The Student Room Group

How do you register for an examination independently ?

How do you register for an examination such as an A-level without attending a school?
Original post by Galeriapaints
How do you register for an examination such as an A-level without attending a school?

You're going to have to find a centre that does the exam you want and ask them. Exam boards usually have a list of them on their website. This is for AQA.
Reply 2
You find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate and pay them to let you sit the exams there. The entry deadline at the exam boards for the Summer is 21 February but you need to get looking for a centre before Christmas as not many centres do accept private candidates and many will stop accepting a while before this as they need to do their own admin before the entry deadline.

Subjects with any non examination assessment (coursework or science practicals) are expensive and difficult to take as a private candidate. What are you thinking of taking?
Mathematics A level.
Original post by Compost
You find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate and pay them to let you sit the exams there. The entry deadline at the exam boards for the Summer is 21 February but you need to get looking for a centre before Christmas as not many centres do accept private candidates and many will stop accepting a while before this as they need to do their own admin before the entry deadline.

Subjects with any non examination assessment (coursework or science practicals) are expensive and difficult to take as a private candidate. What are you thinking of taking?
You could see if there are any home school support groups in your area, they will at least know which schools are friendly to external candidates and may even have their own centre set up. I sat A level Spanish this year at such a place:

In my case I was studying the course online through NEC so my exams were booked though them.They guarantee that they can get you a place in one of their partner centres (though your nearest one may be a long way away):
It's more expensive than just self-studying and booking the exam yourself though of course.
Reply 5
Original post by Galeriapaints
Mathematics A level.

That's as simple as it gets so shouldn't be too much trouble. Pearson Edexcel is the most popular exam board so, if you have no other strong preference, I'd go with that.

Quick Reply

Latest