Why Should I study Physics and Maths together at A - level? Watch

Galeriapaints
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why Should I study Physics and Maths together at A - level rather than just one of them without the other?
Last edited by Galeriapaints; 1 month ago
yoxox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Physics requires the knowledge of maths
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's quite a vague question...

If you're asking why you should study both physics and maths rather than just one of them without the other, it's mainly because A level physics requires you to be very comfortable with manipulating equations and doing calculations and whilst the physics course is designed to be accessible to people not taking A level maths, the extra skills you pick up when doing lots of maths can be helpful in physics. Many people who take physics without maths at A level tend to do far less well than those that do take maths, although other factors (e.g. interest or future uni plans) may influence this as well.

If you're planning to study A level maths, there's no need to do physics alongside it if you don't want to, although a very small number of the top universities like it if maths degree applicants take physics.

Also, degree programmes involving physics (or fields like engineering that use some applied physics) virtually always require A level maths alongside physics, so you wouldn't be able to apply for one of these courses without A level maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?