Wanting to move to a different university for Law

Watch
Francis220
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently study law with foundation at UEL (uni of East London) . I have recently completed my foundation year and after long thought and consideration I am wanting to move to another university in London.

I was wondering if anyone does a law, law with criminology or criminal law course at any universities in London and whether they enjoy it?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Francis220)
I currently study law with foundation at UEL (uni of East London) . I have recently completed my foundation year and after long thought and consideration I am wanting to move to another university in London.

I was wondering if anyone does a law, law with criminology or criminal law course at any universities in London and whether they enjoy it?
You are going to have to see what grades you got then contact all the usual suspects to see if they will take you based on your grades. There will be a limited number of unis, so you should get a move on as places fill up. Alternatively you can ask through clearing.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Law
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

What are your reasons for wanting to transfer away from UEL? Is it the area or is it the uni itself that you want to move away from? Your best bet at this stage is probably to see which unis in London are currently advertising vacancies in Clearing, and give their Admissions a call to see whether they would accept a transfer. The problem is that a lot of the London unis require very good A levels as they are so competitive to get into.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would try some of the more off the beaten path options... Ie less popular but still good.

Royal Holloway
City University
London Southbank
University of Law

In addition to your prestigious places... To give yourself more options.
Galeriapaints
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would you consider studying outside of London?

Perhaps, find something inside of that course a topic area you really like and roll with it. The ** content ** of Law with Criminology is going to be similar at each University, it will only be slight changes in delivery that makes the difference.

Why not work in the Citizens Advice Bureau part time or do something on the side ( related to your studies) that makes the course seem more interesting.
Last edited by Galeriapaints; 2 years ago
Francis220
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You are going to have to see what grades you got then contact all the usual suspects to see if they will take you based on your grades. There will be a limited number of unis, so you should get a move on as places fill up. Alternatively you can ask through clearing.
I already know my grades. I don’t exactly need advice I just want to know how others find their course at other universities before I make a decision.
Francis220
Rep:
?
Thank you!!
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
I would try some of the more off the beaten path options... Ie less popular but still good.

Royal Holloway
City University
London Southbank
University of Law

In addition to your prestigious places... To give yourself more options.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
I already know my grades. I don’t exactly need advice I just want to know how others find their course at other universities before I make a decision.
How long is a piece of string?
Some people are going to enjoy and it will be the best decision ever, some will hate and regret it.
I dont see why that should influence your decision?
Have you been to open days?
Which unis will you apply to or have given you offers?

If you are applying to uni Z, but someone enjoys it at uni M, then how is that relevant to you?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Once you have shortlisted the unis you are interested in down to a couple, you could post in the appropriate uni forums (for example, the City uni forum or the Westminster uni forum) asking current students at those places how they find it. But at the moment you seem to be considering any uni in London?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As a rule of thumb, most Unis will look at the A level grades East London wants for admission to their Law degree and base the perceived 'level' of your Foundation on that - ie. 112 UCAS points. So, you can probably forget 'high grade' Unis unless your Foundation results are truly spectacular.

With 112 points you could aim at these : https://www.whatuni.com/degree-cours...oints=112&rf=g and its possible that some other Unis with entry requirements just above this may also be a possibility. You are obviously restricting your choices considerably if you stick just to London.
Francis220
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
How long is a piece of string?
Some people are going to enjoy and it will be the best decision ever, some will hate and regret it.
I dont see why that should influence your decision?
Have you been to open days?
Which unis will you apply to or have given you offers?

If you are applying to uni Z, but someone enjoys it at uni M, then how is that relevant to you?
The aim is to find out how others find the teaching in the university. Open days do not show that. Understanding how students who are actually there find the teaching will benefit me. Have a lovely week.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
The aim is to find out how others find the teaching in the university. Open days do not show that. Understanding how students who are actually there find the teaching will benefit me. Have a lovely week.
Again you dont see the flaws in your questions. Maybe work out which unis are open to you first and then come back to the issue of choosing the one you believe may be suited to you.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
I don’t have bad grades I already have uni’s in mind but being able to have people tell me about other uni’s helps because I might not have even considered it or heard of it before. For example, the person who listed uni’s previously I didn’t know about a couple on that list. Like I said already. Have a good week.
If you want advice then why not tell us what grades you have so we can suggest unis or come back with a list of what unis have said they will consider you, then people who go to those unis might spend the time giving you some feedback. How many London unis are there 10, 15, 20?
If half of them wont consider you then anyone from those unis who provides feedback is wasting their time.
Francis220
Rep:
?
I already got answers away from this.
If you’re going to be patronising do not respond.
You can also have a good week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads