pjmh97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I went to uni a few years ago and I was ill in my first year. I did 2 terms then left. I returned the year after and did the same again and left because I didn’t want to do the course. I really want to go back to university to study something different. I’m just not sure how the loans and everything will work out. As I can’t afford to pay to go to university, I would be fully dependent on loans. Is this even possible? Plz help lol
HertsExRep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Student Finance website only states:

"You may get limited funding if:
- you change course
- you leave your course but decide to start again"

Looking here, you may have to a reduction of finance because you have been at University for two years, however since you did not fully complete both years then I am unsure as to whether that will still apply. Also that article is not dated so may be out of date. Might be best to contact Student Finance and explain your situation to see what they would recommend.
(Original post by pjmh97)
I went to uni a few years ago and I was ill in my first year. I did 2 terms then left. I returned the year after and did the same again and left because I didn’t want to do the course. I really want to go back to university to study something different. I’m just not sure how the loans and everything will work out. As I can’t afford to pay to go to university, I would be fully dependent on loans. Is this even possible? Plz help lol
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pjmh97)
From what you've told us, it sounds like you'd be entitled to 2 years worth of funding from Student Finance. As you are normally allowed funding for the length of your course + 1 gift year, and you've used up 2 years worth of funding previously, 2 years of funding is what you should have left. The only way you would be entitled to more is if you had put in a mitigating circumstances claim to Student Finance for the year in which you fell ill, which may not be possible now (although you'd need to check this). Therefore, you will need to pay for the first year of your new course yourself (if it's a 3 year course), with Student Finance funding restarting in your second year.

Alternative ways to fund your first year is to work for now and save up, ask family for financial support, or find a company to sponsor you.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Herts UG Student Rep)
since you did not fully complete both years then I am unsure as to whether that will still apply.
:fyi: even if a student is registered for only a few days then drops out (but still receives their first loan payment), or only borrows £1 from Student Finance, it still counts as a whole academic year's worth of funding being used up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (64)
13.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.49%
No - I live at home during term anyway (137)
28.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise