Ask about Engineering Apprenticeships

Watch this thread
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by jay9330)
Hi, after working in the water industry for eight years I've got the opportunity to study my Civil Engineering degree funded through my work as a degree apprenticeship at Portsmouth. The only stumbling block I have at the moment is our HR department wants to be 100% sure that the company can offer me enough exposure to Civil Engineering in my role in order to complete the requirements for the University.

My current role doesn't sit directly in Civil Engineering, as typically you need to have the qualifications prior to moving into this area of the business (hence me going to study). I work in Water Treatment investigating areas where we can optimise the energy usage throughout our processes. Although a lot of my work is involved with supporting businesses cases for Asset Management and the business' engineers I'm not directly involved with any capital works. I can get the exposure to visit ongoing projects in the business and have Civil Engineering colleagues however these aren't projects I can put my name on as directly involved myself.

My question is around is the level of involvement I'd need to complete a degree apprenticeship? If we are talking going out to see projects, routine inspections, studying them and writing up reports for my degree then I've got lots of colleagues in the business I can do this through. But if the level is pitched at me needing to have a project of my own (e.g. designing and building capital works such as reservoirs etc) I might struggle to do this directly through my job.

If so am I setting myself up to fail by doing a degree apprenticeship?
Sorry that this question was not answered. I personally can't answer this as I do not have in-depth knowledge about civil engineering and water treatment. May I ask how everything is going for you now?
jay9330
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Hoc est Bellum)
Sorry that this question was not answered. I personally can't answer this as I do not have in-depth knowledge about civil engineering and water treatment. May I ask how everything is going for you now?
This turned into a bit of a saga with my HR department which resulted in them pulling the funding. They decided that they didn’t think I’d get enough exposure to engineering in my role. Something I’ve spoken to various universities about since who are bewildered having looked at my CV and previous experience. I actually did a bit of CPD tracking work that showed that I’ve already completed half the requirements for IEng through previous projects and work I’ve completed.
There’s other underlying reasons HR are being funny about this that they won’t admit. As much as I believe escalating my case would get the funding back, I can’t be bothered to stomp my feet. I have aspirations of leaving this company and working in engineering abroad. A degree apprenticeship would only have meant me being tied down to them for a few more years.
I am going at the degree alone and start a course at University of West London studying Civil & Environmental Engineering this month. Something my manager has really supported me on, giving me Mondays off work for lectures, in spite of HR’s pettiness.
I’m not that fussed about the funding out of my own pocket as was planning to study previous to the funding being offered to me. It is a little disheartening to be turned down by a company I’ve worked for 7 years (my whole adult working life) however. Especially as they’ve just recruited 17 new engineer apprentices that they’ve given the funding too…
Indy.k
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there, Were there any extra curricular activities that you did specific to engineering that you think helped you stand out on your CV?
Indy.Khara
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hoc est Bellum)
Hi Everyone, I began my first apprenticeship in September 2018 and began my degree level apprenticeship in September 2020 and I am happy to answer any questions you may have.
Hi there, are there any extra curricular activities to do with engineering that helped you stand out on your CV as showing interest towards the industry?
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Indy.Khara)
Hi there, are there any extra curricular activities to do with engineering that helped you stand out on your CV as showing interest towards the industry?
For my software engineering (level 6) apprenticeship I built a website portfolio to demonstrate my programming skills and interest. I also brought up some things I would like to add to the website and some things I could improve on.

For my manufacturing apprenticeship (level 3), I built a distance sensor with a raspberry pi and a few components. I also spoke about some things I would like to build if I had the budget (I was 15 at the time) - a bluetooth lock for my door, an automatic cat feeder etc.

I can't really suggest any "activities" as I don't really believe many exist (outside of school, college or uni societies). I would suggest working on a project in your own time. It doesn't need to be good, it just needs to demonstrate interest and an ability to learn. That's all apprenticeship providers really should care about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
18.59%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (39)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (81)
51.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.49%

Watched Threads