Ask about Engineering Apprenticeships Watch

Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Isaacsayers)
Have an offer from heriot watt, I just applied to give myself more options. I Found a civil engineering graduate apprenticeship in Edinburgh, which I’m waiting to hear back from so I’m going to try and get that apprenticeship, just thinking about how much work it will involve. If I didn’t get that apprenticeship I feel studying a hnc/hnd in civil engineering at Edinburgh college would be an alright back up (while still trying to get the apprenticeship) as it only increases my chances of getting one, but also If I choose to do uni I could just enter year 2 or 3 of my degree.
To answer the work that it will involve first, I would say that it is a lot of work - a 40 hour week plus revision (some companies may give you time at work to revise so this may not be a problem). It does require a lot more than uni but it sure pays off.

To answer the second question about entering further in, this really depends on the employer, I can't see why they would make you redo years that have already been completed; in my company, people that already had done the qualifications or some modules of that qualification were not made to redo it.
Hoc est Bellum
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Isaacsayers)
Have an offer from heriot watt, I just applied to give myself more options. I Found a civil engineering graduate apprenticeship in Edinburgh, which I’m waiting to hear back from so I’m going to try and get that apprenticeship, just thinking about how much work it will involve. If I didn’t get that apprenticeship I feel studying a hnc/hnd in civil engineering at Edinburgh college would be an alright back up (while still trying to get the apprenticeship) as it only increases my chances of getting one, but also If I choose to do uni I could just enter year 2 or 3 of my degree.
An an apprentice, it will be a lot more work than college/uni is. It will essentially be Uni in one day and the rest of the working week will be a full time job (some jobs will give you an additional day/amount of time to revise/study/do assignments in work time - this is definitely something to ask about in an interview). Yes a hnc/hnd would be a good backup, good luck!
zootzoot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hoc est Bellum)
An an apprentice, it will be a lot more work than college/uni is. It will essentially be Uni in one day and the rest of the working week will be a full time job (some jobs will give you an additional day/amount of time to revise/study/do assignments in work time - this is definitely something to ask about in an interview). Yes a hnc/hnd would be a good backup, good luck!
Hi,

Im looking into degree apprenticeships for mechanical engineering and I'd like to ask:
1) How competitive is it to get into a degree apprenticeship at a company (like BAE or Rolls Royce), compared to their graduate schemes (After uni)
2) Do you think it will be more difficult changing which engineering sector you work in after you have finished, compared to after graduating from uni (E.g. Doing an apprenticeship at an aerospace firm but afterwards wanting to work in automotive or defence ect)

Many thanks
Hoc est Bellum
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by zootzoot)
Hi,

Im looking into degree apprenticeships for mechanical engineering and I'd like to ask:
1) How competitive is it to get into a degree apprenticeship at a company (like BAE or Rolls Royce), compared to their graduate schemes (After uni)
2) Do you think it will be more difficult changing which engineering sector you work in after you have finished, compared to after graduating from uni (E.g. Doing an apprenticeship at an aerospace firm but afterwards wanting to work in automotive or defence ect)

Many thanks
Firstly, BAE and rolls Royce are really competitive programs, particularly at degree level, you'll be looking at about 200+ applications per position probably even more than that. This is however not as competitive as grad schemes, bae and rolls Royce are some of the top schemes and with so many unemployed grads, lots of people will apply for these types of things.

It is not challenging to switch sectors, you will have an engineering degree plus engineering experience which is very highly sought after by employers. However, it can hurt your chances if you do it too often as employers may think you are going to leave after a few years (which is surprisingly common amoungst grads and apprentices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.53%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.29%
No- I want it (232)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.64%

Watched Threads