Can you achieve an A in A-level Maths with hard work alone?

Watch
kieren02w
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I either want to study engineering or medicine at university as I find myself in the tricky situations of enjoying and being reasonably good at the three sciences and maths. I understand that maths is essential for engineering and would fit nicely alongside physics.
However, maths has never really come naturally to me and has been something I have had to work harder in to achieve a good grade. If I choose the engineering route I plan to take maths, physics and chemistry but if I choose the medical route, I plan to take maths, biology and chemistry or physics, biology and chemistry. I'm predicted 9's in the three sciences but a 7 in maths at GCSE level. I am concerned that to achieve A/A* in A-level maths, you need to be somewhat naturally gifted

Basically, would I be able to achieve a grade A in A-level maths with hard work alone or is there an element of talent needed to achieve these top grades?
student_2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you do edexcel then you just need to go online on social media the day before the exam to secure ur A/A*.
Jokes aside with hard work anything is possible, as long as you are being realistic with yourself that is.
kieren02w
Rep:
?
Ahah, It seemed every gcse paper was "leaked" the day before too. Thank you for the advice
(Original post by student_2000)
If you do edexcel then you just need to go online on social media the day before the exam to secure ur A/A*.
Jokes aside with hard work anything is possible, as long as you are being realistic with yourself that is.
TSU - Mod
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

I was in the same boat as you last September. Got my GCSEs and was wondering how much of a challenge A level maths would be. Im also interested in both medicine and engineering and am currently taking maths, chemistry and physics. Firstly these subjects (maths, chemistry and physics) are great if you haven't decided between the two degrees yet. You have the physics and maths for engineering, but also the chemistry for medicine (lots of Russel group unis don't have biology as a requirement, including oxbridge)

As others have said, A level maths is fine, and you can definitely achieve an A* grade by working hard consistently throughout the year. Use a wide range of resources (the internet is great).
kieren02w
Rep:
?
Thank you for the advice. I never considered dropping biology but It seems like I'm swaying away from medicine to engineering in which dropping biology would be the logical decision.
(Original post by TSU - Mod)
Hi there,

I was in the same boat as you last September. Got my GCSEs and was wondering how much of a challenge A level maths would be. Im also interested in both medicine and engineering and am currently taking maths, chemistry and physics. Firstly these subjects (maths, chemistry and physics) are great if you haven't decided between the two degrees yet. You have the physics and maths for engineering, but also the chemistry for medicine (lots of Russel group unis don't have biology as a requirement, including oxbridge)

As others have said, A level maths is fine, and you can definitely achieve an A* grade by working hard consistently throughout the year. Use a wide range of resources (the internet is great).
2childmum!
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you will find there is a lot of maths in engineering - so if you plan to go that route you need to be prepared for that. It might be worth checking out the different branches of engineering to see if any of them are less maths based
yoxox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't believe in being naturally good at maths, you can still achieve high grades if you work really hard for it!
kieren02w
Rep:
?
Thank you for the advice!

(Original post by yoxox)
I don't believe in being naturally good at maths, you can still achieve high grades if you work really hard for it!
username4378620
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Short answer: YES.

I was easily the slowest in maths in secondary school. This didn't change in sixth form. I'd always be last to grasp new topics. Didn't stop me from getting A* in Maths GCSE and A*s in both Maths and Further Maths A-Level. Hard work trumps all. You can do it.
kieren02w
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmperorNino)
Short answer: YES.

I was easily the slowest in maths in secondary school. This didn't change in sixth form. I'd always be last to grasp new topics. Didn't stop me from getting A* in Maths GCSE and A*s in both Maths and Further Maths A-Level. Hard work trumps all. You can do it.
Thank you. I am beginning to believe it is possible!
Geodesic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kieren02w)
I either want to study engineering or medicine at university as I find myself in the tricky situations of enjoying and being reasonably good at the three sciences and maths. I understand that maths is essential for engineering and would fit nicely alongside physics.
However, maths has never really come naturally to me and has been something I have had to work harder in to achieve a good grade. If I choose the engineering route I plan to take maths, physics and chemistry but if I choose the medical route, I plan to take maths, biology and chemistry or physics, biology and chemistry. I'm predicted 9's in the three sciences but a 7 in maths at GCSE level. I am concerned that to achieve A/A* in A-level maths, you need to be somewhat naturally gifted

Basically, would I be able to achieve a grade A in A-level maths with hard work alone or is there an element of talent needed to achieve these top grades?
No, you absolutely do not need to be naturally gifted to get an A/A* at A-level maths. And with a 7 at GCSE you're on the right track, it's definitely possible if you work well!
kieren02w
Rep:
?
(Original post by Geodesic)
No, you absolutely do not need to be naturally gifted to get an A/A* at A-level maths. And with a 7 at GCSE you're on the right track, it's definitely possible if you work well!
Thank you! I definitely have a better idea of what I'm going to do now.
sara15543
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're not naturally gifted at maths the hardest thing will be understanding the concepts. Make sure you understand them very well when you learn them and from then onwards it's just about practicing which is the same for those naturally good at maths. So basically yeah
Keeperoflegends
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do think that the main point for maths or any science subjects is logic. Personally do not like over practicing maths questions esp simple ones as I believe that it would made me doing the questions robotically and without thinking and limit my thoughts when doing harder questions. It is gd to do simple questions to make your concepts clear but not doing all of them pointlessly unless u must do so to remember certain important steps. Recommend u to do more difficult questions while preparing for your exams I mean if you are fine with the hard ones then u r fine with the simple ones
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed