equation of how to buy stocks.

You could in theory lose it all in one go, but if that were to happen, stocks would be the least of my problems (food and ammunition would be my priority). What I own is parts of the US and UK economies, if they go to zero, we have bigger problems in the world.
Palmyra
Report 3 weeks ago
Make sure you keep us updated once there's a recession in the US in the next 2-3 years.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by maachu_pichuu)
I actually enjoy what I do, like people who enjoy buying clothes or new iphones, I enjoy buying stocks. It's like my hobby, that pays well apparently. I don't know what my kids will do, I will try to teach them the value of saving and investing. In my game, you need money to pull in more money. I know people will say, what's the point in earning money if you aren't going to spend it, but I'll find some good uses for it in the future.
I think you are the millennial generation's equivalent to Buffett and Soros.
Good luck!
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Palmyra)
Make sure you keep us updated once there's a recession in the US in the next 2-3 years.
Haha, will be a bloodbath for sure. Though December 2018 was pretty violent with a CBOE VIX above 35 (fear index). The CBOE VIX was at 45 in the 2008 recession. I know how stocks can swing violently, but I will make sure I have enough cash to buy when they drop.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
I think you are the millennial generation's equivalent to Buffett and Soros.
Good luck!
Nah I would need to have a few million by now, but I can get to the point where I have a few million in my 60s.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
security => psychological peace of mind. if you have lots of money it doesn't matter if you get made redundant.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
security => psychological peace of mind. if you have lots of money it doesn't matter if you get made redundant.
Money gives you freedom, not happiness, happiness is a mental state that can be achieved without money. But for sure, if you are rich, you can do what you want. Having freedom in life means a lot to me, you are only free once you can live off your dividends.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Money gives you freedom, not happiness, happiness is a mental state that can be achieved without money. But for sure, if you are rich, you can do what you want. Having freedom in life means a lot to me, you are only free once you can live off your dividends.
I agree.

Money might not be happiness but it can make the route to happiness easier. E.g. if travelling makes you happy then if you have more money you can travel more but if you are living pay check to pay check, your options to travel are more limited and thus you can't do the things that make you happy.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How much did you start out with and how much does it cost to do each trade?
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by karl pilkington)
How much did you start out with and how much does it cost to do each trade?
I think I have around £23,000 in profit, plus around £4000 from dividends. So I assume I started out with around £69,000. Though I have been adding as I have been going along. My first stock I bought was Starbucks in 2015 for $57 a share, I bought £2000 worth.

I use Freetrade mainly now, it's free to buy and sell (at 4 pm) and £1 any other time when markets are open. You also need to pay fx fees and stamp duty (if applicable).
Palmyra
Report 3 weeks ago
I think I have around £23,000 in profit, plus around £4000 from dividends. So I assume I started out with around £69,000. Though I have been adding as I have been going along. My first stock I bought was Starbucks in 2015 for $57 a share, I bought £2000 worth.

I use Freetrade mainly now, it's free to buy and sell (at 4 pm) and £1 any other time when markets are open. You also need to pay fx fees and stamp duty (if applicable).
£23,000 in profit in how many years?
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Palmyra)
£23,000 in profit in how many years?
I assume 3 and a bit, but I have been adding as I go along. I only had around £13,000 invested after year 1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (13)
18.57%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (10)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (17)
24.29%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (25)
35.71%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.43%
No particular grades needed (4)
5.71%